DLC is becoming trully a rip-off - Page 2

 
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.




DLC is becoming trully a rip-off

Video Games & Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Reply With Quote TheSpore is offline
  #11 Old 03-11-12, 12:09 AM DLC is becoming trully a rip-off
TheSpore
Senior Member
TheSpore's Avatar
TheSpore's Flag is: USA
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,479
Reputation: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
Firstly, you've obviously no clue about how any computer files work. A file to unlock another file is NEVER as big as the file it unlocks. Simply, whats the point? Its just wasted code and space if that was the case.

Secondly, as someone who has friends who write computer code for a living, used to work in PC software repairs, and knows how encryptian software works, I'm pretty well qualified to know how to look for files that get hidden and burried. So you can spout all the bollocks you want to about hidden files, I know for a fact they're not there.

And i'll point out to you, while PC's and consoles are different systems... ALL console software is still written on a PC in the first place, so they share many opperational simularities.

Your 'source' happens to be by an attention seeking blogger who offers no credentials, backup, or information about how to go look for these files yourself, or for that matter any screenshots of any size so that people can see anything beyond what may well easily be a doctored image. Soo.. that ammounts to zero solid evidence...

For someone who's 'good at research'... you clearly know crap.



And one more thing.... IF this was true.... why is not a single well known, high profile gaming website of any kind picking up on it?
Here we go again, your background means nothing these files can be hidden within files within files within files, BTW you don't know my background either I was not only an analyst, but I have a degree in programming and am married to a woman who is and IT for the US Navy, don't even think you can question my exerience or intelligence level.

This source has never been confirmed nor has it been denied, but does have a bit of validity to and if Im not mistaken there are screen shots on the link, you also want to add that it hasn't been covered by anyone else, fine here we go
Gaming Blend
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Mas...All-40298.html
The Escapist
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Effect-3-Discs
Mega Gamerz
http://tbreak.com/megamers/54706/new...-effect-3-dlc/

Once again you have no sources, sorry you knowing a sofware guy who knows a guy is not a source, nor claiming yourself is a source, I will say it again you have no crediability so just stop.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote GrizBe is offline
  #12 Old 03-11-12, 08:53 AM DLC is becoming trully a rip-off
GrizBe
Senior Member
GrizBe's Flag is: England
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,232
Reputation: 10


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpore View Post
Here we go again, your background means nothing these files can be hidden within files within files within files, BTW you don't know my background either I was not only an analyst, but I have a degree in programming and am married to a woman who is and IT for the US Navy, don't even think you can question my exerience or intelligence level.

This source has never been confirmed nor has it been denied, but does have a bit of validity to and if Im not mistaken there are screen shots on the link, you also want to add that it hasn't been covered by anyone else, fine here we go
Gaming Blend
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Mas...All-40298.html
The Escapist
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Effect-3-Discs
Mega Gamerz
http://tbreak.com/megamers/54706/new...-effect-3-dlc/

Once again you have no sources, sorry you knowing a sofware guy who knows a guy is not a source, nor claiming yourself is a source, I will say it again you have no crediability so just stop.

Well considering your obviously soo completely clueless, I don't think I need to question your intelligence, as its obviously none existant....

Again I ask 'why has not a single CREDIBLE, HIGH PROFILE site run with this'... and your answer is a bunch of know nothing blogs, copy and pasting from the origional sensationalist, attention seeking bloggers site....

The screenshots you claim to exist, show NOTHING appart from a short list of files that could hav eeasily been doctored, and since your 'source' is giving zero sources, explaination of how to obtain said files or anything.... you completely fail yet again.

Just admit your clueless and wrong and move on. So what if people dislike day one DLC.. Its no reason to spout of a bunch of blatent lies a 5 year old who thinks Pokemon is the epitome of gaming could see through.
Reply With Quote

Reply With Quote Doelago is offline
  #13 Old 03-11-12, 10:11 AM DLC is becoming trully a rip-off
Doelago
I am Alpharius.
Doelago's Avatar
Doelago's Flag is: Finland
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,204
Reputation: 8


Default

Calm down children. No reason as to why we cannot keep this discussion level headed and mature.
__________________
[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Reply With Quote

Reply With Quote TheSpore is offline
  #14 Old 03-11-12, 01:54 PM DLC is becoming trully a rip-off
TheSpore
Senior Member
TheSpore's Avatar
TheSpore's Flag is: USA
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,479
Reputation: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
Well considering your obviously soo completely clueless, I don't think I need to question your intelligence, as its obviously none existant....

Again I ask 'why has not a single CREDIBLE, HIGH PROFILE site run with this'... and your answer is a bunch of know nothing blogs, copy and pasting from the origional sensationalist, attention seeking bloggers site....

The screenshots you claim to exist, show NOTHING appart from a short list of files that could hav eeasily been doctored, and since your 'source' is giving zero sources, explaination of how to obtain said files or anything.... you completely fail yet again.

Just admit your clueless and wrong and move on. So what if people dislike day one DLC.. Its no reason to spout of a bunch of blatent lies a 5 year old who thinks Pokemon is the epitome of gaming could see through.
But, it is not lies nor is it truth, I never trully said it was true, I simply stated that the evidence shows said claim and is an assessment, niether you norI can confirm or deny the claim. Just shut up and move on, you have turned a single thread I created to discuss something completly different and I'm already sick of your bullshit trolling. Just next time you want to be ignorant and stupid about something you best back your shit up, because right now thus far I have proven to have much more credibility than you. Before you want to even disprove a claim you cannot simply say its this way because I say its this way, where is your hard evidence to disprove the this person's claim, you have none, as of now you posted nothing more than an opinion which is completely worthless and cannot be proven true or false. The sad part is you want to question one's intelligence and spout off insults, that just makes you look even less credible, niether of us is wrong nor are we right so just drop it and quit now while you think you are ahead.
Reply With Quote

Reply With Quote D-A-C is offline
  #15 Old 03-11-12, 05:47 PM DLC is becoming trully a rip-off
D-A-C
Well That Was Unexpected
D-A-C's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,646
Reputation: 2


Default

I don't know guys, I think maybe there is a certain level of overreaction to DLC.

Sure, sometimes it can be a bit expensive, but to be honest, with things like Steam around (I know some people hate it) buying games has never been easier or chaper.

In the last few months I've bought, Skyrim, Civilization 5, Tropico 4, Hearts of Iron III and Shogun 2 for around 50.

Not to mention that alot of the makers of these games continue to patch them long after release, free of charge (mostly).

The pricing of DLC often has more to do with the 'big business' guys rather than the actual makers of the games. They have profit margins to look after, and if they didn't keep making the money, we wouldn't keep getting better and better games.

As someone said, that's Capitalism. We could argue the benifits of other economic systems and imagine more 'just' ways to distribute computer games and software (and indeed we should have those discussions), but for the moment Capitalism is the only viable game in town and that is the way it works.

You know how you complain? You DONT buy the product. Or like me you be a bit more patient and wait till it is reduced in price a few months down the line.

You'd be suprised at how economical you can be with a little patience, plus the games have usually been patched two or three times, meaning that when you sit down to play it for the first time, its even better!
__________________
Reply With Quote

Reply With Quote Iron Angel is offline
  #16 Old 03-11-12, 06:54 PM DLC is becoming trully a rip-off
Iron Angel
Senior Member
Iron Angel's Avatar
Iron Angel's Flag is: USA
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,265
Reputation: 13


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
(Ad hominem insults and flaming)

I choose not to believe your sources. Because I choose not to believe them they must be liars.

I choose not to believe your proof. Because I choose not to believe it it must be fake.

(More ad hominem insults and flaming)
__________________
Reply With Quote

Reply With Quote Varakir is offline
  #17 Old 03-11-12, 07:01 PM DLC is becoming trully a rip-off
Varakir
Senior Member
Varakir's Avatar
Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,631
Reputation: 40


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
You know how you complain? You DONT buy the product. Or like me you be a bit more patient and wait till it is reduced in price a few months down the line.
Indeed, vote with your wallet. If you feel that they are trying to charge you for stuff that should already be in the game, then don't buy the game.

I'm not against DLC, and when it's done right it's awesome, but It does feel like we're on our way down a slippery slope. The days when 'extra content' was awarded for getting high scores, beating challenges and investing in a game are gone.....now you just have to pay them another fiver.
__________________

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase


Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Reply With Quote

Reply With Quote VixusKragov is offline
  #18 Old 03-11-12, 10:19 PM DLC is becoming trully a rip-off
VixusKragov
Senior Member
VixusKragov's Avatar
VixusKragov's Flag is: USA
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 763
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Calm down children. No reason as to why we cannot keep this discussion level headed and mature.
__________________
Reply With Quote

Reply With Quote Wusword77 is offline
  #19 Old 03-12-12, 01:24 AM DLC is becoming trully a rip-off
Wusword77
Senior Member
Wusword77's Avatar
Wusword77's Flag is: USA
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,624
Reputation: 4


Default

So we got 2 people, who don't work in the gaming industry in any capacity, let alone as a programmer or producer or director, or even work for EA/Bioware (the main "villain" in this instance) making claims one way or the other as to if something was pulled from a finished title to make DLC.

To be fair, I do not work in the industry in any capacity. I do have some insight into game design though so I'm going to share some info I feel may be helpful.

Now to give people something to think about, DLC is NOT created in a vacuum. Most idea's for DLC comes off the cutting room floor of the main game. This means that many of the DLC ideas could have been (and most likely were) ideas that were meant to be put into the release build of the game, but for whatever reason did not make it.

This also means that the designs/animations/VO could have been (and usually is) done BEFORE the decision was made that the content wouldn't be put into the game. They may not (and most likely don't) have any actual content done (like missions) at this phase but rather cut the concept itself from the main game, as it doesn't mesh with their plans for the game.

Should they delete any animations, VO work, or designs that don't make it into their games after they are completed, just because they've elected not to use them as part of the main game? Hell no. All of that has already been built into the game prior the creation of missions and events, so scrapping it would do nothing for the game. They could remove those graphics and VO work, but if the character may be used for DLC at a later date why make the download bigger?

DLC is made from these concepts that the directors and producers have opt'ed to cut for various reasons. If you feel that this entitles you to have free access to every DLC put out because it's not a "new" concept 100% independently (read: from the ground up) developed after the main game is completed well that's your thing.

As to DLC being released on Day 1 there is a logical reasoning behind this (and I would recommend this link for your viewing pleasure). A games "shelf life" is very short in the current market, unlike a decade ago (or longer) where a combo of limited means of getting a game and a limited number of releases per year meant people were playing games for a longer period of time. In the current market with services like Gamefly and Redbox, access to demo's of new games to play before release, and publishers like EA and Activision pumping out several AAA titles per year, single player games are meant to be turned over within 2 months of release to ensure "gamers" pick up the next big title (I know this from my time at gamestop). Given that time frame, the best time for DLC sales would be within that window, when the maximum amount of people have the game to purchase such DLC. Selling DLC 6 months to 1 year down the road won't have the same financial gain for the company, as most people would have sold the game, or given up on it entirely for something new.

Now, to the meat of the issue, the "From Ashes" DLC for ME3. Game Informer got the following information from EA concerning the DLC (Link):

Quote:
"From Ashes is a 600 MB+ download with all new content, including the mission on Eden Prime, new dialogue options and conversations with Javik, new cinematics, the Prothean weapon, and new appearances for all squad members. All of the above content was completed while the main game was in certification and are not available on the disc.

"As stated previously, in order to seamlessly integrate Javik into the core campaign, certain framework elements and character models needed to be put on disc. We did something similar with Zaeed and Kasumi in Mass Effect 2."
I personally feel that this is a more then sufficient explanation as to why there is animation and VO work for the DLC character on disc for ME3. If people don't like the explanation, that's their business.
Reply With Quote

Reply With Quote TheSpore is offline
  #20 Old 03-12-12, 05:28 AM DLC is becoming trully a rip-off
TheSpore
Senior Member
TheSpore's Avatar
TheSpore's Flag is: USA
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,479
Reputation: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
So we got 2 people, who don't work in the gaming industry in any capacity, let alone as a programmer or producer or director, or even work for EA/Bioware (the main "villain" in this instance) making claims one way or the other as to if something was pulled from a finished title to make DLC.

To be fair, I do not work in the industry in any capacity. I do have some insight into game design though so I'm going to share some info I feel may be helpful.

Now to give people something to think about, DLC is NOT created in a vacuum. Most idea's for DLC comes off the cutting room floor of the main game. This means that many of the DLC ideas could have been (and most likely were) ideas that were meant to be put into the release build of the game, but for whatever reason did not make it.

This also means that the designs/animations/VO could have been (and usually is) done BEFORE the decision was made that the content wouldn't be put into the game. They may not (and most likely don't) have any actual content done (like missions) at this phase but rather cut the concept itself from the main game, as it doesn't mesh with their plans for the game.

Should they delete any animations, VO work, or designs that don't make it into their games after they are completed, just because they've elected not to use them as part of the main game? Hell no. All of that has already been built into the game prior the creation of missions and events, so scrapping it would do nothing for the game. They could remove those graphics and VO work, but if the character may be used for DLC at a later date why make the download bigger?

DLC is made from these concepts that the directors and producers have opt'ed to cut for various reasons. If you feel that this entitles you to have free access to every DLC put out because it's not a "new" concept 100% independently (read: from the ground up) developed after the main game is completed well that's your thing.

As to DLC being released on Day 1 there is a logical reasoning behind this (and I would recommend this link for your viewing pleasure). A games "shelf life" is very short in the current market, unlike a decade ago (or longer) where a combo of limited means of getting a game and a limited number of releases per year meant people were playing games for a longer period of time. In the current market with services like Gamefly and Redbox, access to demo's of new games to play before release, and publishers like EA and Activision pumping out several AAA titles per year, single player games are meant to be turned over within 2 months of release to ensure "gamers" pick up the next big title (I know this from my time at gamestop). Given that time frame, the best time for DLC sales would be within that window, when the maximum amount of people have the game to purchase such DLC. Selling DLC 6 months to 1 year down the road won't have the same financial gain for the company, as most people would have sold the game, or given up on it entirely for something new.

Now, to the meat of the issue, the "From Ashes" DLC for ME3. Game Informer got the following information from EA concerning the DLC (Link):



I personally feel that this is a more then sufficient explanation as to why there is animation and VO work for the DLC character on disc for ME3. If people don't like the explanation, that's their business.
I appreciate you providing a more official and valid source for the arguement, I was not trying prove anyone wrong, my point was to state if you want push an opinion as fact you must back that claim and prove it, you have proved the above hypothesis wrong and I can validly accept that due to your sources coming straight from the horses mouth. Thank you for your insights as well, it was most informative...

Now you may be right about ceratain files being included on the disc, yes, view a few sources on Capcom's lil shenanigan, they openly admitted to including all of the extra content to be released on their game disc, we are not talking about a few files to help fill gaps we are talking full amounts of content. That is my main focus here is when a company does things of that nature. I have no problem with DLC, its a good thing, but I am beginning to see it being abused and feel that something needs to be in place now to regulate it. Not sure how that could ever possibly be done, but something needs to be done.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:29 PM.

Powered by the Emperor of Man.




vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.