The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads

Roleplay Threads Strictly in character roleplay threads.

The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)

Roleplay Threads

#1 Old 02-16-12, 09:06 PM The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)
Jerek Carstien
Icon The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)

Even the stations leaders lived in what was a slum, no running water, no air circulation, and a filthy surrounding. Even this was considered luxury in the rat infested, blood stained, metro system directly beneath Moscow city in Russia. But even in these horrible conditions, the human spirit lived on, guards were set up at every hundred metres, generators that belonged in scrapyards powered failing light bulbs, and guns were pointed outwards towards the darkness of the metro tunnels. Somehow, someone organized these survivors into this system, somehow these survivors survived despite the attempts of hundreds of hungry mutant creatures.

The worst part of the situation, this was all caused by man. This entire situation, the thousands of hungry survivors, the mutants that ran through tunnels hunting anything without light, all caused by mankind. All because one country couldn't get along with another and launched missiles, then nukes, and then something even worse...

Hopefully that little story interested and entertained you as much as it did me. Now I'll explain it all in further detail. This is a role playing thread (somewhat) loosely based on the book and game, Metro 2033. Don't worry though, the story will be completely different from both the book and game, it's simply the universe that stays consistent. So if you're interested, read on...

Universe

After a brutal war, over what is not known, the human race has disappeared from the surface, and now only exists in nuclear vaults, or in this case, a metro designed to withstand nuclear explosions. But something else was released upon the surface (this is where the universe of Metro 2033, and the one I'm creating branch off), and rumors are spreading that it's causing more and more mutants to leave the surface, to take shelter in the underground metro.

The Metro

So now that all of the surface is a wasteland, a culture in the metro has started to emerge, and separate stations begin to unite into a collective, but when three groups, all with there own stations under there control meet, a massive and wasteful war erupts, and costs the metro precious lives.

The Stations
Structures created of scrap metal salvaged from tram cars. Tables and chairs made from benches, doors are a waste of resources, so don't exist at all, except to the richest of the metro. Pigs live among the civilized, caged into cells that leave it no room to even turn around. Chickens are often put into holes dug into dirt and covered with a plank of wood to keep them in. In all, the metro stations are worse then horrible places to live, but they are still hundreds of times better then even trying to survive in the seemingly endless darkness that is the metro tunnels.

Characters
I'll leave the back story of your character up to you, but here's some stuff that needs to stay similar for all characters, no exceptions.
1. All characters need to be raised from a station called Free Station West (no it doesn't really exist, none of the stations names will, and the map of the stations won't match either, this is entirely made up [by me]). (Side note, I mean raised, not born, so if your character can be taken to Free Station West whilst still a baby, he/she just has to be familiar with the station from a young age.)
2. Your character needs to have some reason they want to leave the station, I'll leave this up to you again, try to be creative with it.

Character Creation

In addition to...

Name:
Story: (How the character was raised, who his/her parents are...)
Equipment: (I will send you a PM with this filled out, just edit your character post with what I send you.)

...you will need to select perks.

Select no more then four of the following perks (you can have less, but no more then four). I won't explain how this works, just know that it does work and it makes it funner if you don't know.

Perks will help you define your characters skills and past experience.

Pistol Training (Hit with a pistol)
Rifle Training (Hit with a rifle)
Melee Training (Hit, and do damage with melee weapons)
Throwing (Hit, and do damage with throwing weapons)
Repair Weapons (Repair damaged weapons of all types)
Repair Electronics (Repair damaged electronics, eg. Flashlight)
Repair Mechanics (Repair mechanical items, eg. Rail car)
Cooking (Cook an edible meal)
Survival (Survive in the metro, eg. sleep in a rat infested bed easily)
Scavenge (Take otherwise useless things, and make them useful, eg. Belt and Satchel combined to make an ammo belt)
Scavenge Electronics (Take otherwise useless electronics and make them useful, eg. Light Bulb and Battery to make a Flashlight)
Scavenge Mechanics (Take otherwise useless mechanical objects and make them useful, eg. Rail car lights into a Flashlight)
Hiding (Hide in otherwise visible places)
Speech (Convince or intimidate others)
Barter (Lower prices on bought items, higher prices to sell)
Pickpocket (Successfully steal from others)
Trained Senses (Detect what others don't)
Operate Machinery (Operate what others can't, eg. Rail car)

Make sure you pick perks that go along with your characters past. Eg. A character who's parents are guards would make sense to take Rifle Training, Trained Senses, Repair Electronics and Survival. But wouldn't pick Pickpocket, Barter, or Hiding.

Suggested layout for character creation:

Name:
Story:
Perks:
Equipment: (I will PM you with what you have to start with, depending on story and perks.)

Characters Equipment
Depending on the perks you take, and the history you write, I will give your character the equipment that fits him/her. This requires you to trust that I will make all characters balanced and fair. So if you want your character to wear a specific jacket or have a specific gun, make sure to include it in there story or at the bottom of your post, and I'll do my best to include it.

Additional Information About the Universe of this RP
The currency used by all residents of the Metro is bullets. That's right, you shoot your money, so conserve ammo whenever possible. Also note that you can buy degraded ammo at the cost of standard ammo, this degraded ammo is cheaper to buy, but won't do as much damage (again, keep in mind I have a system set up, and I won't explain it all, but it is still there.).

Most of the combat part of the RP will take place between metro stations (most, not all), but you will spend about half your time in the metro stations, so I recommend taking only one or two combat skills, and the rest be utility skills.

Last but not least, the combat in this RP will not be:
"Lifting the rifle towards my shoulder, I fire three shots, evenly spaced between shots, and connect with two. The mutant takes one shot in the leg, the other in the head, it collapses with the other vile creatures."

Instead it will be:
"Lifting the rile towards my shoulder, I fire three shots, evenly spaced between shots at the nearest mutant..."
Then I will respond with the results (remember my system)
"Two of the shots connect with the target, the other spreads wides and sounds off the metal wall. One of the shots takes the creature in the leg, other in the head. It collapses with the other vile creatures."

So instead of you deciding the results of the shot, I will. It should make the combat much more interactive. The speech and barter system will work similarly like this, where you decide what you want to say, and I decide the results.

Okay, promise this is the last thing before the end. Anyone can attempt any of the perk checks, so you don't need to have Pistol Training to fire a pistol, you'll just miss more often if you don't. And you WILL be able to gain perks in game, so you're not stuck with what you start with.

Anyhow, I hope you consider this RP, and enjoy the game if you decide to join.

Current members: (Preferred number of members is four or five)
Android - Dravel Ignace
MaxDemone - Max Demone
fishstickz-1 - Nikolai Volsky
yoyoyo12365 - Jack Cross
Anilar - Androv Olak

Thank you for reading.
-Jerek Carstien

Join me in life, or slave for me in death. -Vlad von Carstien

Last edited by Jerek Carstien; 03-21-12 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added suggested layout for character creation.
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 02-16-12, 09:36 PM The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)
Android089
Android089's Flag is: Canada

Here's my character.

Name: Draval Ignace
Looks: Short greasy red/brown hair, frail, and pale, average height, clean shaven, green eyes
Story: Growing up in Free Station West, Draval tried keeping everything as clean as it could be. His room was always the cleanest in the station. He had everything organized on the shelf so that it looked nice. A small desk in the corner of his room was the only part that ever got dirty. It had spare bits from all over the station: burnt out light bulbs, long dead batteries. This is the spot Draval could escape the true horrors of this childhood. Every night when the strange sounds of the station kept him awake, Draval would sit and create or repair broken equipment. And when he repaired everything he had on his desk, Draval would sneak out of the station in hunt of broken down equipment. He never went far from the barricade, always making sure he could see the light of the lamp. Only after he found something to keep him interested would be sneak back to his house. Going through a small hole in the chain link fence in the barricade. He would keep to the shadows so his parents would never hear of a boy walking through the streets. They always wondered where he got his electronics from. One day though, a mutant had followed him through the hole in the barricade. Once it was inside it managed to kill a guard, before it was shot itself. On that day, Draval swore he would never sneak around again, fearing that he would once again get someone killed. Now 10 years later he still stays up some nights, creating more contraptions he one day hopes to put to use. He wants to leave the metro in search of a machine that will provide his station with energy and sustainability.
Perks:Repair Electronics, Repair Mechanics, Scavenge Electronics, Scavenge Mechanics
Equipment: A homemade pneumatic pistol that fires nails single shot, eighteen rusty nails.
A large greatcoat, fur lined boots, a pair of fur gloves.
Two cans of beans.
Two burnt out light bulbs, one good light bulb, extra wiring (enough for one creation), a base of a lantern, a broken lighter, all held inside a medium sized lunch box.

Edit: You really should read the book, if you want to truly understand the background to this RP.

Last edited by Android089; 02-19-12 at 01:06 AM.

#3 Old 02-16-12, 09:36 PM The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)
MaxDemone
MaxDemone's Flag is: USA

Name: Max Demone
Looks:Dark brown almost black hair with some natural, lighter streaks. Wearing some obscure black band graphic t-shirt, tight dark blue pants, combat boots with a grey hoody under a leather jacket
Story: Raised outside the Metro, his father an ex-soldier turned scavenger and his mother a stay at home mom who also became a scavenger. The family survived by staying in destroyed homes and buildings. When he was 7 his family was killed by mutants while they searched a supermarket for food. Max ran for 3 days before he found an entrance to the Metro. He was raised by mostly himself and some people living down there, so he developed charisma and a silver tongue to persuade people. He wants to leave to find where his family died.
Perks: Rifle Training, Survival, Scavenge, Speech.
Equipment:
A small sub machine gun with magazine pouches strapped onto the sides, two empty 15 round magazines, thirty-six degraded smg bullets, four standard rifle bullets.

Black graphic t-shirt, tight dark blue pants, combat boots, grey hoody, leather jacket.

One can of Beans, two cans of beef stew.

A leather belt, a roll of tape mostly used up (enough for one creation), a small note pad mostly used up, anti-bug spray, a small blanket, all inside a medium sized satchel.

Last edited by MaxDemone; 02-16-12 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Someone posted when I did and equipment.

#4 Old 02-16-12, 09:42 PM The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)
Jerek Carstien

Looks good Android. Only one thing wrong with it, I should have said this in the original post, and I will edit it in. The Greatcoat should be in equipment, so if you want it you should put it into the story somewhere. I'll let you keep it, but just move it down to the Equipment area. Also, to anyone else who reads this, if there is something in particular you want for your character, make sure you put it somewhere else in your post. As all equipment is to be decided by me, so if you want your character to wear something in particular, it's no problem for me to include it, just as long as it's me including it.

#5 Old 02-16-12, 09:43 PM The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)
Jerek Carstien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDemone View Post
I'm liking this!
Do we PM you our character?
Nope, just do like Android did. I'll PM you the equipment for your character.

#6 Old 02-16-12, 09:52 PM The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)
MaxDemone
MaxDemone's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerek Carstien View Post
Nope, just do like Android did. I'll PM you the equipment for your character.
I edited mine

#7 Old 02-16-12, 10:03 PM The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)
Jerek Carstien

I've sent you the PM Max Demone, sorry about the delay in responding.

My bad, should have also said the magazines hold fifteen bullets each.

Last edited by Jerek Carstien; 02-16-12 at 10:07 PM.

#8 Old 02-17-12, 03:33 AM The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)
fishstickz-1

looks enjoyable, i will give it a go

Name: Nikolai Volsky
Looks: A short slim male, brown hair, green eyes, fair freckled skin, burn scars on his arms, knife scar across his throat
Story: Brought into the Free Station West at the age of seven by travellers who discovered him wandering the tunnels after his family hid him before being mauled by a swarm of mutant, Nikolai spent his life couriering for the criminal underground of the station. By the time he was eighteen Nikolai was an avid gambler who was deeply entrenched in the underworld of the station, who ran fixed gambling games and was a luitenient to one of the crime bosses. However he attempted to remove himself from the crime world after he was nearly killed by a rival gang who attempted to burn him alive, and slash his throat, he only just managed to escape due to the arrival of the guards of the station who interrupted the situation seconds before his death. In recent months Nikolai has gained a huge debt due to his gambling habits and is forced to leave Free Station West or face death at the hands of the gangs he owes.
Perks: Pistol training, hiding, pickpocket, trained senses
Equipment: Semi-Automatic Pistol, two eight round magazines, twenty five degraded pistol bullets.

Dirty black coveralls, thin black jacket, sneakers, thin gloves, and a ski mask.

One small bag of dried Mushrooms.

Reading glasses (even though he don't need them), fourteen gambling chips, and one small vile filled with weak poison, all stored in a modified ammo belt designed to carry stolen goods.

I hope this is suitable, if not the just PM me and i will modify it to the standards required

Fishstickz-1

Last edited by fishstickz-1; 02-18-12 at 11:10 PM.

#9 Old 02-17-12, 04:42 AM The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)
Jerek Carstien

Fishstickz-1, I sent you a PM with your equipment.

Thank you for joining.

Last edited by Jerek Carstien; 02-17-12 at 04:54 AM.

#10 Old 02-17-12, 11:11 PM The Endless Darkness (Loosly based on Metro 2033)
yoyoyo12365
yoyoyo12365's Flag is: USA

Name:

Jack Cross

Looks:

Long brown hair, blue eyes, often burnt fingertips, and a thin build. Just shy of 6'1", and about as pale as somebody who has rarely seen the light of day should be.

Story:

Jack was born on the surface, but his parents both went underground only a few weeks after he was born, recognizing the dangers of having a child up top. His mother was a police officer, and his father an electrical engineer. As he grew, Jack became very fond of his father's work, even though he had been reduced to reusing circuit-boards and old wires.
Jack quickly learned how to do what his father did, and even surpassed him at spotting dead electronics. This development lead to his mother training him to survive, teaching him to shoot, because his father then insisted that Jack come along on the scavenging trips.
On Jack's 13th birthday, his father took him out on a special scavenging trip, having heard about some very interesting items just a bit further out than the station guarded. Unfortunately, they never made it. They were attacked by a raid from another station, and Jack's father was killed, leaving behind a silver charm on a thin chain as his only remembrance. Later that same month, his mother fell ill. She survived for 2 more years, but passed shortly before Jack turned 15.
Now, the boy does what his father did, and works to keep himself alive, waiting for the day when he will be able to hunt down the men who murdered his father.

Perks:

Pistol Training (Hit with a pistol)
Repair Electronics (Repair damaged electronics, eg. Flashlight)
Scavenge Electronics (Take otherwise useless electronics and make them useful, eg. Light Bulb and Battery to make a Flashlight)
Trained Senses (Detect what others don't)

Equipment:

Small revolver (holds six shots), twenty one degraded pistol bullets

Large grey jacket, black t-shirt, brown pants, hiking boots

Four large mushrooms, one raw egg

Silver charm on a thin chain, a functional light bulb, extra wiring (enough for one creation), flashlight base, a large uncharged battery, a magnifying glass, three sheets of paper, a small pencil, all inside of a single pouched backpack.

Last edited by yoyoyo12365; 02-18-12 at 08:40 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Roleplay Threads