God I hate Steam 'customer support'

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

God I hate Steam 'customer support'

Video Games & Software

#1 Old 01-06-12, 12:01 AM God I hate Steam 'customer support'
Angel of Blood
The Emperor Protects
Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Default God I hate Steam 'customer support'

It really is utterly wank and about as much use as Anne Franks drumkit!

So I got a new MacBook the other day, liked them for a while but for some reason resisted the temptation until now. But I digress. Got home and thought "You know what game I've not played in a while? The Sims! Yeah lets get it!"(yes I like The Sims, I know, believe me I know, you don't have to say anything!). So went on Steam to see if there were any deals on it cheaper than play.com and the like, and voila! The Sims 3 and a few expansion pack are on sale, for loooooooads cheaper than elsewhere. Few clicks later and it's bought and downloading!

So as I wait I think about which other games on my Steam account to install on my new Mac, then I spotted something - Not compatible with this system. Ah fuck, must be a non-mac game thing. OHHH FUUUUCK! I realise, and yep you guessed it, The Sims isn't one of the fucking compatible ones either. Cancel download!

So onto Steam support I go. Now officially Steam has no refund policy, but I've read about and even know someone whose managed to get refunds when they haven't downloaded or even activated the game. But such is the shitty fucking customer support section of Steam that you can't select an option for refund/billing etc, but it forces you to choose one of it's many inadequate categories. So eventually I went with 'installation' issues. Sent a ticket off detailing my problems, asking if theres any chance of a refund.

This was 8 days ago. Finally got a reply today! And that reply was essentially a copy and paste troubleshooting guide for installing The Sims on Windows. They clearly didn't even bother to read the ticket and just sent along a nice installation guide instead.

Still waiting for a reply on my further(now roughly 20...just to be sure) tickets. Not the first time I've had an issue with Steam 'support' and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Anyone else had issue with this fucking shit system?
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 01-06-12, 12:20 AM God I hate Steam 'customer support'
RedThirstWill Destroy
RedThirstWill Destroy's Flag is: England

Sorry to hear this mate, I've had no problems with Steam at all, they've always sorted me out (when i forget my pasword), the only problems i have with them are downloading speeds, which i sorted in the options myslef

#3 Old 01-06-12, 01:27 AM God I hate Steam 'customer support'
Samules
Samules's Flag is: USA

I manage to solve my own problems with steam far faster than they do. I don't play much on steam and always buy my games in cold hard disc form and only used steam because a few of them needed it so my experiences with them are limited.

#4 Old 01-06-12, 02:13 AM God I hate Steam 'customer support'
Anfo
Anfo's Flag is: USA

Exact same happened to me. When I got Payday:The Heist. The game wouldn't run past the intro. Took them only 7 days to get back and they just linked me to a bunch of the steps I already tried.

At the end of my reply it said something like, "Since this is a 3rd party game, you may need to submit a ticket to them."

#5 Old 01-06-12, 05:22 AM God I hate Steam 'customer support'
Doelago
I am Alpharius.
Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Customer Support nowahdays is a flat piece of shit mostly if we are to be honest...
[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

#6 Old 01-06-12, 08:00 AM God I hate Steam 'customer support'
Aramoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
So I got a new MacBook the other day
There's your problem.

I've never had a problem with Steam since I first installed it, I think it's great. I wouldn't know what their support is like though as I have never had to use them.

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog

#7 Old 01-06-12, 10:08 PM God I hate Steam 'customer support'
CursedUNTILLDEATH
CursedUNTILLDEATH's Flag is: USA

It runs slow, it downloads slow, it crashes my computer (computers actually) and my first account disappeared a after period of inactivity... never got it back, or the games on it, and customer support did nothing to help me either.

#8 Old 01-06-12, 11:19 PM God I hate Steam 'customer support'
WoRLoKKeD
WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well, Angel. First off, there's nobody to blame there but yourself. Gotta check for compatibility before buying things if you're going to willingly marginalize yourself by your OS choice.

Quote:
So onto Steam support I go. Now officially Steam has no refund policy, but I've read about and even know someone whose managed to get refunds when they haven't downloaded or even activated the game. But such is the shitty fucking customer support section of Steam that you can't select an option for refund/billing etc, but it forces you to choose one of it's many inadequate categories. So eventually I went with 'installation' issues. Sent a ticket off detailing my problems, asking if theres any chance of a refund.
As they have no official refund policy and it's entirely up to the discretion of the responder, it'd be utterly pointless having a refund category.

Quote:
Still waiting for a reply on my further(now roughly 20...just to be sure) tickets. Not the first time I've had an issue with Steam 'support' and I'm sure it won't be the last.
You are everything that's wrong with customer support systems. You complain about response times and lack of effort put in on their part, yet go and do something like this that will make response times for others in your position (or maybe even people with an actual, real, valid issue that's not entirely their own fault) worse.

Secondly, I really don't know what to say, but you're apparently a bunch of horribly unlucky people. Of the few issues I've had with Steam that weren't from the beta, they've all been resolved quickly and professionally, with no complaints from me whatsoever with how they've been handled.

#9 Old 01-06-12, 11:54 PM God I hate Steam 'customer support'
Angel of Blood
The Emperor Protects
Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Sure I'm to blame for not checking the compatibility(though I can't figure out for the life of me why their version isn't compatible when the game is Mac compatible. My biggest gripe though is how slow the system is, well least it has been for me, every single time I've used it, especially compared to every other support system I've used. And the fact that they blatantly didn't even read the ticket, they just sent a copied and pasted troubleshooting guide.

And yeah I don't blame them for not having a specific refund policy category, but would it really hurt to have an 'Other' category for anything not covered in their fixed ones. Because so far of the tickets I've sent out, none of them really correspond to the actual problem and the ones that have been replied to are all copy+paste.

As for 'willingly marginalising' myself. I'm well aware of Macs incompatibilities, that's why I still have a gaming PC, the Mac is for other jobs, but thought it might be nice to have at least one game on it for when I've only got the Mac to hand. Sims 3 was the choice because I know its a Mac compatible game, again, still baffles me as to why the Steam version isn't.

Quote:
You are everything that's wrong with customer support systems. You complain about response times and lack of effort put in on their part, yet go and do something like this that will make response times for others in your position (or maybe even people with an actual, real, valid issue that's not entirely their own fault) worse.
Hmmm true, an overzealous reaction, not something I would normally do. But I would feel more guilty if every response so far wasn't clearly a copy+paste with the ticket not having even been read.

Last edited by Angel of Blood; 01-06-12 at 11:59 PM.

#10 Old 01-07-12, 12:24 AM God I hate Steam 'customer support'
RedThirstWill Destroy
RedThirstWill Destroy's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Secondly, I really don't know what to say, but you're apparently a bunch of horribly unlucky people. Of the few issues I've had with Steam that weren't from the beta, they've all been resolved quickly and professionally, with no complaints from me whatsoever with how they've been handled.
I don't know where you get this from, i said I've had no real problems and when i have they have helped me out, the only 'Real' issue for me has been the speeds but again like i said i sorted this out in the options myself it is apparently quite a common problem too from when i have spoken to various freinds who are on Steam, the system dosn't always auto set your connection correctly and when i checked mine was set to 56k dial up, hence i reset it too DSL, now it runs mutha f*&king fast

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software