1000pts of Lizards for May doubles

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > Warhammer Armylists > Lizardmen Army Lists

1000pts of Lizards for May doubles

Lizardmen Army Lists

#1 Old 11-27-11, 08:47 AM 1000pts of Lizards for May doubles
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator
Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 1000pts of Lizards for May doubles

I've just been to the WFB doubles up at WHW and it was great fun... and now I've started planning for May. Having just taken a very bashy combat ogre army I'm changing back to my normal style of mist & shadows: I've had a lot of practice with my WE but thought I would change it up and take lizards of a WE feel instead.

So the list, so far...

125- Skink Priest- Lv2, diadem of power
114- Skink Chief- terradon, light armour, blowpipe, spear, charmed shield, venom of the firefly frog

70- 10 skink skirmishers
70- 10 skink skirmishers
70- 10 skink skirmishers
70- 10 skink skirmishers

210- 7 Terradons (with chief)
120- 4 Terradons

75- Salamander
75- Salamander

My plan is essentially just a flying circus: moving 12"+ a turn with my whole army and still being able to fire everything is pretty sweet, especially if I have a partner who brings a combat force (might be I'm playing with a saurus heavy 1k list). So I'm hoping to get amongst the enemy and disrupt the hell out of them...

I'm especially liking the skink chief: hits on the same value as his terradon buddies (+2BS vs move and shoot and multiple shots penalties) but gets to reroll to hit thanks to the firefly venom... and then he charges into combat with 3 S5 I6 poison attacks: if someone gives me a possible rear/flank charge after I've dropped my rocks I might just take them up on it

So, has anyone got any comments/suggestions on my list? Have any of you run similar lists before and how did you get on?
I know I'm lacking banners (hoping my partner might bring 2-3 but blood & glory is going to be difficult) but can't see a good way roung this: I wanted a sun standard BSB but couldn't afford it, and I don't think ranked skinks would be anything other then dead lizards walking. Ideas?

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 11-27-11 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 11-28-11, 02:50 AM 1000pts of Lizards for May doubles
Karnox
Karnox's Flag is: Russia

hmm, not too much of a problem I can see, maybe post a list of you're partners list aswell? I always liked an all skink army myself thought it'd be fun to play.

One thing I would say is maybe put the chief in with the 4 terradons, or even have 5+ chief and 6, but thats just me loving symetry and order (and yet I play chaos...)

When life gives you lemons..... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

#3 Old 11-28-11, 08:11 PM 1000pts of Lizards for May doubles
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator

The chief is in the unit of 5+ to get look out sir for longer (no cannonballs to the face to worry about), but then again the charmed shield means that isn't too much of an issue against most armies (was wondering charmed or enchanted till I saw the points for a lizardmen enchanted: 3* standard)... against other armies he might jump about between the units a bit more, but it doesn't make a huge difference (but if he is in the smaller unit I would be more likely to throw them into flank/rear charges).

The army has been officially dedicated to Sotek now in response to the numbers of skaven armies my friends are running (4 of the other 6-7 people going for sure are taking them). I'm not taking Tehenhuin, though he is quite tempting (though I can't see why he is worth his points: Ld8 and a lv2 with beasts is nice but then he has useless unbreakable... which would have utterly screwed him when the book was written, but now its just ignorable as it'll never be relevant). So Sotek is going to have to be appeased with red-crests alone.... although the first 4 test skinks have been painted and they do look fairly cool, even if I have no idea what I'm doing for their bases.

WIth 6 months before ht enext doubles tourny I've got plenty of time... and haven't sorted out a partner yet: I've had someone suggested but haven't ran into them yet... I'm not exactly pushed for time though. I really don't mind who I end up with: so long as their army is either tricksy or nails (they are going to be outnumbered in combat since mine won't stand so either need to escape with me or hold long enough to win through). With a diadem of power our army will actually function quite well if we are desperate allies... so I could partner literally anyone from my gaming group so long as their army fits with mine (randomly I think playing alongside VC might be quite fun).

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 11-28-11 at 08:21 PM.

#4 Old 11-29-11, 12:26 PM 1000pts of Lizards for May doubles
Arli

I was thinking (I know, dangerous, right) that terradons are monstrous cavalry and get the look out sir on a 3+ up. I could be thinking of the rule that applies to Ogres though. Just thought I would mention it.

#5 Old 11-29-11, 08:45 PM 1000pts of Lizards for May doubles
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator

Ogres get a Look Out Sir for having 3+ rank & file models if they take the look out gnoblar.... but it isn't a standard monstrous rule. Ranks of 3 wide is a standard rule, but since all flying cav are skirmishers anyway it matters not a bit

#6 Old 12-10-11, 08:22 AM 1000pts of Lizards for May doubles
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator

Well the tourny is now up to 1200pts per player, so I need to rejig the list, and I'm struggling to think of what to add.

I've been thinking of lots of options, although I have to add at least 20pts of core.

Option 1- Tehenhuin: nice and fluffy but possibly not so effective.

Option 2- Slaan: powerful, but not at all fluffy and I don't really have anywhere to bunker him (and with only 25pts of options possible I can't really afford the ethereal upgrade).

Option 3- 2 Razordons... would look cool but I'm not sure that they're that effective in the current rules. Since they can't march and fire they would also slow me down a lot.

Option 4- Up the salamanders to units of 2

Option 5- Kroxiskinks. I think a 400pt unit with 4 krox would be cool. Sure the skinks are quishy but with the equivalent of 48 models in the unit I would be steadfast most of the time, giving plenty of chance for my krox to smash enemies to itty bitty pieces. But it does mean dropping 200pts from the current list to fit (probably 2*10 skink skirmishers and 2 terradon).

Option 6- Chameleon skinks, possibly with Oxyotl instead of the skink chief. Don't know if it adds much though.

Need some input- I have had a few ideas but I really don't know quite what to do. I'm not even sure if I want to stay fluffy as a sotek skink patrol or not. Adding the razordons is probably the easiest thing to do, but when playing against them I've never thought much of them. Chammies could be cool, but do I really need more skink skirmishers types..?

#7 Old 12-11-11, 05:37 PM 1000pts of Lizards for May doubles
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator

145- Skink Priest- Lv2, diadem of power, curse charm of Tepok
121- Skink Chief- terradon, light armour, blowpipe, spear, shield, venom of the firefly frog, dragonhelm

76- 10 skink skirmishers- brave

180- 6 Terradons (with chief)
90- 3 Terradons
90- 3 Terradons

75- Salamander
75- Salamander

60- 5 Chameleon Skinks
60- 5 Chameleon Skinks

=1200

So this is the new list I'm thinking of. I'm keeping the feel of the army while making it a little nastier: upgrading from 1k by making the skink chief a little nastier in combat (3+ save and 2++ to fire might allow him to solo charge a unit and stay around for a bit), the curse charm is always fun for upsetting opponents that make a 'lucky' roll on the miscast table and the addition of camo skinks means I'll be amongst the enemy from the start, giving more support to the terradons.

I'm not really happy with the core: I'm no fan of ranged champions, but its either that, add 3 random skinks (and how likes odd numbered units) or add a 5th unit, which would make my deployment quite crowded.
I think the 3 units of terradons and camo skinks should help me get rid of warmachines that could hurt me quite early (such as organ guns), while the camo skinks can try to lure the enemy shooting units into making poor moves to expose their flanks to the terradons.

Anyway, should still be a fun list.

#8 Old 01-04-12, 09:38 PM 1000pts of Lizards for May doubles
maximus2467
maximus2467's Flag is: United Kingdom

hi, how do you know the points limit has increased? the reason i ask is that i will be attending if its the same tourny? ww? 12th may? and havent noticed any thing on the gw website about a point increase. also if you dont mind could you explain to me a few things? been a 40k player for years but this is my first fantasy tourny, can we only take heroes or can we take a lord too? can you ally with any race? whats the min core troop you need?? etc.. any other points you can suggest, would really appreciate it

#9 Old 01-07-12, 10:30 PM 1000pts of Lizards for May doubles
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator

Um, its back to 1000pts a side... I don't know why it changed but the singles went up to 2400pts (to allow 'good' lords to be taken) but I think its dropped back again. Doubles is the same total so that's why the points changed. Frankly I was dreading 1200pts a side... suddenly you allow armies with evil things like double steam tank, ugh.

Thought the tourny was 1st may, but could be 12th... 5 months away so I'm not too concerned over the exact date. You can take heros and lords as long as the total of heroes and the total of lords are no more then 250pts (25% the army). ANy race can ally with anyone else, but there are downsides to being distrustful allies (like splitting the magic dice), though you don't get panicked from distrustful alies losing combat or getting destroyed... so its a question of balance.

#10 Old 02-05-12, 11:01 AM 1000pts of Lizards for May doubles
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator

Latest variation:

135- Skink Priest- Plaque of Tepok, Curse Charm of Tepok

70- 10 skink skirmishers
70- 10 skink skirmishers
70- 10 skink skirmishers
70- 10 skink skirmishers

120- 4 Terradons
120- 4 Terradons
120- 4 Terradons

150- 2 Salamanders
75- Salamander
=1000

I've played 2 games so far and the skink chief just didn't pull hi weight (and with rules changes I'll no longer be forced to win challenges to finish secret missions) so he's gone, and with him the need to have a big unit of terradon, so I split them into 3. With the extra points I've added a 3rd salamander since they seem to be my main damage dealers (along with dropped rocks). I've also added a few points to my priest so could fit the curse charm on... but only at the cost of downgrading diadem to the plaque. I'll have less magic defense but the extra spell would probably be helpful.

I've been rather underwhelmed by the performance of the skinks so far and have been thinking about maybe having a kroxiskink unit in my army prior to 2k. I was thinking:
307- 24 skinks, 3 krox- full command
Would give me a hard hitting steadfast unit to go after monsters, heavy cav and the like (or to smash through enemy infantry with few attacks.
I'll keep thinking about it while I playtest... it also depends who I team up with: I've gone from no partner to a possible 3, with the guy I think I'll go with not decided on army but with empire and lizard players around as possibles too...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > Warhammer Armylists > Lizardmen Army Lists