Striking scorpions x10 (exarch, claw, monster hunter) 210

Heavy Support

Dark Reapers x5 150

War walkers x3 (scatter, eml) 240

Fire Prism (cannon) 135

Defence line (quad gun) 100

Total 2502

The idea here is to:
place the 2 farseers with the DA in the WS to hunt small creatures.
Spiritseer with the WG in the WS to go after medium creatures flamer templates because the will be assaulted.
Scorpions to infiltrate and MC hunt.
Walkers to outflank and light shit up
DR and the FP to hang back and focus on big creatures
Autarch to DS in terrain and hop out to assinate something
Rangers infiltrate and snipe on or near objective
Guardians to man the gun on defenceline on an objective and hopefully draw some Argo

I'm not going to see the new flyer or any new models, but there will be a flyrant, gargoyles, fexs, trogon for sure.

These are the only other models I have to swap for:
Guard swap to blades
Prism swap to Falcon (I have 4 chassis)
6 dragons
6 HB
Swap 10 SS for 2 squads of 6
1 viper
3 warlocks

Let me know what you think

See less See more
#2 ·
Imho i wouldnt infiltrate the scorpions because they will just be overwhelmed,. Use them as counter assault unit. Id drop the the exarch and wargear from the dire avengers, its not needed unless you want to cc the big creatures (not recommended). Id also swap the wings on the autarch for a bike, better toughness, faster and give you that lovely 2+ cover save. Also maybe hold one farseer back to give rerolls for the dr and war walkers.

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah I wasn't sure with the exarchs and gear, I just know he always catches me in combat and the inv sv might be nice. Getting rid of that saves me 70 points! I could add a warlock to the guardians then!

I can't swap the Autarch wings for the bike, as I don't have the model, which is why he will DS in terrain to get his 2+ cover.

What do you suggest for the SS: outflank, or start on the board, I can't figure out how to get these in a position to charge anymore in 6th.

#5 ·
Honestly get a autarch on bike he is a god. Other wise put him i with the scorpions or get rid of him along with the exarchs on the dire avengers and get yourself a squad of 10x warp spiders. I know you dont have any at the moment but honestly they're fun and competitive. Against tyranids they can deal with anything be them small, big or flying. The reason being an autarch is t3 with a +3 plus armour giving him the amntle and wings just makes him a tiny bit more survivable. But he will still be overcome by the liitle bugs and outclassed by the bigger ones. The scorpions are best used as a counter attack unit against tyranids or just stay were they are and let the tyranids come to you, as they usually do.

#6 ·
Farseer (spear, Anath'lan stone) 130

- I don't think you will really need this, just a spear by itself would be fine.

-Farseer (spear, Phoenix gem) 140
This is fine, however it should prob go on the autarch as he will be fighting in such a way for him to die faster.

Autarch (wings, mandiblasters, fusion gun, Shard, Mantle) 185

-Really should have a jetbike for T4

Spiritseer 70

-of course

Dire Avengers x10 (Exarch, pw/ss) 160
Wave Surpant (laser, cannon, holo) 145

-While they can be in CC< i would recomend removing the pw/ss and use those points elsewhere, otherwise give him something like a Power Maul.

Dire Avengers x10 (Exarch, pw/ss) 160

- Same as above

Wraithguard x5 (D-scythes) 210

-Of course these are fine, if you can fit in some Promethium lines they can get torrent.

Guardians x10 (cannon) 105

-Make it a scatter laser

Rangers x6 72

- Fine

-This is fine, however if you send them up alone there will be problems, take three teams if any so you have a sizable pressence wherever they infiltrate.

Dark Reapers x5 150

-You should take kraks as well

War walkers x3 (scatter, eml) 240

-Save yourself 30 points and take Bright Lances instead.

Fire Prism (cannon) 135

-Holo-Feild should be a priority over a second weapon

-Really its preference, but all the nids this will shoot will get an armor save, i would prefer to take a icarus cannon.

#7 · (Edited)
@Ragewind

HQ

Farseer (spear, Anath'lan stone) 130
Farseer (spear) 105
Spiritseer 70
Autarch (wings, mandiblasters, fusion gun, Shard, Mantle, phonix gem) 210

Troops

Dire Avengers x10 130

Dire Avengers x10 130

Wraithguard x5 (D-scythes) 210

Guardians x10 (laser) 110
Warlock (spear) 40

Rangers x6 72

Elites

Heavy Support

Dark Reapers x5 (starshot) 190

War walkers x3 (scatter, bl) 210

Fire Prism (holo) 140

Total 2492

I think this looks better, the guardians with shrouded behind that defence line will be a hard nut to crack, I think that I will infiltrate the SS close to these guys to protect them and let the nids come to me. My loaded-out autarch should be a good laugh to play with that load out.

#9 ·
So this game is going to take place tomorrow night, Im likening the list only thing I'm not convinced on is taking the bl over the eml on the war walkers though, the eml has the option to target both mc with the s8 krack and also swarms with the small blast where as the bl only has the option to target mc... What do you all think?

#10 ·
I think if you dont mind spending the 30 points then go for it. However each walker is putting out 5 shots, a total of 15 shots is going to do a lot of damage to the smaller nids, as opposed to maybe an extra 1-2 with the blast.

#12 ·
Well Sadly I got crushed again… 14VP to 6VP and he held all 3 objectives. (Big Guns Mission)

I have had a few venting rants on here already, but to give you some perspective since moving to my new very small town about 1.5 years ago there is only one player here. We have had about 15 games so far, in which I have won 2 and lost 13 and it’s been almost 8 months since I won a game. Of those games I went first in game one then lost the first turn roll 14 consultative games in a row seriously what are the odd… its getting frustrating sadly.

So a little breakdown..

His army as I remember:
6 hive Guard, 3 Zones, 1 daka-Fex, 30 H-gaunts, 30 daka-gaunts, swarmlord with 3 guards, 3 lictors, 6 ravangers, 3 biovores, 7 warriors, 1 mawloc, 3 spore mines,1 New big-gun-bug (large blast/6 plasma type shots)

I win the roll to go first…

6x4 board, I set up first with reapers and guardians manning the D-line/quad-gun on his left and my 4 tanks are center/his right. Autarch as far forward as possible and in a bldg. Scorpions infiltrate 18" away from a squad of 7 warriors on his right (hugging the corner table edge, but about 8 inches from cover). Rangers infiltrate in a bldg. on his right. Wherever my walkers come in there are lots of targets.

He sets up with all of his force in the middle surrounded by gaunts for cover

Now this was looking real good for me, I had my Autarch in range of a turn two assault with his swarmlord and cover the whole way there (I know that with shard I would have insta-killed him on a charge/challenge and with phoenix gem may survive the fight) . My scorpions were primed to be in cover on my movement phase turn one, and the guardians/reapers/D-line hugging the edge with no room behind and primed to take out the big-gun-bug. Tanks all out of his range, but in good positions for me to move and shoot with lost of LOS blocking/covering terrain. Perfect first turn set up for shooting!!!

He steals initiative :( its all down hill from here. …

Now without getting into more game info this is how it all went down basically:

· Losing first turn, I can't get my scorpions into cover, or shoot at the Mawloc.

· Mawloc burrows. He moves half the army to the right (Fex, Swarmlord, H-gaunt, biovores, bug-gun-bug) and half to the left (3 zones, 6 hive guard, 30 daka-gaunts, 6 ravagers, 3 lictors). Warriors put some distance between the scorpions and turn to face them.

· Turn one, he shoots the only target in range of his big-gun-bug and its my Autarch. He gets 3 wounds, I roll for my 2+ cover and get: 2, 1, 1, so I reroll my 1s and get: 1, 1, he is insta-killed. Thats 3 VPs one shot one turn… (Warlord, first blood, unit)

· The Biovores get constant direct hits on my guardians, and despite all my points for the warlock/D-line for a 2+ cover, they ignore cover and I’m forced to go to ground for saves and get pined until the H-Gaunts show up and kill them along with the reapers on turn 4.

· Turn one, 21 shots goes towards the scorpions, and 3 small warp blast and have I have to go to ground and loose 5 of them with them pined first turn.

· I brought all my tanks to his right because that were the less dangerous shooting was and 66% of his synapses. However, all tanks spend the whole game moving around the table edge on his right trying to stay out of assault range and unable to deploy any troops because there would be 96 s4 shots coming at me from the 30 Daka-gaunts.

· 96 Daka-gaunt shoots that ignore cover = 6 dead rangers turn two

· Wave serpent with the Wraithguard had to turbo boost 3 turns in a row before in a position to deploy troops in the perfect position to hit (3 zones, 2 hive guard, at least 6 guants) each!!! But then it gets shaken and templates can’t fire so I don’t get out…. then it takes another two turns to turbo boost to get into another position on the other side of the board to deploy troops to hit (2 biovores, swarmlord & guard) each!!! and gets shaken again.. and templates can't fire again game ends at 6 turns, never deployed the wraith guard/ spritseer.

· My 3 walkers cant take out 1 Fex which then destroys all 3 walkers 2 in turn 1, 1 in turn 2 (I do 2 wounds in16 shots @ S6 and 4 shots @ S8)

· Other 2 Wave serpents get caught in combat and gets destroyed along with all the dire avengers inside on turn 4

· Everything of mine dies except for 1 scorpion, (WS with the spiritseer and wriathguard), and the fire prism.

This is what went good for me!
· Dark reapers manning the quad-gun took out the big-gun-bug in two turns

· Mawloc DS mishaps off the table and gets destroyed trying to hit my guardians lol

· I got very good supporting Physic Powers and was able to take out all the synapsis on his right… killing in total (with the tanks, scorpions, and a few Dire Avengers over 4 turns): 3 Zones, 3 Hive guard, 2 lectors, 7 warriors, 7 gaunts.

· Snap shooting Guardian Platform managed to put 3 wounds on the Swarmlord squad in 2 turns.

· I didn’t get tabled, and if I wanted I could have contested 2 objectives, but I still would have lost so I decided to target the last synapse unit instead of turbo boosting in hops of kill all synapses for the hail marry win.

· Scorpions where champs, only 5 (including the Exarch) took out 5 warriors and 2 lictors and the Exarch survived the game!

· Felt like I made all good decision, with bad luck… Convinced if I had first turn I could have won. I know I would have won…

· Game was still back and forth until turn 4 despite me basically not using a 210 point HQ unit and another 410 point unit (WS, Spiritseer, WG) didn’t even shoot the tank without snap shots… that 620 useless points…

#13 ·
I had my Autarch in range of a turn two assault with his swarmlord and cover the whole way there (I know that with shard I would have insta-killed him on a charge/challenge and with phoenix gem may survive the fight)

-This was a tactical mistake, you want to avoid going after him in CC.

Losing first turn, I can't get my scorpions into cover, or shoot at the Mawloc.

- If possible infiltrate them into cover to begin, never forget you can throw a plasma blast grenade and pin something maybe.

· Turn one, he shoots the only target in range of his big-gun-bug and its my Autarch. He gets 3 wounds, I roll for my 2+ cover and get: 2, 1, 1, so I reroll my 1s and get: 1, 1, he is insta-killed. Thats 3 VPs one shot one turn… (Warlord, first blood, unit)

-Wow, that sucks. This is a good lesson to learn, not getting shot is always better than getting shot and making saves. Since the autarch has a jump pack try deploying out of LOS in the future.

· The Biovores get constant direct hits on my guardians, and despite all my points for the warlock/D-line for a 2+ cover, they ignore cover and I’m forced to go to ground for saves and get pined until the H-Gaunts show up and kill them along with the reapers on turn 4.

- I don't think they ignore cover, they are barrage so the cover factor comes from where they land. Deploy in Area terrain and they can't do anything to you.

· I brought all my tanks to his right because that were the less dangerous shooting was and 66% of his synapses. However, all tanks spend the whole game moving around the table edge on his right trying to stay out of assault range and unable to deploy any troops because there would be 96 s4 shots coming at me from the 30 Daka-gaunts.

-Void Sheilds

· 96 Daka-gaunt shoots that ignore cover = 6 dead rangers turn two

-Wow the new nids ignore cover on basic shots! damn, they deploying them in a building so they are immune to basic fire, or behind void sheilds.

· Wave serpent with the Wraithguard had to turbo boost 3 turns in a row before in a position to deploy troops in the perfect position to hit (3 zones, 2 hive guard, at least 6 guants) each!!! But then it gets shaken and templates can’t fire so I don’t get out…. then it takes another two turns to turbo boost to get into another position on the other side of the board to deploy troops to hit (2 biovores, swarmlord & guard) each!!! and gets shaken again.. and templates can't fire again game ends at 6 turns, never deployed the wraith guard/ spritseer.

-It sounds good to put them in a tank, but then they don't make use of that T6 and potential Shrouded. its 50/50

· My 3 walkers cant take out 1 Fex which then destroys all 3 walkers 2 in turn 1, 1 in turn 2 (I do 2 wounds in16 shots @ S6 and 4 shots @ S8)

-That sucks

· Other 2 Wave serpents get caught in combat and gets destroyed along with all the dire avengers inside on turn 4

· Everything of mine dies except for 1 scorpion, (WS with the spiritseer and wriathguard), and the fire prism.

-:(

#14 ·
@Ragewind First off, thanks for your feedback, not only for this game/list, but for the other times when you have given me input, as well as you tactics articles. I highly appreciate it and find it very useful.:victory:

• I know that I took a chance with the SS, but I did it because I had turn one and I knew that after my scout and my move/run I would have gotten them in cover about 10” from the warriors. Still this did do its job of distracting the entire unit of warriors and was my best unit in the game getting 2 VPs!

• LOL my roles on my Autarch was so bad, but again this is due to me losing turn one, I deployed him max forward in a bldg, which was about 8” from another LOS blocking bldg. in from of me… one hop and I was there, next hop would have been a suicide mission into the swarmlord… I know he could have insta-killed him in a challenge, because we did the roles for fun after the game! However, he won’t be standing alone again for sure at 210pts…

• What are Void Shields and how do they work? (don’t have my dex in front of me)

• Just back luck for the Wraith Guard, and Walkers, with better performance from these I could have won…

#15 · (Edited)
One big lesson that I will take away from this is that now on when I have a unit of wraith guard with d-scythes in a wave serpent I will 100% be taking spirit stone on the WS. This 10 point upgrade could play a huge roll in a game. The fact that once a tank get shaken and can only make snap shots the crew has the same effect along with the fact that templates can't even make snap shots... Makes the stone invaluable.

#16 ·
Okay, I'll give you my advice.

Consider named characters: 6 spring to mind.
Eldrad - robust, plenty of psychic capability and has some nifty rules that allow you to make the most of deployment and the earlier turns.
Karandras - CC monster who can hit at str8 at his Initiative of 7. He'll pulverise pretty much any of the big bugs.
Maugan Ra - Ranged damage expert, focus on trashing the gaunt untis with him, he'll easily kill 3-4 a turn, reducing them in size. Targeting Raveners and Warriors isn't a bad move either.
Yriel - Again, can cause a lot of damage to larger Nids up close, as well as activating his eye if swamped by gaunts.
Asurman - A solid character who will be extraordinarily difficult for a non-anti-inv' save nid to remove from combat. Exarch powers allow him to sit back and hide behind a 3++ and hit out with a str5, no save, insta-kill attack.
Nightspear - his insta-gib sniper rifle will ruin the swarm lord's day.

As for your actual units, I feel that perhaps some larger units of DA would suit a little better than squads of guardians. Purely for the increased armour save - if he is ignoring cover with small-arm fire, then the improved 4+ armour will help counter that. The added range from the Avenger-Shuriken catapult is also a bonus.

Jetbikes in squads of 5-6 with a Shuriken cannon, if you use this correctly, you can disrupt his line by focusing all firepower on one unit over a couple of turns.

Fire Prisms are your friend.

Rangers have no place against Nids anymore, it would seem. Drop them.

Now, if you're REALLY giving up hope, consider an attachment:
The Duke, Sliscus, in a Raider (Splinter Wracks) alongside 9 Dark Eldar Warriors with splinter weaponry - this gives you a stray blast pistol and Dark Lance, 9 bs4 shots that will always wound on 3+, re-rolls to hit in shooting from the raider and 'Rapid fire' up close.
My DE do not struggle against Tyranids in any way, Splinter Weaponry is to Tyranids what Grey Knights are to Daemons, in my experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.