Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

750 Necron All-Comers

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Mardiros129 
#1 ·
My local game shop is hosting a 40K tournament which will be a great opportunity to see how the new Necrons play against lots of different armies. This is an all-purpose army I came up with:
----------------------------------------
Combined Arms Detachment:

HQ
- Catacomb Command Barge (warscythe, phase shifter, gauntlet of fire)

Troops
- Immortals x5 (gauss)
- Immortals x5 (gauss)

Fast
- Destroyers x1
- Destroyers x1
- Destroyers x1

Heavy
- Doomsday Ark
- Heavy Destroyers x1
- Heavy Destroyers x1

Total Points: 750
----------------------------------------
The gameplan is to have the CCB race ahead and assault the big things (monstrous creatures, vehicles) while the Ark takes out larger groups. The Immortals provide a strong core of gauss fire which can kill most non-marines easily and also glance vehicles to death. The Destroyers can capture objectives and take out more heavily armored foes.

I'm not sure about the heavy destroyers. They have good range but at 750 I feel like maybe scarabs would be a better choice. I wanted to take tomb blades since they're ridiculously good in the new codex but unfortunately they're super expensive (and no proxies allowed).

Any advice is welcome :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure about the heavy destroyers. They have good range but at 750 I feel like maybe scarabs would be a better choice. I wanted to take tomb blades since they're ridiculously good in the new codex but unfortunately they're super expensive (and no proxies allowed).
Seems a reasonable list, I certainly think heavy destroyers are better than standard one now they can be taken in single units. Scarabs definitely are not a better choice. They are very expensive for very little IMO so keep the heavies as they are. I'm not sure about Command barges as well, I haven't really used them but from what I hav heard they have taken a massive hit, I would say you would be better of with someone liek Szeras (for his +1 bubble on RP for the immortals) or even just a standard overlord to sit at the front and take the hits with nightmare shroud?

Apart from that seems good for 750pts, have lots of individual destroyers is going to be irritating to deal with.

#3 ·
I broadly agree with falcoso; it's a strong list, for sure.

I'm not sure about Command barges as well, I haven't really used them but from what I hav heard they have taken a massive hit,
They took a hit, definitely, but they were so good before that a nerf is kind of expected. They're a fast, very resilient melee threat which this list otherwise lacks so I think they're solid choices here. The Gauntlet of Fire is probably unnecessary; I'd swap that out for a Phylactery, but apart from that it's great.

I would say you would be better of with someone liek Szeras (for his +1 bubble on RP for the immortals) or even just a standard overlord to sit at the front and take the hits with nightmare shroud?
With only 10 Immortals, I think paying a hair over 100pts to give them +1 RP and have a dude with a shitty Lascannon is definitely on the pricey side. You want to be maximising the number of RP rolls that Szeras buffs; he seems like a very good choice for a list that's shoving big squads into someone's face but not for a list bringing minimum troops to hang back. Likewise, an Overlord isn't really doing anything since he's tanking for a squad worth less than he is. A Command Barge is the best choice for a solo HQ when, like most 750pt lists, you can't maximise the utility of another HQ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.