Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Dual Ravens 1850 Bangles...Competitive?

755 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ntaw 
#1 ·
I always thought this was a weird point level to play at, but a few of my buddies have been making lists this size because of tournaments. In the interest of letting them practice their tourney lists instead of going down or up in points level, I've put together this list of soon-to-be-assembled models for some games in the future. I say this weeks away from becoming a dad, so I really have no idea how much time I'm going to have for dice rolling, model building, or painting in the next few months...but this list looked pretty tight to me so I'd love to hear what some people who play at tournaments think. Feel free to completely rip it up and make new totally suggestions, but please keep it C:BA specific. Swanky Vanilla rules need not apply. Anyway, here's the list:

Baal Strike Force Detachment

HQ

Chaplain w. Valour's Edge, jump pack, digital weapons - 135

Librarian w. ML2, Terminator armour, auspex, melta bombs - 125

ELITES

10x man Death Company w. jump packs, 2x power fists - 280

8x man Sternguard w. 4x combi-meltas, Drop Pod - 251

TROOPS

10x man Tactical squad w. flamer, heavy flamer - 155

10x man Tactical squad w. flamer, heavy flamer - 155

FAST ATTACK

5x man Assault squad w. 2x meltaguns, Rhino - 105

5x man Assault squad w. 2x meltaguns, Rhino - 105

HEAVY SUPPORT

Baal Predator w. twin linked assault cannon, heavy bolter sponsons, pintle stormbolter - 140

Stormraven w. twin linked lascannon and multi-melta - 200

Stormraven w. twin linked assault cannon and multi-melta - 200

TOTAL: 1851

Chappy with the DC, Libby with the SG and rolling on Divination, Tactical squads in Stormravens to assist when there's too much infantry for the bird's limited horde control. Two Rhinos and the Baal roll up either as cover for the DC or, if the DC can move up behind terrain/in cover without them, roll out fast to support the Sternguard.

I feel naked without my Furioso dreads, but this list makes me pretty happy.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never played at tournament level, but somebody mentioned jump packs, so I felt obligated to chime in. At my level of gaming this list certainly looks competitive. Just a few comments:

Chaplain? Good

DC? You'll know way more than I do. I know they hurt my face, that's about it.

Is that Sternguard / Libby combo something you've done before? Looking at the meltas I'd guess it's a suicide melta drop, but that's a VERY expensive, albeit very reliable, melta drop. Otherwise dropping in a critical location and poking fun at well, pretty much anything, sounds good, but then I play RG and hug cover so much I might as well take it with me.

Tacticals - I've only ever run five man, but Combi-flamers / flamer set ups are usually standard for me. Any thoughts on reducing squad size / MOAR flamers? Also, no Rhinos? Heresy!

Assault - Fast transports with Melta - Kill it, kill it now. Got no experience here sadly (stupid pedallo engines) but looks good to me. I run MM Attack bikes in a similar capacity, but obviously lacking melee goodness.

Heavy support choices are very solid, no further comments there.

Overall checks all the bases, Anti horde, Anti Vehicle, Anti flyer in your own flyers, little bit of anti psyker, and generally enough fast moving things to nab objectives. Best of luck with it!

#3 ·
Thanks for the comments @Rush! Let's see what we got here...

Chaplain? Good
Chaplain with AP2 power sword: better. Plus I could get the +1I Warlord Trait for extra fun in combat :crazy:

DC? You'll know way more than I do. I know they hurt my face, that's about it.
Assault marines with Rage, FnP, and Fearless basically (though they get +1S/I on the charge by being BA and in the BSFD). More expensive but a lot more weapon options as well and there's no characters that can get singled out by challenges. The at-Initiative AP2 sword on the Chappy goes a long way to helping these guys out against Terminators as well, though storm shields can ruin anyone's day.

Is that Sternguard / Libby combo something you've done before?
No, they're not even assembled yet. The combi-meltas are there in case they need to be a melta drop, but they're mostly just a big nasty interference unit that messes with target priority. Are you going to focus on killing my Sternguard or my Death Company? Both will mangle your units if you don't deal with them. I'm hoping on either Forewarning or Perfect Timing as powers for the Libby, both of which would be a great help to the Sternguard. As for their cost....well, this is why I've never used them before and they aren't assembled yet :laugh: I'd take them in a smaller unit but BA ASM do melta drops way more effectively, so the combi-meltas are more there for versatility and points filler than anti-armour specifically. Plus more bodies make units more survivable.

Tacticals - I've only ever run five man, but Combi-flamers / flamer set ups are usually standard for me. Any thoughts on reducing squad size / MOAR flamers? Also, no Rhinos? Heresy!
I always play them in Rhinos, but this time my pair of transports are being used by the Assault marines and these guys are going into the Stormravens. However...I'm not sure I get your suggestion. Right now I have more and better flaming capacity than you had with your combi-flamer and if I drop models I lose one special or heavy weapon forcing myself to spend the same number of points on a less effective (because it's one use) weapon. I could switch it all up and use the Flesh Tearers supplement and give up on my precious +1I on the charge so I could take a bunch of Assault marine squads in Rhinos with two flamers in each unit (again, less expensive than Tactical squads and more reliable without a combi-weapon) but I don't have the Rhinos for it all (three max).

Assault - Fast transports with Melta - Kill it, kill it now. Got no experience here sadly (stupid pedallo engines) but looks good to me. I run MM Attack bikes in a similar capacity, but obviously lacking melee goodness.
They're awesome but if that Rhino gets popped before going flat-out across the board they're basically useless. Also since they can't assault out of their vehicle there's no real melee goodness sadly. It's tricky with these guys....ultimately I just like having tanks on the board to block my Death Company.

I could drop a Stormraven to put the Rhinos on the Tactical squads but I'm not sure what to do with the other 110 points aside from call it a 1750 list and add a couple veteran sergeant upgrades in. The Assault squads wouldn't change in points, though I could add a third in with flamers and Deep Strike all of them willy-nilly. If I get the Descent of Angels trait they only get better (I get it sometimes even on the re-roll and it's so useless for me....at least it would be used sometimes this way) thanks to less scatter and re-rolls for Reserves PLUS it doesn't change my footprint on the board T1. If anything it's better having 10 guys in each Rhino...interesting. I don't have enough guys with jump packs made up for three 5x squads though :/

To the bits box....

#4 ·
OK, so maybe not jump packs....but Drop Pods!

Baal Strike Force Detachment

HQ

Chaplain w. Valour's Edge, jump pack, digital weapons - 135

Librarian w. ML2, Terminator armour, auspex, melta bombs - 125

ELITES

10x man Death Company w. jump packs, 2x power fists - 280

8x man Sternguard w. 4x combi-meltas, Drop Pod - 251

TROOPS

10x man Tactical squad w. flamer, heavy flamer, Rhino - 200

10x man Tactical squad w. flamer, heavy flamer, Rhino - 200

FAST ATTACK

5x man Assault squad w. 2x meltaguns, Drop Pod - 105

5x man Assault squad w. 2x meltaguns, Drop Pod - 105

5x man Assault squad w. 2x meltaguns - 105

HEAVY SUPPORT

Baal Predator w. twin linked assault cannon, heavy bolter sponsons, pintle stormbolter - 140

Stormraven w. twin linked lascannon and multi-melta, extra armour - 205

TOTAL: 1851

Better? Worse?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.