Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

How to seal transfers?

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Words_of_Truth 
#1 ·
What paint from GW is used to seal transfers and take the shininess away from the outline of the transfer?

#3 · (Edited)
GW recommends using Lahmian medium. But don't just use that, because it'll look terrible.

Gloss varnish before transfer (I believe it's called 'ard coat?) --> aply transfer --> gloss varnish --> washes/weathering/.... --> lahmian medium/mat varnish

*edit* even better would be microsol products to apply transfers, but that's not strictly necessary. It's just handy to have if you apply them to none flat surfaces.

#6 ·
Get your hands on this stuff. You can pick it up on evilbay. It's changed my attitude to decals altogether. Gloss varnish, wash the area with microsol, apply decal, then some more microsol on top, leave to soften a bit, gently use a brush to remove bubbles or mold to details, add a touch more of this stuff. A final coat of gloss varnish when completely dry. It actually forms a chemical bond to the varnish so you can't see the transparent edging that normally needs painting over. Well worth the few quid.

EDIT: 6000 posts!

#8 ·
Most of my transfers go on shoulder pads so I generally varnish the entire area before putting it on, but if say it is on a vehicle just do the areas the transfer is going on, just make sure you matte varnish it at the end to stop i standing out

#10 ·
I use Rejuvenate Floor Restorer Protectant, but I'm pretty sure any floor polish will work. It's basically polyurethane. For shoulder pads I put a little on the shoulder pad and then float my decal on. I let the floor polish cure a little and then put a little more on. I am basically trapping the decal between two thin layers of polyurethane; a little matt coat once it dries and you're done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.