Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Tau 1850 army competive need help

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Waterduck 
#1 ·
HQ

Commander (162)
Blacksun Filter, Command and Control Node (15pts), Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite (20pts), Multi-Tracker, Neuroweb System Jammer (2pts), Puretide Engram Neurochip (15pts), XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit (25pts)

Ethereal (50pts)

Elites

Riptide Shas'vre (188pts)
Advanced Targeting System (3pts), Ion Accelerator (5pts), Riptide Shield Generator, Twin-linked Plasma Rifle

Riptide Shas'vre (188pts)
Advanced Targeting System (3pts), Ion Accelerator (5pts), Riptide Shield Generator, Twin-linked Plasma Rifle

Crisis Shas'ui (50pts)
Drone Controller (8pts), Flamer (5pts), Plasma Rifle (15pts)

Crisis Shas'ui (50pts)
Drone Controller (8pts), Flamer (5pts), Plasma Rifle (15pts)

Crisis Shas'ui (45pts)
Advanced Targeting System (3pts), Twin-linked Plasma Rifle (20pts)

4x MV7 Marker Drone (48pts)
4x Markerlight

Troops

Fire Warrior Shas'ui with Pulse Blaster (19pts)
Field Amplifier Relay, Photon Grenades

9x Fire Warrior with Pulse Blaster (81pts)
9x Field Amplifier Relay, 9x Photon Grenades

2x MV7 Marker Drone (24pts)
2x Markerlight

2x Markerlight

2x Markerlight

Fast attack

2x Markerlight

6x Pathfinder (66pts)
6x Photon Grenades, 6x Pulse Carbine with Markerlight

Pathfinder Shas'ui (21pts)
Photon Grenades, Pulse Carbine with Markerlight

2x Markerlight

6x Pathfinder (66pts)

Pathfinder Shas'ui (21pts)
Photon Grenades, Pulse Carbine with Markerlight

6x Pathfinder (66pts)

Heavy Support

Broadside (68pts)
Advanced Targeting System (3pts), Twin-linked Heavy Rail Rifle, Twin-linked Smart Missile System

Broadside Battlesuit
Blacksun Filter, Multi-tracker

Broadside (68pts)
Advanced Targeting System (3pts), Twin-linked Heavy Rail Rifle, Twin-linked Smart Missile System

Broadside Battlesuit

Broadside (68pts)

Broadside Battlesuit

Broadside (68pts)

Broadside Battlesuit

Broadside (68pts)

Broadside Battlesuit

Broadside (68pts)

Broadside Battlesuit

Sorry for being so lengthy. Feedback would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
My first and foremost question is... if this is competitive, why CAD? Do you think you'll need Objective Secured that much? Otherwise, I'd say flat out that you should go for the Hunter Contingent.

I tried to build this list as a Hunter Contingent for you, but I'm running into issues with this list.

For instance... you have 3 crisis suits. I'm assuming that they're together in one squad, because you only get 3 elite squads. But then I wonder why two of your crisis have drone controllers.

You mixed plasma with flamers which is... weird. Really weird. Flamers tend to be most useful in anti-horde, or at least in overwatch, while your plasma are built for anti-TEQ. And if you have TEQ charging you, I'd assume you'd much rather want to overwatch at least one shot with that plasma, then hope maybe for a wall of death wound. Then on one suit, you have TL plasma and precision shots... again, not sure there why. Precision Fire will work better when you're hurling a lot of shots around... missiles maybe, but more likely burst cannons. the more dice, the higher chance of 6s.

You're using 3 squads of Breachers, which is fine, and I assume your Ethereal exists to support them. I don't see the need for Shas'uis; you're not running target locks or markerlights from them, so that feels like a bit of a waste just for the +1Ld.

I'm going to jump to your heavy support next: 6 broadsides. Agian, these have to be in units somehow. I'll split the difference and say you're running 3 squads of 2 each. Again, I don't believe ATS is something you want on single-shot rail rifles. a) why are you using rail rifles to shoot at infantry, and b) why are you not shooting at tanks, which you can't precision shot? Or are you that worried about tank squadrons? Not even sure if that works.

I'd also suggest some High Yield Missile Pods. Simply put, they are better for Broadsides. High volume of shots, high strength. They're not cracking open any tanks, but against any other target they're more suited for it.

Riptides. Beautiful. Who doesn't like Riptides? Again, why are you adding precision shots? Especially with Ion; I'm assuming that you'll be using the large blasts occasionally, so that won't really help. Burst Cannon? Sure, go to town. I'm not sure about the plasma on these guys unless you're dedicate them to hunting AP2. These are also great places to add Velocity Trackers and/or Early Warning Override; your army has NO anti-air and nothing to stop something like drop pods, and that's where Tau is SO GOOD at countering with their wargear.

Finally... Fast Attack. I'm going to make a radical suggestion here.

Ditch em. Most of em, at least. You've got so many markerlights in your army. you've got marker drones everywhere, and frankly, it's silly. I would recommend instead removing all the drone controllers and all the assorted marker drones (you have 14), and run the Drone Net XV-10 formation from Mont'ka. It requires you to run 4 squads of drones, which is 16, so not hard to find a few points for those, especially if you cut back on your pathfinders. If you do so, those drones are BS 3 (assuming you still have 2 squads of drones on the field), meaning they're just as good at shooting their markerlights as your pathfinders, as your drones attached to crisis drone controllers, etc. PLUS they get skyfire, interceptor, split fire, and can even jink and outflank if you want them to.

Instead, since a Hunter Contingent must have one 'fast' option, keep one squad of Pathfinders, and run them with rail rifles as a monster hunting unit, or similar.

Finally... your Commander. Where does he go? I assume in with the Crisis Suits, because there's no where else really for him. The buffmander is of course always an obvious choice, but at the same time... that Crisis squad is fairly underwhelming for all the buffs you added. And putting twin linked plasma on a model that is using his CNC node to make the shots twin-linked....

Edit:

This is what I'd run for your list, with some changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.