Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Kelann08 
#1 ·
I got a good amount of questions that the new FAQ didn't answer... so what's your guys take on these?

1) If Mind in the Machine effects a Zooming Flyer with more then four weapons (and missiles) how many can you fire? The rule says may fire as if it didn't move in the previous turn.

2) Three Part Question:
i) When playing a mission with the Night Fighting rule, and you are using Imotekh, who's Lord of the Strom rule always makes it Night Fighting in the first turn, do you roll for the Mission's Night Figthing anyways?
ii) If yes, and the normal Night Fighting roll fails, do you roll to see if night fighting comes into effect on turn 5?
iii) If yes again, would this Night Fighting cause Lightining Bolts?

3) A Tesla Destructor arcs to a unit that can not be seen by the unit that fired, but can be seen by the unit targeted. Can any wounds actually be caused?

4) What do you roll first? Deny the Witch? Or Gloom Prisim?

5) Does a C'tan's Lord of Fire work against Psyker using a power from the Pyromancy Discipline?

6) Do Canoptek Spyders gain an extra attack if they have a Fabrication Array?

See less See more
#3 ·
1) If Mind in the Machine effects a Zooming Flyer with more then four weapons (and missiles) how many can you fire? The rule says may fire as if it didn't move in the previous turn.
The maximum amount available. It fires as if it didn't move.

2) Three Part Question:
i) When playing a mission with the Night Fighting rule, and you are using Imotekh, who's Lord of the Strom rule always makes it Night Fighting in the first turn, do you roll for the Mission's Night Figthing anyways?
ii) If yes, and the normal Night Fighting roll fails, do you roll to see if night fighting comes into effect on turn 5?
i) No. It says they "automatically apply". My guess is they worded it like this knowing how night fighting would work in 6E.

ii) "...cease to be in effect and are not used for the rest of the battle." Again, no. Again, worded in such a way as to indicate they knew how NF would work in 6th. Look at it this way, prior to 6E, was there any way to add night fighting back to the game after it had ended? Nope. Hence this sentence would only be necessary if you knew you were adding a way to apply NF to later turns of the game.

iii) see ii.

3) A Tesla Destructor arcs to a unit that can not be seen by the unit that fired, but can be seen by the unit targeted. Can any wounds actually be caused?
Not sure, this is definitely an FAQ question. I would say yes. Reasoning? The arcs are similar to a scattering blast weapon. You can't see where the blast scatters to but it still deals damage when it gets there. My guess is we need a new USR term like "incidental damage" that applies regardless of LOS or NF rules to weapons like arcing tesla or blast templates.

I would say whichever is better. Think of it like an armor save for psychic powers.

5) Does a C'tan's Lord of Fire work against Psyker using a power from the Pyromancy Discipline?
The entry expressly says "all flamer weapons and weapons with the melta type." A psychic power is not classified as a weapon therefore it doesn't apply.

By default, Spyders are not stated as having a melee weapon. Based on page 51 "no specified melee weapon" section, this means it does in fact have one. The fabricator claw array is ADDING a melee weapon to the unit therefore it has two therefore giving it an additional attack.

#4 ·
The maximum amount available. It fires as if it didn't move.
Well that's the thing a Zooming flyer always has to move, and is only allowed to fire four weapons a turn while zooming. Take for example the Dark Eldar Razorwing Jetfighter, it has Twin-linked splinter rifles; Two wing-mounted dark lances; Four monoscythe missiles. What could I fire?

i) No. It says they "automatically apply". My guess is they worded it like this knowing how night fighting would work in 6E.

ii) "...cease to be in effect and are not used for the rest of the battle." Again, no. Again, worded in such a way as to indicate they knew how NF would work in 6th. Look at it this way, prior to 6E, was there any way to add night fighting back to the game after it had ended? Nope. Hence this sentence would only be necessary if you knew you were adding a way to apply NF to later turns of the game.

iii) see ii.
I didn't think this worked. But I had to make sure... and I think they should throw it in the FAQ for good measure.

Not sure, this is definitely an FAQ question. I would say yes. Reasoning? The arcs are similar to a scattering blast weapon. You can't see where the blast scatters to but it still deals damage when it gets there. My guess is we need a new USR term like "incidental damage" that applies regardless of LOS or NF rules to weapons like arcing tesla or blast templates.
I would like to say I would be able to wound as well... but the FAQ says Cover saves are determined by the firing unit, and not the unit hit.

I would say whichever is better. Think of it like an armor save for psychic powers.
Well you get both, think it of a Rune Preist's Runic Weapon, rather then a psychic hood. I was just wondering witch would you take first?

The entry expressly says "all flamer weapons and weapons with the melta type." A psychic power is not classified as a weapon therefore it doesn't apply.
That is what I thought... just wasn't 100% if psychic powers where considered weapons or not.

By default, Spyders are not stated as having a melee weapon. Based on page 51 "no specified melee weapon" section, this means it does in fact have one. The fabricator claw array is ADDING a melee weapon to the unit therefore it has two therefore giving it an additional attack.
Very nice, now I just need to get some more Spyders and put Fabricator Claw Arrays on them.

#5 ·
I got a good amount of questions that the new FAQ didn't answer... so what's your guys take on these?

You can take both.

It its a psychic shooting attack that fits the profile, read the power. It would work agents any weapon with an effect described in the rule.

No.

Because you only get the default CCW if you don't have one, as soon as you buy the Fabricator Claw Array, you have a CCW and don't receive one by default. Same way as SM with a bolt pistol doesn't have a CCW, but can use the BP but loses the default one.

#7 ·

It its a psychic shooting attack that fits the profile, read the power. It would work agents any weapon with an effect described in the rule.
Read the rule in the Necron Codex. A psychic shooting attack is not a weapon. The codex says it only works against weapons with the melta or flamer type. Not attacks or shooting attacks or abilities with the melta or flamer type.

No.

Because you only get the default CCW if you don't have one, as soon as you buy the Fabricator Claw Array, you have a CCW and don't receive one by default. Same way as SM with a bolt pistol doesn't have a CCW, but can use the BP but loses the default one.
Taking the Arra doesn't remove something you already have. Its also not listed as an upgrade to the Spyder's CCW. The spyder isn't listed as having a CCW therefore it gets one by default. Adding the Array increases the number of CCWs by one, hence an extra attack. A space marine comes with a bolt pistol by default which is recognized as a close combat weapon. There is nothing listed as a CCW in the Spyder's basic entry. Apples and oranges.

#8 ·
1) If Mind in the Machine effects a Zooming Flyer with more then four weapons (and missiles) how many can you fire? The rule says may fire as if it didn't move in the previous turn

I would say you fire 4 weapons normally thn snap fire the rest

#11 ·
Gonna answer without looking to see how many people think like me.

As many as a stationary flyer could fire. Make sure to expend all their one-shot weapons first though just to irritate your opponent.

2) Three Part Question:
Yes.

Yes.

No. Imotekh's night fighting at the very beginning, regardless of whether the roll succeeded, causes the bolts. Not the natural night fighting.

Yes. They are not actually being shot at by the destructor, merely being the victim of a weapon's special effect, which has already hit.

Uhhh.

I would think not, as the rule is very fluff-based, and it says it causes fuel tanks and power sources to explode. As psyker powers have no combustible fuel or power core, I would say it doesn't do anything.

I actually want an answer to this one myself. If so, then thats yet another good reason to take a FCA. I would say no however, since it isn't a pair of CCWs, but rather, just a single one.

#12 ·
What's great way to get people to use up missiles. Shoot them at their own guys. I have nothing else to say, other than for the one about Nitfighting, you do not roll to see if it applies, as it does so automatically and you then role if it comes on on turn 5, which I think will generate lightning

#14 ·
The FCA on a spyder is a good question as they also would put light on how the particle caster works on Wraiths, they don't say they have ccw but are counted as having one but then you add another one...

Night fight is a tricky one as depending on how you read the rules you could say his says automatically the first turn and roll for the rest of the game and when it ceases you don't roll for the rest of the game so hmmm, probably don't have to roll for it at all regardless of the mission you are playing but would be nice for GW to clarify on that one. I've always treated them as separate though as BRB says roll for the first turn if not roll again on round 5, otherwise night fight is in effect on turn 1 per mission rules and then Imo's takes over from there. And if lost then you would regain it on Turn 5 if it did come back, but again this one can be tricky depending on how you read the rules...

#16 ·
Night fight is a tricky one as depending on how you read the rules you could say his says automatically the first turn and roll for the rest of the game and when it ceases you don't roll for the rest of the game so hmmm, probably don't have to roll for it at all regardless of the mission you are playing but would be nice for GW to clarify on that one. I've always treated them as separate though as BRB says roll for the first turn if not roll again on round 5, otherwise night fight is in effect on turn 1 per mission rules and then Imo's takes over from there. And if lost then you would regain it on Turn 5 if it did come back, but again this one can be tricky depending on how you read the rules...
The rules are straightforward on this. Night fighting applies automatically during the first game turn. As long as you continue to roll higher than the current turn, you can keep Night Fighting going. Since Night Fighting applied on turn one, you would never roll on turn five and if it ended early, the rule still says they are not used for the rest of the battle.

5E scenarios didn't all have night fighting, 6E rules do. You can tell from the wording (by not saying "if your scenario doesn't include night fighting...") that they wrote it to fit perfectly with 6E and apply to 5E for the time between releases. Furthermore, since there was no possible way to institute Night Fighting in 5E after turn one, the sentence "...not used for the rest of the battle" is evidence that they knew there would be a rule for rolling for Night Fighting later in the game and needed to rule out the possibility that someone might think they needed to roll for it in 6E.

There's no interpretation to make - codex trumps BRB.

#17 ·
I just thought of another Mind in the Machine question.

Could Mind in the Machine be used on an Allied Vehicle to gain more shots?

Necron's have no Battle Brothers, so all of their allies are considered to be enemy models that you can't directly attack. And Mind in the Machine targets enemy vehicles...

#19 ·
Speaking strictly to RAW, it looks like you can. The Allies of Convenience and Desperation rule only stipulates that you cannot charge, shoot, target with a psychic power or place template weapons on them. Since this skill isn't an attack, a shot, a psychic power or a template, there's nothing to indicate you can't do it. It also indicates you "choose an enemy vehicle" and the allies rule specifically states they are treated as enemy units.

I would certainly say that this isn't RAI and I would not agree to let my opponent do this. One could feasibly do this to get more shots out of a stunned or shaken tank, double the shots out of a tank or get a full compliment of shots after moving full out. Not a very sporting thing to do. :ireful2:

I would think not as that could be considered an act of hostility towards your allies and then you may have to fight your own allies at that point. but could be intriguing if you could but would assume it would be like targeting your own ships to use more of their fire power...
Unfortunately fluff reasoning won't hold water in a tournament and there's always someone at your FLGS who argues rules like its a tournament even though you're playing a casual game.

#18 ·
I would think not as that could be considered an act of hostility towards your allies and then you may have to fight your own allies at that point. but could be intriguing if you could but would assume it would be like targeting your own ships to use more of their fire power...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.