Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Member of the Month May 2009 - TheKingElessar

4K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  TheKingElessar 
#1 ·

TheKingElessar

This month we'd like to award TheKingElessar. He's a friendly and helpful poster and is active all over the site, often making a particular effort to help people. He is also relatively new to Heresy, but in his short time here has made a name for himself as a very positive member of the forums.

Heresy Online user name: TheKingElessar
Main Army: Ulthwe Eldar...at the minute
Personal Website: Mind War FTW!

What motivates you when choosing to buy or build an army? Mostly the background of an army, although the quality of models has an influence. Eventually I want to play virtually every 40k and Fantasy army.

What motivates you to keep playing or participating in the hobby? I have a great bunch of friends that also play, I love my time on Heresy discussing the hobby...I've been playing since I was 8, but the hobby hasn't diminished for me at all, even if I do miss Tanglefoot Grenades!

Do you play for fun or victory?
There's little difference, for me. If I can't win a game, then I won't enjoy it, and most of my enjoyment comes from me playing well...not necessarily better than the opponent, but well, which usually leads to victory.

What are your thoughts on the Grand Tournament scene? IS it good for the hobby? Yes. It helps players to play better, and to use better armies. For me, competition is important, I want to excel, and, luckily, I'm fairly good at 40k, so climbing to the top is possible.

What gaming clubs do you belong to or have you been a member of? At my secondary school I literally ran the club, even at 12. I'm an infrequent member of QUB Dragonslayers.

Which Race is your toughest opponent to face on the game table?
Dark Angels, simply because of Ouflanking/Scout moving Meltaguns on wheels. The fact that they're played by probably the best player I know doesn't help...Nor does the fact that I taught him to play!
Astronomicon's Japhelio has a deadly Tyranid army, although ATTs Igglepopper isn't as good with his Grey Knights as with his Tau, he's a good opponent too.

Favorite sports team? The Mighty Arsenal. No jokes please.

What armies do you play? Other than my Eldar, I have around 10k of 40k Orks, a small CSM army (Death Guard), and am building Dark Elves for WFB, Scythes of the Emperor/Imperial Fists/SM Crusade army (excuse for a Raven Guard squad and some Iron Hands) for 40k.

Which system do you prefer and why?
I'm still learning Fantasy, not fair to say.

How long have you been playing GW games? 15 years, although with a roughly 2 year break.

What's your favourite movie, book and song? 'The Labyrinth', 'The Fox Cub Bold' by Colin Dann, 'Viva La Vida' by Coldplay.

Any pictures you'd like to share? I have a couple WIP threads at the minute ,although the Orks are on hold until the Eldar are done...

What is your greatest achievement that you're proud of? I tend to dwell more on failures...I know it sounds pessimistic, but IMO it's the best way to learn from mistakes, and make me play the game better. Still, I'm cooking up a biggie right now...

How did you come up with your username? I have a trend of referring to myself as some kind of King, and at school, waiting for RotK to come out, hit upon the name for myself as a pseudonym...kinda like how Voldemort came up with his, except mine's no anagram!

How did you find out about Heresy? What made you stay? I joined DakkaDakka looking for some nice 40k Forum action, figured I'd join a couple others to increase my profile in the game, (egotistical, what can I say) found Heresy, and liked it better than any others before or since! The community here is quite simply the best I've ever encountered, it's better than many real life ones!

Other Usernames we may know you by? On DD I'm simply Elessar, but everywhere else I'm TKE!

If you could change something about heresy what would it be? There's already a thread on this

Favourite mini of any range ever? Eldrad Ulthran. Jes Goodwin sculpt = win. Sadly, that one in last months WD was better than mine

What was the first ever model you bought or were given? First one I remember was the 2nd Ed boxset, that came with an 'army' of Marines, and Orks. I played Blood Angels...and I sucked. My little bro took the Orks. Eventually, I started playing the Orks, and found them a lot more fun...in a way I feel as though I've graduated onto Eldar, (though I've now played them for about 5 years!) and it's very rewarding.

See less See more
#5 ·
Wayhay, Grats TSE ;) Well Deserved mate ;)

Anyway... No jokes?

One day Tom Thumb, Snow White, and Quasimodo are sitting around talking. All of the sudden Tom Thumb says, "You know, how do I know I'm the world's smallest man? Maybe I'm NOT the world's smallest man". And he got very depressed.
Then Snow White says, "How do I know I'm the most beautiful woman in the world? Perhaps there is someone more beautiful than me!" And she got very depressed.
Quasimodo then said, 'How do I know I'm the world's ugliest person? Maybe there is someone uglier than me!" And he, too, sank into depression.
One week later the three were all killed in a car crash. While in Heaven's waiting room, they were all entitled to a private conference with God, who would answer for them one question. After Tom Thumb's conference, he came out smiling and said, "It's all right, I am the world's smallest man". Snow White left God's chamber smiling also, "It's ok,"
she said, "I am the fairest of them all". Quasimodo came out of his conference scratching his head. He looked at the others and asked, "Who the hell is Martin Keown?"

#8 ·
Really? He seems a bit of a loon if you ask me. Hmm... I guess this is what happens when you spike the koolaid with the wrong stuff..sigh

Congratulations bud! From what I've seen since my short hiatus you do deserve this! Now..keep up the good work...or else...

Good luck and good gaming,

Nate

#9 ·
Thanks for all the comments, although the Martin Keown joke actually did make me LOL...

"I did my best, I have no regrets", although "I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear!"

+Rep for anyone who identifies the quotes (Yeah, another thread where I give out rep for an arbitrary reason!:p)

TKE - King of Awesome, and now, King of May!

PS - Look out MJ, King of Pop is next!!!

#10 · (Edited)
Hahahaha
"I like shorts they're comfy and easy to wear"
It's one of the kids in pokemon
ironically i think i remember the kid exactly
its the kid between pewter city and mount moon
haha
i think his name is youngster joey
i have a good memory for irrelevant shit

Congratulations once again on member of the month

#12 ·
Congrats and well deserved as he has been all over the place and giving out advice as well as helping new members. Good to see a new guy picking up the slack when us old guys need a nap.

#16 ·
Welcome, your highness, to my domain. *Bow* Allow my butler, LordWaffles, to take your coat...(can't wait to see how he reacts to that!) :p
Between our Royal Selves we have nary a worry, in truth. As for patches, way cool! :eek:k:

#17 ·
props dude. i saw you on about 90% of the threads out there, and youve always had somthing important to say. its about time they recognised you, although kinda hard not to.

#24 ·
Thank you, now the old King is dead, long live the King! I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing...

:grin: It'll look egotistical to keep posting in this thread, so, if I don't thank you for saying 'well done' or whatever after this post - don't take it personally! :)

#25 ·
I have only just started to notice your posts very recently but I would say you deserve it. Obviously me being me I have to say that obviously I deserved it more, but there you have it. Well done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.