Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

X-Wing Tournaments, UK.

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Tawa 
#1 · (Edited)
So, there's a store about twenty minutes away from me that are kicking off a league next week.

Any other Heretics nearby that are going to this? :)

There's also one at The Outpost in Sheffield on the 26th of this month, if anybody is hitting that one? :)

#2 ·
After a few days of swapping and changing, this is pretty much the list I will be taking to the tournament on Sunday;

Darth Vader - Squad Leader
Turr Phennir - Stealth Device
Dark Curse
Obsidian Squadron Pilot
Academy Pilot

Me, @Tawa and our other X Wing playing comrade Rich will be spending Saturday refining lists, tactics and errata prior to the tournament.

My only real change may be swapping out Turr's Stealth Device with either a shield/hull upgrade or giving him Daredevil for some pretty lunatic manoeuvres. That aside, I can't see much changing and I'm looking forward to chucking some dice this weekend.

#3 ·
Nice looking list bro, I'll do my best to break it on Saturday :good:

The list I'll be bringing over to try out for Sunday is the following:

Wedge Antilles. Reduces opponents Agility by 1.
Proton Torpedoes.
R5-K6. After using a Target Lock, roll an evade symbol for a free Target Lock.

Biggs Darklighter. Other friendly ships at Range 1 must be targeted by the enemy if possible.
R5-D8. Action: Roll Focus or Evade to discard a face-down damage card.

"Dutch" Vander. After acquiring a Target Lock, a friendly ship at Range 1-2 may immediately acquire a Target Lock.
Ion Turret.
Proton Torpedoes.
Proton Torpedoes.
R2 Astromech. Treat all 1 and 2 manoeuvres as Green.

I intend to fly these guys in a tight formation to overlap skills etc :)

#4 ·
Do you guys tend to run more point heavy ships as a group?

In general my group tends to be "fit as many ships as possible" into a list.

----

While I am not interested in going to the tournaments I tend to run tournament lists;x-wing is an enjoyable game for me to be lazy about.

In general my Imperial list tends to be

Howlrunner
Backstabber
Black Squad
Black Squad
Obsidian Squad
Obsidian Squad
Academy Pilot

----

My Rebels has currently evolved to be
B-Wing (Skill 4)
B-Wing (Skill 4) Proton Torpedoes
X-Wing (skill 4)
x-Wing (skill 4)

----

I just find it interesting that the imperial list only has 4 ships, and most people here find that Imperial require 4 ships minimum, 5+ is better

and Rebel has a mix of heavy pointed and spammy.

#5 · (Edited)
Not especially. Sometimes I'll break out my Imperial stuff and spam the table with cheap-ass nasty Academy Pilots :laugh:

@Logaan usually favours mid-size lists with some mods sprinkled in.
(Just don't ask him about asteroids or large bases.......)

While I am not interested in going to the tournaments I tend to run tournament lists;x-wing is an enjoyable game for me to be lazy about.
Tournaments have never interested me in all the years I've been playing 40k, Necro and other stuff, but for some reason, X-Wing seems to appeal.
Maybe it's just because I enjoy the game that much? I don't know, as I still don't see myself as a "competitive" player as I really don't mind/care where I finish off as long as I get some good games in :)

Round One of the league I'm playing in went something like this:
Match One: 57pts - 0pts. Win.
Match Two: 30pts - 70pts. Loss.
Match Three: 21pts - 98pts. Loss.

Round One ranking was 6th of 9. Didn't even get the booby prize :laugh:

Out of those, I actually enjoyed match three the most :)

#6 ·
I'm a dedicated Imperial player and never played as Rebels. But I have a number of lists that I regular use, from twin Firespray lists to TIE swarms.

Like @Tawa says, my normal list is 4-5 ships with a few upgrades and pilot skills with several variations on this.

I'm not really a competitive player but X Wing seems to have a good community, a ruleset that can't really be exploited and, most importantly, its Star wars.

#7 ·
A most interesting practice day with Tawa today......which has culminated in his switching to an entirely different list!

I ran my list as above for two matches. The first was hugely successful with Turr Phennir running the show and gunning down both Wedge and Biggs.

The third was an utter debacle with Turr beaching himself on an asteroid before being blown to pieces. The list was comprehensively outplayed and outfought with some absolutely staggeringly bad dice rolls from me. This was the match that convinced Tawa to take the list he has chosen for tomorrow.

The second was an experimental all Imperial affair that after an hours play, the only casualties were a Lambda shuttle and TIE fighter. All rather odd.

But the lists are pretty much nailed down now bar some very last minute tweaking....

#8 ·
Stay off YouTube!!! :laugh:

Yeah, all three games were rather enjoyable and I'm rather glad I got to test pilot that list before tomorrow as it didn't run at all well.... :unsure:

We'll see how this basic list performs instead :good:

#9 ·
Huge thank you to the guys at the Outpost in Sheffield for a truly excellent tournament today :victory:

Well organised and well run, I got to meet and play against a lot of people that make the hobby as enjoyable as it is. A thoroughly enjoyable day and a 15th out of 22 finish with two wins and three losses including an epic final game.

Top day all round :grin:

#12 · (Edited)
Seconded. Yesterday was a damn good day all around. A well run tournament that felt more like a casual afternoon chucking dice than a "full-on" tournament which went a long way toward the experience.
Bring on the next one! :good:

After that its building your lists for your chosen faction. Most small base blisters are £12, bigger base ships (Firespray, YT, Lamba shuttle) are about £25 and the Rebel/Imperial aces boxes are about £24.
Fixed that for you bro :good:

Anyways, enough of my prattling on. The results!

@Logaan finished 15th out of 22 with 2 wins and 3 losses.
He killed off a combined total of 11 ships for 20 losses. (OUCH!)

I finished 17th out of 22. Also with 2 wins and 3 losses.
I saw off a combined total of 7 enemy ships for 15 losses.

And the star of our fledgling squadron was Rich, who finished an impressive 9th out of 22 with 3 wins and 2 losses.
A combined total of 11 kills for 8 losses rounds out his stats for the tournament. :good:

#11 ·
You can pick the core game up for at about £25 but eventually you will probably want a second copy for more dice, ships and tokens. This would give you two X Wings, four TIE's, lots of dice/tokens and a extra set of movement templates.

After that its building your lists for your chosen faction. Most small base blisters are £12, bigger base ships (Firespray, YT, Lamba shuttle) are about £12 and the Rebel/Imperial aces boxes are about £24.

The main thing is the game is instantly accessible and straight out of the box. No painting, no extra books or rules. You can have as much fun with three ships as you can with ten.

A definitely recommended game and, when compared to other systems, relatively easy on the wallet.

#14 ·
I've decided that I loathe TIE Defenders based on this weekend.......

#15 ·
League Round Two tonight :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.