Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Total Warhammer NOOB - From Australia

784 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Scythes 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Ive been to your site a few times and really like your community of members as your are all really happy to help each other out and comment on each other works, so well done guys as its really hard to find a good interent forum now days.

now that thats over let me tell you a little about myself. I am a complete warhammer newbie. i was over at a friends house one night and found a copy of his white dwarf magazine and i started asking about it. anyhow i thought it sounded interesting so i went and bought a starter paint kit with some little goblins, started painting it and LOVED it.

anyhow, i have decided to collect Fantasy rather than 40K and then decided to choose warriors of Chaos as my collectable army, purely for looks as i have no idea how to play the game......yet.

anyhow, i really like the background of Khorne, and i really like the look of the reds thier army has.

For xmas my Fiance bought me the chaos battalion which was really nice of her, so was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to paint red themed warriors, please any help would be most appreciated, and as i am still getting into it all relatively low skilled in terms of painting at the moment, basically self taught from the internet.

paint colours, mixes etc would be most helpful but really like the red plate armour with the traces of gold. any help would be most appreciated, and i look forward to your responces.

Cheers,

Hughesie

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello and welcome to Heresy Online. More worshippers of Khorne are always welcome.

As for the painting, it might be beneficial for you to start a thread in the Modelling and Painting section. But I personally would use a basecoat of Mechrite Red, highlight/drybrush Red Gore, highlight/drybrush 50:50 Red Gore/Blood Red then highlight/drybrush pure Blood Red on the most raised edges. If you want help understanding what the different painting terms means feel free to just ask. This guide might also prove useful to you, it's not for Warriors of Chaos but the same technique could be applied to their armour - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68715.

Enjoy your stay.

#4 ·
I'd highly advise buying some washes. Using washes appropriately makes your models look SO much better, and can be forgiving if you go outside the lines with some other paints. For example, with the WoC shields, you could paint the entire shield red, then paint the chaos symbol gold and then wash Devlan Mud over the red. This will mostly fill in the gaps between the red and the gold, blocking out any little mishaps you've had and giving the illusion of shading.

On the Games Workshop website you can find washes by going to 'Paints and Tools - Citadel Paints - Citadel Washes'. Washes are just really watered down paints so that they flow around the model and are used, generally, for filling in gaps. Browns compliment warmer colours, especially red, quite well where as colours like blue work well with Black.

For the record;

Devlan Mud - Brown Wash
Badab Black - Black Wash

There are plenty of other paints, but these things are my favourites. A really sneaky technique I saw by GW staff to paint ghostly models was spraying all of them white and then washing them really heavily with Thraka Green (Green Wash). It gave a professional finish and entire units were finished within minutes.

With your paints, I prefer not to paint straight from the pot (Except with washes) so I advise getting either a pallet, or a smooth plastic paint station (I'm using my gay pride sign; it's essentially an A2 piece of plastic). Put a few brush-fulls of paint on your pallet, and then dip it in water and mix it with the paint. Do this until you're happy with the thickness; it takes a bit of time, but you'll eventually learn what consistencies are good or bad.

Another thing I always tell any beginners is not to have huge loads of paint on your brush when painting a model; the paint gets too thick and gives you un-even layers of paint whilst killing any of the detail on the model. This is the main reason for watering your paints down a little. When you get paint on your brush, just paint some of it off onto the palette or paint station so it's not too thick and then go to the model.

Putting your work in the Modelling and Painting section will get you comments and constructive criticism which will help you improve quickly.

One last thing is highlighting.. You may want to lay off this for your first batch of models, but highlighting just makes detail pop. Let's you back to your WoC shields for a moment. Where you paint the Red Gore shield, followed by the gold symbol, but before you do the wash you can mix blood red with red gore to get a colour that's lighter than red gore. You then just do a thin line right around the edge of the shield. Blood red is likely going to be far too bright, so you need to make a mid-point between the two colours by just mixing. Some people aren't sure how to mix or how people measure out ratios. Say you want this new red colour; I'd say it's an even 1:1 mix of Blood Red:Red Gore. This is really simple; all you do it dip your brush in the pot of red gore until the bristles are all covered in paint, and then wipe the paint off on your palette. Wash your brush, and then dip it into the pot of blood red until all the bristles are covered in paint, then just shove it in with the red gore on your palette and mix it around until you've got a consistent new colour (Just no streaks in it) and that's all that mixing is. It's essential that you clean your brush between each colour other wise your blood red is going to get tainted with red gore. It might make little difference now, but after a few mixes, you're going to have a darker shade of red which will just generally be a pain.

For the red plate with gold, just do something like I suggested for the shield. This may turn out to be a bit too dark, in which case you could use the 1:1 mix of Blood Red and Red Gore for your main colour, and highlight with straight Blood Red. Remember; it doesn't hurt to use the same colour more than once. When I was first starting to paint, I remember looking at a model and thinking "No.. I've already used green, I can't use it again". But really, you should if it works.

Good luck with your painting and I hope to see your work soon.

#10 ·
Welcome to heresy online. Good choice on the warriors of chaos. That is the way i would go if i played fantasy. Which part of Aus are you from anyway? I am up in FNQ. Townsville to be exact.

#11 ·
Welcome to the forums, you'll find plenty of good info here, actually I think you already have just in this thread. As with anything, good painting comes in time, it takes practice. Don't get discouraged if the early models don't come out how you want, you can always work on the rest of your army come back to them later and touch them up as you get better. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.