Ahriman:Exile - Page 7

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

Ahriman:Exile

Black Library Fiction

#61 Old 06-19-14, 01:19 AM Ahriman:Exile
Vitarus

I really enjoyed this book the first time. I absolutely loved it this time. Incredible uses of psyker powers. Far and away the best I've read so far. The variety and inventiveness are amazing. And not remotely just flames, telekinesis, and all that flashy, forceful stuff. I'm talking about very subtle things, and even just his perceptions of particular ideas and moments.

Ahriman's power is as staggering as it should be. I'm not positive he sleeps in the entire book. Probably. Heh. Yet he has to go from one insanely dangerous situation to another, maintaining his calm and focus, planning impossibly intricate things out to the tiniest detail, and finding immense reserves of power.

The story is great, with some very interesting characters.

Eisenhorn and Ravenor have been my favorite BL books since I read them, which was in the very beginning of my BL introduction. (Right after the Blood Angels Omnibus.) Ahriman: Exile is most definitely tied with them for the top spot.
Sponsored Links

#62 Old 06-19-14, 02:06 AM Ahriman:Exile
MontytheMighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitarus View Post
I really enjoyed this book the first time. I absolutely loved it this time. Incredible uses of psyker powers. Far and away the best I've read so far. The variety and inventiveness are amazing. And not remotely just flames, telekinesis, and all that flashy, forceful stuff. I'm talking about very subtle things, and even just his perceptions of particular ideas and moments.

Ahriman's power is as staggering as it should be.
I haven't read this book but I have read some complaints that Ahriman isn't powerful enough in the book.

#63 Old 06-19-14, 04:45 AM Ahriman:Exile
Vitarus

I can't imagine how anyone could think that.

#64 Old 06-19-14, 11:46 AM Ahriman:Exile
Khorne's Fist
Dazed and confused.
Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
I haven't read this book but I have read some complaints that Ahriman isn't powerful enough in the book.
This is a deliberate plot device.

This is one of the best 40k novels of the last 5 years by a long way.

01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100001 01101000 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100001

#65 Old 07-07-14, 02:09 PM Ahriman:Exile
Vitarus

Just read Ahriman: The Dead Oracle. A short story, it continues where Exile left off. French is fantastic. I love the way he handles the warp, demons, and all things power.

#66 Old 07-08-14, 12:28 PM Ahriman:Exile
Anakwanar

Ahriman: The Dead Oracle - very good

#67 Old 07-08-14, 07:26 PM Ahriman:Exile
Malus Darkblade
Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
I was not a fan of the novel. I didn't complete it or get towards the end where Ahriman supposedly decides to not handicap his power levels anymore but the book didn't sit well with me (especially seeing a Chaos Marine turning into Gollum and having the capacity to feel fear). I'll need to revisit it.

#68 Old 07-08-14, 07:29 PM Ahriman:Exile
Brother Lucian

My take is that Ahriman got his confidence back and that boosted his power and ability to channel the warp. It is after all a highly willpower driven act. He had after all been on the run in selfimposed exile, but deciding to make a stand instead of going out with a whimper.

#69 Old 07-08-14, 09:02 PM Ahriman:Exile
Mossy Toes
Entropy Fetishist
Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
(especially seeing a Chaos Marine turning into Gollum and having the capacity to feel fear)
That never particularly bothered me, to be honest. CSMs don't have the And They Shall Know No Fear USR on the tabletop for good reason: they are the Space Marines that felt fear, whose conditioning was imperfect; they were the flawed and the broken, the ones who could be tempted into damnation; they were the selfish and the greedy, who discarded discipline and duty for self-absorption and base survival. If the mind of one of these failures cracks and he's reduced to a gibbering wreck, well...

(there are some spoilery extenuating circumstances that justify some of the things that go on in this regard, too, but those aren't revealed until practically the epilogue, so I won't go into those)

CSM Plog, Tactica

If I post a Chaos Daemons list that doesn't include Skarbrand or Be'lakor, I have been kidnapped and an imposter is posting for me. Probably.

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 07-09-14 at 01:01 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction