Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Dark Elf 1500 Point Preliminary list

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  iamtheeviltwin 
#1 ·
So, I'm new to both the game and the Army, I've been playing in a Tale of Painters and Gamers event at my local GW store, where my Dark Elves have performed very well at the 500 and 1000 point brackets. Our next milestone is 1500 points, which requires more thought, so I thought I'd seek advice!

Currently, all I own is:
30 Darkshards
20 Corsair
10 Cold One Knights
Scourgerunner Chariot
10 Shades
5 Doomfire Warlock
Black Ark Fleetmaster
2 Sorceress

So if possible, I'd like to keep my list to these, for now. I have a bit of money spare so I can afford more units if need be :)

The list I came up with is as follows:

Lord
Supreme Sorceress - Level 4, Dispel Scroll

Hero
Sorceress - Level 2
Master - Lance, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One, Dawnstone
Master - Halberd, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, BSB (Banner of The World Dragon – Stolen)

Core
Darkshard (10)
Darkshard (10)
Corsair (20) - Standard Bearer, Captain, AHW, Banner of Eternal Flame

Special
Cold One Knight (9) - SB

Rare
Doomfire Warlock (5)

Okay, so I field my Cold One Master with the rest of the knights to make a solid block of 10, with the sole purpose of making hard charges into the flanks of large units, inflicting as many wounds as possible, and using combat resolution to chase down and kill them, or cripple the unit to the point where it cannot fight back. With 12 S6 hits (With loads of rerolls), and 10 more at S4, it's a very dangerous unit.

I have mixed feelings about the Corsair. The other Master sits in this group (I should probably explain that in the campaign I'm playing I won enough relics to steal the High elves banner, which desn't count toward my points cost) I prefer to field them with a level 4 Shadow Sorceress for the massive augments and hexes she can give (Okkam's Mindrazor makes this unit a monster), but even with a level 2 Shadow Sorc, Melkoths support, along with Soulblight from the Warlocks can turn any fight into these guys favour. With AHW, it's all about winning combat resolution again.

I prefer to field my Sorceresses as Level 4 Life, Level 2 Shadow, but can change around depending on individual games. Doomfire Warlocks provide even more magic whilst rampaging about on the flanks of units. I always end up with 8 spells, which is more than enough to burn through all my power dice.

Obviously, I'm relying heavily on my Magic Phase here, and a bad magic phase can spell disaster for certain parts of the army, but at its core, it is very resilient for elves, with high armour saves and a lot of debuffing opponents offensive capabilities, whilst also buffing my own defences.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give! :)

Kexys

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks like a pretty solid list to me. Not the style I tend to play with my own Dark Elves (which is mobile MSU), but you have two combat blocks (Corsairs and Cold Ones) backed up by decent ranged and magic support.

Personally I would see if you can do 2 units of 5 Cold Ones with the Master inside one of them. A 5 man knight block isn't as much of a deathstar, but the increased board control and presence should allow you to do multi-charges with the knight blocks and/or have a unit flank charge in combination with the Corsairs while the other block deals with other units.

My only real suggestion for a drastic change in the list might be to look at working a Bolt Thrower (or two) into the list to deal with potential tough targets. They also chew through skirmishing and screening units really well.

#3 ·
I have no idea what mobile MSU actually means tbh! Haha :) How about removing my Master, which frees up the points for a Bolt Thrower, whilst letting me split my COKs into the 2 blocks, and giving me a few more upgrade points to spare. I've included the Ruby Ring as lots of my opponents tend to favour Regen saves, so this is a cheap way of dealing with that, without resorting to a Fire Sorceress :)

Lord
Supreme Sorceress - Level 4, Dispel Scroll

Hero
Sorceress - Level 2, Ruby Ring of Ruin
Master - Halberd, Heavy Armour, Shield, SDC, BSB (Banner of The World Dragon – Stolen)

Core
Darkshard (10)
Darkshard (10)
Corsair (20) - SB, Captain, AHW, Banner of Eternal Flame

Special
Cold One Knight (5) - SB
Cold One Knight (5) - SB
Reaper Bolt Thrower

Rare
Doomfire Warlock (5)

#4 ·
MSU = Many Small Units
MMU = Many Medium Units
etc.

MSU is a style of play that uses small units to feign, draw out charges, and outmaneuver the opponent in order to pick off the opponent's chaff, warmachines, and using attrition to pick apart the enemy. It can be a difficult, but rewarding playstyle.

I like the look of the second list...give it some play and see how it works out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.