Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Kinslayer - full review

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Lord of the Night 
#1 ·
“We were married in Karak Kadrin by a priest of the Slayer cult. How did either of us think that was going to end well?” – Felix Jaeger.
Trusting David Guymer to write what is one of the signature epics of the Black Library production seemed a total failure to me, especially after what he did with the "City of the damned".

Well, you got it....:shok:
I was so fethingly wrong

The point is, I may say that "Kinslayer" is not only the best book in the whole series, but one of the best fantasy books ever read by your humble servant, and Emperor knows I've read some of that.

The first thing that comes to mind when enumerating the advantages of "Kinslayer" is its cinematography. You can almost visualize in your mind the camera hovering around the battlefields or closing up on the scarred faces of the dwarf slayers, the little gestures of the main characters as well as the mannerisms of the secondary ones.

The storytelling can be described as balanced - just when you are starting to get bored by the melodramatic dialogues and digressions, epic bloodletting happens, and vice versa.

The plot itself is a treat for any WH old world lover - almost everyone and everything you can imagine come to take part in the epic conclusion, intertwining in a way an old master weaves a Persian carpet. And yes, David Guymer has definitely been given a carte-blanche - all of the major G&F characters are all here for the action, not anyone being a stupid sidekick - as they previously used to be.

Also, it is quite a bonus to read the previuos novels, if you haven't, because some characters (quite prominent here) has been found where first.

I would rate 'Kinslayer' as 10 of 10, of course.

Rereadable - oh, yes.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Its pretty good and sets up for the grand finale of Gotrek's saga in part 2. I really want to see whats comming out of THAT fight implied in the very last line. Should be absolutely epic to face him of all creatures!

Especially now that Gotrek racks up yet another thought impossible kill in this book.

#6 ·
Absolutely loved Kinslayer;

LotN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.