Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Building towards 2,500

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Jace of Ultramar 
#1 ·
Hello,
This is a tentative list for a possible Empire army I'm looking to build. My LGS doesn't have any WHFB so I will play with friends at their homes, they're very competitive het fun players of Fantasy at the same time. After going over the Empire army book and various other things, I'm looking at the possibility of the following.

Lords
General w/ Great Weapon & Warhorse w/barding
Wizard Lord, Level 4, warhorse w/barding

Heroes
Captain w/Standard
Wizard, Level2

Core
Regiment: 30 Spearmen w/Sgt, Standard, Musician
Detachment: 10 Handgunners
Regiment: 30 Spearmen w/Sgt, Standard, Musician
Knightly Order x12
Knightly Order x12

Special
Great Cannon
Great Cannon
Great Cannon

There were some things added to the Knights, but, I cant remember what they were. All in all, it totaled to 2,202 points for this. I'm curious as to input on what upgrades I should take as well as magic items.

Thanks in advance for any C&C :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Overall it looks like a good start for Empire, you have a basic Empire gunline with Knight support.

Just some general observations:

Work at upgrading one of the knight blocks to an Inner Circle Unit, worth the extra points. Another thing to consider is breaking the knights into one ICK unit of 14 and two units of 5. This gives you two smaller chaff/diverter/warmachine hunting units and one big hammer unit.

Halberdiers are much better than Spearman on a point for point basis, S4 is better than the extra rank of fighting usually. Also I think with that number you would be better off combining them into one large block of 50ish, rather than two blocks of 30. I would also look at working a Warrior Priest into this block as well.

I personally prefer Crossbows over the Handgunners for immobile shooting blocks, the extra 6" range is better than the Armor Piercing in my opinion.

3 Cannons is probably overkill, maybe work one of them into a Hellblaster, this gives you some versatility against blocks of infantry and smaller chaff units.

Have you considered the Grandmaster over the General of the Empire? If you are going for mounted the GM is a much nastier fighter than the GoTE, otherwise you might be better off taking a mounted Arch Lector inside the Inner Circle, who is cheaper than the GM and still gets you the Ld 9.

What lores are you looking at for your wizards?

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input iamtheeviltwin, I was hoping it would be a good start.

I'm sorry I didn't include more of an explanation of why I set things up as such. After looking over things, those are pretty much 3 Battalion Boxes and a box of hand gunners, not to mention the General, Captain and Wizards I already have. I'm trying to minimize the overall cost of, well, everything.

I did the spear and hand gun units as a Pike & Shotte set up, remembering my military history classes and everything inspired that. Luring in an enemy with the spears and shooting when they're close enough with the gunners. Changing to Halberds wouldn't hurt, but, I think I may keep the handgunners for armour piercing purposes.

The knights can definitely be broken down into your recommendations, I like that idea very much :)

I'm not sure how or why the Cannons are overkill, but, I had considered a Helblaster regardless.

I hadn't considered a Grandmaster at all and I'm not sure which lores would best suit the wizards. A friend had recommended making the level 2 BW a scroll caddy though.

#4 ·
You always want to use the lower level wizard as your Dispel Scroll user. I prefer to use a low cost buffing (beasts) or damage (fire) lore on the second wizard. Your higher level wizard should be based around your flavor of main effect, I prefer Death, but Life, Shadow, and Heavens are all powerful. Light and Metal also can be very useful.

The only reason I thought 3 cannons was a bit of overkill, is that 2 is usually enough to handle most monsters/characters and the cannons don't do as much to massed infantry as the hellblaster or mortar.

#5 ·
Well, I guess with scroll caddy they meant for dispelling and so on. I'm not sure which lore to use yet, but, I've also not read through them yet to figure which one to take.

I'm guessing the 3 cannons may be overkill and I may not need the 3rd, but, I can always see if I can trade it off for a Helblaster.

#6 ·
Revised List; Tentative

Ok, after taking some time to rewrite and recalculate point totals I have arrived at the following list.

Lords
Battle Wizard Lord; Level 4, Warhorse w/Barding
Grand Master; Great Weapon

Heroes
Captain; Battle Standard
Battle Wizard; Level 2
Warrior Priest; Great Weapon

Core
Regiment: 30 Halberdiers w/Sgt, Standard, Musician
Regiment: 30 Halberdiers w/Sgt, Standard, Musician
Inner Circle Knights: 14, Preceptor, Musician, Standard
Knightly Order: 5, Preceptor, Musician, Standard
Knightly Order: 5, Preceptor, Musician, Standard

Special
Great Cannon
Great Cannon
Great Cannon

Ok, this puts things at 2,400 overall. Still not sure if the Knightly Orders need the addition of the Preceptors, Musicians, and Standards nor if the Warrior Priest needs the Great Weapon at all and if I need another one or not.

As always, C&C is welcome.

#7 · (Edited)
Hello!
Alright, after spending time last night and this morning going over the Empire book and WHFB rulebook, while watching Season 2 of Vikings (pure awesome), I've now arrived at a fully fleshed out 2,500 list for my Empire Army. Without further ado.

Lords
Battle Wizard Lord: Level 4, Talisman Of Preservation, Earthing Rod (Lore of Life)
Grand Master: Rune Fang, Opal Amulet

Heroes
Captain: Battle Standard Bearer, Standard Of Discipline
Battle Wizard: Level 1, Dispel Scroll (Lore of Light)
Warrior Priest: Armour Of Destiny

Core
R: Halberdiers: 50 men, Sgt, Musician, Standard
D: Handgunners: 15 men
D: Handgunners: 15 men
R: Archers: 10 men (Wizard Bunker)
R: Archers: 10 men (Wizard Bunker)
Inner Circle Knights: 14 men, Preceptor, Musician, Ragnar's Standard
Knightly Order: 5 men, Preceptor, Standard
Knightly Order: 5 men, Preceptor, Standard

Special
Great Cannon
Great Cannon

Alright, that's all of it. As always, C&C is welcome and I look forward to it.

#8 ·
Looks like a solid List Jace. It will be a good base to build from in the future also, if you want to start expanding into other units. Demigryphs, Steamtanks, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.