Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Death From the Skies and 40K February FAQ Updates

13K views 90 replies 21 participants last post by  Magpie_Oz 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated FAQs for some armies are out

Grab em here

Seems to be Fliers only updates and a cheap way to force people into buying that new fliers compendium.

Oh look, the Death From the Skies FAQ is out, before anyone has even received the book...
New record?

Death From the Skies FAQ

Here are ALL the updates from all the updated FAQs.
Rulebook Update:
Reference Section – Profile, Codex: Space Marines –
Vehicles, Stormtalon Gunship.
Change unit type to Vehicle (Flyer, Hover).

Q: Land Speeder Storms, Stormraven Gunships and
Stormtalon Gunships are all listed as Space Marine vehicles
in the Reference section. Does this mean that every Space
Marine Chapter now has access to these vehicles as well (i.e .
Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Grey Knights etc.)? (p411)
A: No – you may only select units and vehicles that are
available in the army list section of your codex. The two
exceptions are the Stormtalon and Stormraven Gunships,
which are only available to armies chosen from Codex:
Space Marines and Codex: Black Templars. The rules for these
Flyers can be found in the Death From the Skies
compendium.

Ork Update:
White Dwarf June 2012 (WD390)
Updated rules for the Ork Dakkajet, Burna-bommer and Blitzabommer
can be found in the Death From the Skies compendium.

Space Marines Update:
White Dwarf June 2012 (UK WD390)
Updated rules for the Stormtalon Gunship and Stormraven
Gunship can be found in the Death From the Skies compendium.

Blood Angels Update:
Page 38/94 – Stormraven Gunships, Skies of Blood.
Replace this rule with the following:
Skies of Fury: If the Stormraven has moved more than 6",
passengers can still disembark, but they must do so as follows:
Nominate any point over which the Stormraven moved that
turn and deploy the squad as if it were deep striking onto that
point. If the unit scatters, every disembarking model must
immediately take a Dangerous Terrain test. If any of the
models cannot be deployed, the entire unit is destroyed, as per
a Terrible Accident result on the Deep Strike Mishap table.
Models that disembark using the Skies of Fury special rule
cannot charge in the turn that they do so.

Page 38/94 – Stormraven Gunship, Special Rules.
Remove the Deep Strike special rule.

Q:What happens to an embarked Dreadnought that suffers an
Immobilised result from the hit when the Stormraven it is
embarked in Explodes? (p37)
A: The Immobilised Dreadnought is placed within 3" of the
large blast marker, as per the Crash and Burn rules.

Dark Eldar Update:
Page 46/93 – Razorwing Jetfighter, Special Rules.

Page 47/93 – Voidraven Bomber, Special Rules.

Grey Knights Update:
Page 37/93 – Stormraven Gunships, Special Rules.

Page 37/93 – Stormraven Gunships, Shadow Skies.
Replace this rule with the following:

Skies of Fury: If the Stormraven has moved more than 6",
passengers can still disembark, but they must do so as follows:
Nominate any point over which the Stormraven moved that
turn and deploy the squad as if it were deep striking onto that
point. If the unit scatters, every disembarking model must
immediately take a Dangerous Terrain test. If any of the
models cannot be deployed, the entire unit is destroyed, as per
a Terrible Accident result on the Deep Strike Mishap table.
Models that disembark using the Skies of Fury special rule
cannot charge in the turn that they do so.

Q:What happens to an embarked Dreadnought that suffers an
Immobilised result from the hit when the Stormraven it is
embarked in Explodes? (p37)
A: The Immobilised Dreadnought is placed within 3" of the
large blast marker, as per the Crash and Burn rules.

Imperial Guard Update:
Page 56/101 – Valkyrie Assault Carrier, Special Rules.
Remove the Deep Strike and Scout special rules.

Page 56/101 – Vendetta Gunship, Special Rules.
Remove the Deep Strike and Scout special rules.

Necrons Update:
Page 50/95 – Doom Scythe, Special Rules.

Page 51/91 – Night Scythe, Special Rules.

See less See more
#5 ·
The change to dreadnoughts not being removed outright from immobilized results after a Stormraven gets blown up is a pretty nice gesture. I guess it reflects that the immobilization could have occurred on landing as opposed to in the blast.

Ultimately, just an update to make you want to read the new Fliers book for sure. Oh, and let's not forget the ultimate change of the names of Shadow Skies and Skies of Blood to Skies of Fury. Shiver me tits.

#14 ·
The change to dreadnoughts not being removed outright from immobilized results after a Stormraven gets blown up is a pretty nice gesture. I guess it reflects that the immobilization could have occurred on landing as opposed to in the blast.
I just had a giggle thinking of a Dreadnought tumbling out of the sky, bouncing along the ground and landing in a heap, then getting up shakily and grumpily dusting himself off. "Never again... Sarcophagus smells like puke now..."

Vendettas without 'Scout' is a sad but necessary change. No more swooping in from the flank and penetrating a Predator on a 3+. I wonder if Death from the Skies changed up the points value.

#6 ·
Knew I should have posted here instead of General 40K. But it only applies to that game and I still beat you to it. Heehee. :victory:

#11 ·
Interceptors don't have any special abilities if they are Deep Striking so given their precise decent isn't part of the rule any more they don't get it any more.

#20 ·
I'm curious to know if there are any points changes, the Ork fliers are way too expensive for what they do whilst the IG ones are too cheap (perhaps even the Necron Nightscythe).

If there are no points changes and such then what's the point?

-But but you get the rules from WDs!

Which should have been a free pdf! You telling me I can buy this cool flier but can't use it in the game without buying this new book? A book that doesn't seem to be that supported by GW as it's in english only.

I fail to see the point of this book, a way to get the rules from the WDs is a really shitty argument. It's blatant moneygrubbing and an attempt to leech as much money as possible out of people.

How official is this thing really? English only means it's pretty much unsupported, so when exactly are you suppose to use it? When you wanna use the Ork Bomma and Skytalon (or whatever it's called)! Again the "I bought this awesome model but now I gotta buy a book just to be able to use it?" argument pops up in my head.
It makes an expensive model that's not that good even more expensive to buy.

I will take a look at the PDF once it pops up next week, unless there are points changes and wargear updates this thing is rather pointless imo. Even if there are, this thing just feels "unofficial". Like another supplement no one will ever play with because it deviates from normal gameplay and makes things "unbalanced".

It just feels like a scam to me...

I could of course be wrong and this thing is awesome...

A book that is "needed" if you want to use the Ork or SM flier yet it's only supported in English.

#21 ·
You telling me I can buy this cool flier but can't use it in the game without buying this new book?
Wouldn't that apply to pretty much any model used for 40k gaming ?

#26 ·
I believe this is just a compendium of past rules for mass consumption. Throw in some pretty pictures, print it hardcover & full colour and profit just like the "campaign book". GW will not change points costs for army X in a suppliment rulebook, that just isn't going to happen.

As far as I can tell the only thing worth checking out in this whole book is (a) how much does a BT or C:SM Stormraven cost? (b) what missiles do BT or C:SM Stormravens come with?

As I play DE & Chaos, neither of those questions are pressing enough for me to spend $40.

#27 ·
People seem to forget this is how 40k and fantasy for that matter used to work, they would put out interesting stuff and new rules for new units etc in WD for people to use in games and then when they had enough material they would do a compendium with the rules all in one place, granted this was 20 years ago and we didnt have the advantage of the internet to moan about it, but if like me you didnt pick up the WD with the rules in, or missed an issue or dont want to keep referring to a WD page, this book is a god send.
People criticise GW for not putting things in WD, then they criticise GW for putting things in WD, people criticise GW because the WD with new rules sell out,people criticise GW for producing a book with the sold out rules in.People Criticise GW for not communicating with fans, GW communicate with fans about there trade mark stance,GW get a shit load of abuse about it, GW are criticised because stores are full of kids using the boards and hogging painting tables,GW are criticised when they reverse that and become shops, People bitch about GW metal models being hard to build/paint/convert, they switch to resin and have a few teething issues and its like GW have started eating babies while doing Jimmy Saville impressions.

#34 ·
lol - the FW "FaceSpace" response

With Death from the Skies now on sale, and with thanks to numerous posts on our wall, consider this an official FAQ:

The rules don't overlap onto Imperial Armour Aeronautica. Any of our flyers that list Deep Strike among their special rules can still Deep Strike.
Stormravens cannot carry Contemptors.
Storm Eagles aren't available to Blood Angels. There's a price for refusing to reveal STC data.

Meanwhile, here's some nicely painted flyers...
are we certain that FW is related to GW...besides the game system? :gimmefive:

#39 ·
FAQ confirms that the regular version of the Storm Raven comes with "stormstrike missiles". As it's the only flier (from what I've read) that will be a new choice for other armies it's pretty much a mandatory addition as the Bloodstrike and Mindstrike are army specific wargear. Then again the Storm Raven was army specific as well until now, guess it didn't sell enough kits.

#42 ·
Difference here is that they force you to get it. Sure you can ignore it and simply not get it, but then you cant use the Ork Bommer and those SM fliers (unless you track down the WD or donwload the rules illegally).

Like I said before, the Bommer, Storm Raven and Storm Talon cost an extra £20 now with this book. They should add the rules for them to the FAQs, not force you to buy a compendium for a single model for your army. It's not even a full page of rules for the units, all 3 could fit on a single A4 page.

I will be getting this book later this week or next week at the latest because I have no other choice, but I'm not gonna pay for it.

#43 · (Edited)
They "force" you to buy any of the rulebooks/Codicies. Just be thankfull they don't simply reprint each Codex with the new rule in it and you only have to pay $AU48 to get the update for all armies rather than $AU83 for a new Codex.

Don't worry mate, I'll pay to keep your hobby going you just steal what ever you want.

#46 ·
Anything you get without paying would be stealing but of course if a group of you are chipping in to buy a copy that's fine by me.

Scoze can bite my bum tho'

#48 · (Edited)
I will be downloading the pdf as well. I have every book GW and FW has ever put out on pdf, we also have every book at the local club but in my 4 years of gaming I have NEVER seen anyone use any of the rules from any of the books. I hate reading the paper rule books, I prefer to scroll through the pdfs as it's faster and you have the search function etc.
I've never even opened my Dark Eldar codex, it's been in the shelf since the DE came out. Got the pdf 7 days before release, read it and use it for all my needs.
The only thing I use the books for is when I play and I can't remember a rule or what a specific piece of wargear does.

I guess Battlemissions would be an exception, we tried that 3 Baneblade mission once and never opened the book after that.

#50 ·
What is about all these guys who think they deserve a free ride?

Privateer Press "doing the right thing" is simply because they don't have the facilities to cover the costs of producing a properly printed series of books. It's any easy way to buy into the market that GW sustains.

#53 ·
And yet they do. You can buy every single pdf they have of the rules in a couple of nice hard bound books. However, they also give you the rules for free, either online or with the models, since their money comes from the models, not the rules, and it's a way better way to get people into the hobby as it keeps initial costs down so it's easier to get started.

I don't have a source on it, so this is given with a grain of salt, but supposedly WarMachine is actually outselling Warhammer. 40k is still the giant, and will be for quite some time I imagine, but it's not like Privateer Press is some small time fry pecking at GW's tail end. They seem to developed quite a following and profits as a result.

#56 ·
Wow it sold out quickly! seriously under estimated the demand me thinks, must have played it safe thinking that people wouldnt pick it up if they had bought the WD's, Just shows that even under these circumstances, direct only,english only, previously released,more than one army in the book and not all armies represented, GW can shift stock, nice little cheeky boost in Febuarys sales figures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.