Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1k and 1.5k+ Imperial Fists (SoT)

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Nipolian 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I'm looking for some advice in regards to list building as I'm starting a new force but haven't played since 7th edition came out. I don't have my C:SM to hand having moved recently and not received all my toys. I do however know some basics I do want and I'm looking for advice as to what support I should look for to finish the list.

Lvl 2 Libby, Bones of Osrak

X Sternguard, Combi-meltas in pod

10 Tacticals w/ Power fist in pod

X Centurion dev's - Las/ML
X Centurion dev's - Las/ML

Stormtalon
Stormtalon

Not sure on my points right now until I pick up my codex next week but I'm planning a pod list of sorts with long ranged heavys to open things up for the short range bolter drill of the sentinels supplement.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Always nice to see a fellow IF player. I would go ahead and scrap the powerfists on the tactical squads. I've never really seen a need for them. Kit the sergeants out with Combi weapons to give them that extra edge if you are looking for one. HW wise id stick with either Missle or Heavy Bolter for the Tacticals. mix in Plasma, Grav, Melta, or Flame weapons in the squad and your tactical marines can handle just about anything that comes at them.

For my HQ i tend to usually run an chapter master ind not a librarian. simply because of the orbital bombardment.

I wouldnt bother with 2 squads of centurions. 1 at most. get some armor instead 2 Dakka Preds for the same price as a Centurion Squad and you can give them las Weapons on the turret and leave the HB sponsons.

Storm talons i'm not entirely sure you need tbh. they are relatively fragile as flyers go and with 2 HP i've found that they can get glanced down in one turn by bolter fire. thats said they can make a heck of a difference if youve got to take out some armor or troops from a ways out.

#3 ·
Welcome to 7th edition.
I would make a couple changes to your list:
- As mentioned by SwedeMarine drop the power fists (I would consider taking melta-bombs though)
-What do you plan on your tac marines doing? I think they could be more useful in drop pods w/ meltas and combi-meltas.
- The only type of centurions I would take are grav-centurions spending 90pts on a TL lascannon and a missile shot is just too much. You can double your shot output if you take a standard dev squad. Also i would drop the Missile on them.
-Stormtalons are good but what do you plan on equipping them with?
-Also what are your plans for the librarian?

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess some of my picks have been made with a degree of either habbit or driven from a want of actually wanting to paint the model.

How do dreads fare in 7th? I've used a tripple autocannon dreds in my GK lists to good success but they obviously can have the extra point of strength. I'm not anti-preditors but from a modeling and painting standpoint dreds are much more fun to pain than a tank. Also are short ranged dreads in pods viable or just too slow after they arrive?

My idea for the tac squads were cheap 10 bolter squads with the power fist stuck in as an old habbit from playing templars. Either to drop on objectives or right in infantrys faces and gun them down.

#5 ·
How do dreads fare in 7th? I've used a tripple autocannon dreds in my GK lists to good success but they obviously can have the extra point of strength. I'm not anti-preditors but from a modeling and painting standpoint dreds are much more fun to pain than a tank. Also are short ranged dreads in pods viable or just too slow after they arrive?
Not so good. They got a little better than in 6th but they are still to easy to kill in my opinion. I wouldn't say they are unplayable in a friendly setting but i wouldn't be taking them to tournaments. The exception to this is Space Wolves because they can take Storm Shields. So allying Space Wolves is an option.

My idea for the tac squads were cheap 10 bolter squads with the power fist stuck in as an old habbit from playing templars. Either to drop on objectives or right in infantrys faces and gun them down.
Ok so then i stand by my advise of meta, combi-melta (Knights are a pain) but also maybe a heavy bolter.

The list you posted is over the 1500pt mark by 210pts but in 7th edition the average game size is 1850pts so if your are playing that you still have room.

For 1850pts:

HQ:
Libby - ML2, Bones

Elite:
Legion of the damned - Melta, Multi-melta, Combi-Melta
Legion of the damned - Melta, Multi-melta, Combi-Melta

Troop:
Tac Squad (10 man) - Melta, Multi-Melta, Melta Bombs, Heavy Bolter, Drop Pod

Fast Attack:
Stormtalon - typhoon ML
Stormtalon - Skyhammer ML

Heavy Support:
Dev Cents - Grav, Hurricane boltors
Dev Squad - 4x lascannons
Dev Squad - 4x lascannons

Libby goes for Invis and runs with the Grav Cents. Tac Squad drop next to objectives and combat squad (3 objective secured units) Dev squads sit in back field and enjoy tank hunter on their lascannons. Legion of the damned come in and take care of Knights or any thing else big and scary.

#6 ·
What about this for a pod assault focused list - still 1500 points for now.

Pedro Kantor

5 Sternguard - 2 Multi-melta, 3 combi-melta w/pod
5 Sternguard - 2 Heavy Flamer, 3 combi flamer, melta bomb w/pod

10 Tactical - Melta, combi-melta, melta bombs w/pod

Devastators - 4 Lascannon
Devastators - 4 Lascannon

#7 ·
So your short 25pts. If you still don't have the dex you could download BattleScibe (its a list editor that's really useful)

On to your list though

Pedro Kantor - He's pretty good not my first choice but he gets the job done

Sternguard - Dont take multi-melta's on units with drop pods they count as moving when they get out so they wont be able to shoot. And will probably be killed next turn. Drop them down to meltaguns. (this is why i like Legion of the Damned they are relentless so they can fire Multi-meltas the turn they deepstrike, they have ignores cover which is awesome (especially nice against eldar), and they have a 3++ so they will stick around)

Tac squads - I would think about adding heavy bolters (you have enough spare points for 2). Its cheap and its more bolter shots to be twin linked.

You have no anti-air. This can prove problematic depending on your opponent. If you exchange the two Sternguard squads for Legion of the damned (one with melta and one with flamers) and use your left over points you can take a stormtalon with Skyhammer ML.

Everything else seems good.

#8 ·
So after advice I've decided to take a step back and build something up from a solid 1k list. Going to aim for a nice solid core that I can add to or adjust to vary the force.

So we now have...

Level 2 Libby: The Bones of Osrak - 115pts

10 Tacticals: Melta, Combi-melta, Rhino - 195pts

5 Devastators: 4 Lascannon - 150pts
5 Devastators: 4 Lascannon - 150pts

#10 ·
So here's where i'm currently at with my 1.5k thinking.

Libby, level 2, bones 115pts

10x legion of the damned, melta, combi-melta, multi-melta 280pts

10x tacticals, melta, combi-melta, melta bombs, Dpod 200pts
5 Scouts, bolters, Land speeder storm, Heavy flamer 105pts

5 Devs, 4 Lascannons 150pts
Thunderfire cannon

I've never been one to play with lots of standard troops before but it looks to be quite nice to drown people in marine bodies.

#11 ·
Hey Steaknchips,

Looks nice, glad you are having fun with the pods. Some minor suggestions. Split the legion of the damned up into two squads and drop the scouts and take a land speeder w/ Typhoon ML.

Your list will look like this:

HQ:
Libby, level 2, bones 115pts

Elite
Legion of the damned - melta, combi-melta, multi-melta 155pts
Legion of the damned - melta, combi-melta, multi-melta 155pts

Troops:
10x tacticals, melta, combi-melta, melta bombs, pod 200pts

Fast Attack:
Land Speeder - Typhoon ML 75pts

Heavy Support:
Thunderfire cannon

Let me know how it goes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.