Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Choral City

[Recruitment] 
24K views 200 replies 23 participants last post by  Defenestration47 
#1 · (Edited)
Recruitment Thread

The Choral City​

The centerpiece of a world in rebellion against the Imperium, the infamous, Isstvan III.

Four legions were sent to crush the resistance, to overkill it, and set an example so harsh that the entire Imperium, stretched across the galaxy as it was, would learn the lesson clear.

It instead made something else perfectly clear, the ultimate betrayal.

Brothers in arms who had fought in the Great Crusade together, a military and colonization endeavour that spanned centuries, who had bled together, for each other, saved each other countless times, the Traitors...literally stabbed their brothers in their unsuspecting spines and throats, after sending the rest to their doom on the surface of the planet.

There was not a single part of Horus’s plan that included betraying and killing their brothers face to face, or with honor….until it was forced upon them.

Phase One of Horus Lupercal’s grand scheme flowed beautifully. Phase Two however, was nothing short of disastrous.

The virus bombing of Isstvan III had ultimately done nothing more than slaughter billions of bystanders and turned the Choral City into a hellish warzone of rubble, ash, and storm which massively advantaged the defender, vexing the attacking Traitors in turn. Overconfidence on part of the Emperor’s Children, and Angron and his World Eaters going into an uncontrollable and untrackable rampage on foot throughout the City streets made the situation even worse for Horus and his forces. Further still, knowledge of the Traitors’ arsenal, technology, and tactics was yet another factor favoring the surviving loyalists.

The storms, this knowledge, everything, denied the Traitor forces any real advantage in having air superiority. Scouting vessels were easily shot down, reinforcements could only manage to arrive in small waves rather than mass quantities. The Loyalists exact locations could hardly be traced, as sensors were all but useless in the environment given, and the endless ruins and subterranean passageways made their movements entirely unpredictable aside from a mere handful of locations such as the Precentor’s Palace and Siren Hold. Even there, exact Marine locations were a guess, always rearranging, and expertly defending these areas.

We will be taking a closer look at the streets of the Choral City. Closer than you might think, as we will be looking at these rubble strewn streets, fallen towers, and underground tunnels through the eyes of a small band of Astartes, loyal to Terra and the Emperor, who have just survived the battle against the rebellious forces, the virus-bombing, and subsequent firestorm. Who have just learned that their own Primarchs had tried to kill them. We will follow them in their journey through the city ruins, the struggles they face and fights they endure, and see what comes of them at the end of it all. Whether they survive and become some of the lucky few who found a means of escape and back into the void, or if they become part of an organized, large numbered last stand, or if they simply kill as many traitors as they can until their own death claims them. We will follow these Space Marines, through their own, personal point of views.

YOUR CHARACTER:

You will be taking control of one of these loyal Space Marines, who were sent down in the first wave of the Isstvan III assault. Your Marine can be from any of the four Legions involved, those being the Sons of Horus, the Emperor’s Children, World Eaters, and the Death Guard.

Your Marine can be Terran born or raised from the Legion’s respective homeworld. Please indicate this in the background information.

They can be one of the following ranks (following 30k legion disposition):
  • Legionary
  • Sergeant
  • Lieutenant (commands three squads)
  • Company Standard Bearer
  • Company Captain (Commands three lieutenants)

Rank will likely mean less than you might think, in terms of power over other players.

If you are a Legionary or Sergeant, you may be one of the following:

• Tactical Marine
  • Assault Marine
  • Devastator

Your Marine’s armor can be any variation of MKII MKIII and MKIV. Details on armor markings, decorations, trinkets, trophies and the like is encouraged.

For weaponry I will leave this up to you. If something is too much or needs changing I will inform you of it. Please stick to what would be believable/accurate, fluff-wise.

Please submit the information in the following sheet format:

• Name
  • Legion
    • Rank
  • Personality
  • Background, (Please include some crusade history, legion history, why they may have been chosen for the first wave and cast out by their primarchs and brothers.)

For all of these categories, if I feel there is not enough variation, I will ask for some changes. e.g. everyone is from the same legion or everyone is a devastator marine

Rules:

God Modding - Please follow my updates accordingly. Do not decide there are NPCs around that I have not introduced, Do not take control of other players' characters or the characters I create unless permission is given otherwise. Your character is not invincible.

Game Master - I am here to keep cohesion, narrate, and keep everything centered around a single focal point. Please follow what I say and ask for the sake of everyone involved.

Post Rate - Please be able to post on a regular basis, and inform me if you no longer can. Please be considerate of the time and effort that the other people involved are putting into this. The whole point of an RPthread is that it is a group project.

Post Length - A couple of paragraphs, at least. However, keep in mind that it is possible for RPthread posts to be too long sometimes. If each post of yours is a book, others might find it hard to read in detail.

Post Quality - I always suggest reading back a post you have typed up before submitting it, and if you can, to do so out loud. This is the best way to see if your words and sentences make sense and to pick up on any typos.

I decide character acceptance based on what is submitted, rather than first come first serve. I am looking for about 4-8 players.

CURRENT PLAYERS:

Representing the XVI Legion on the surface of Isstvan III will be:

Decius Vultus, 2nd Company Standard Bearer - Played By Lord Ramo

Akkad Krateron, 7th Company Legionary - Played by Dark Angel

Representing the XII Legion:

Marcus Tharr, Tactical Sergeant - Played by DariusO

Kyros Straesen, Assault Sergeant - Played by Krymson86

Kazimir Rostislav, Assault Legionary - Played by Euphrati

Representing the III Legion:

Tiberius Loculus, 10th Company Decurion - Played by Deus Mortis

Sebastian Aurellian, Fellow 10th Company Decurion - Played by Asamodai

Darius Gratus, 10th Company Legionary - Played by Nacho Libre

And representing the XIV Legion:

Alaros Gilgumann, Devastator Marine - Played by Angel of Lies

See less See more
#145 ·
Maybe Tiberius and Sebastian can go prancing through the flowers, hand in hand, when this all blows over.

Until then, Krateron will do the hardwork. Can't let you ladies go breaking your nails. :grin:

#154 ·
Apologies for the lateness of my update. Just had a frantic week. Still it's up now so others who want to follow it can post.

Also, yes it is short. That's because the other half will come once a few other voices have chimed in.

#157 ·
Got two twelve hour shifts today and tomorrow, and worked all week, so I doubt I will the time to post again.

#159 ·
I assumed there would be more kick-back from Special K, and Tiberius may respond to that, but other than that Mr T has said all he wants to.

On the other hand, he probably won't respond. At this point Tiberius thinks he's chosen the best option of a bad bunch and moving is his priority. If Krateron objects that violently, he will probably just be like "God speed you mad bastard!" And leave him to his own devices.

#160 ·
Krateron won't respond with violence - Nor will he object further. He's lost out on this one, and isn't quite ready to run off by himself, yet. If you do want to sort some back and forth out, Deus, feel free to send me a pm and we will jot something down.

#162 · (Edited)
I just....*exhales*....I dunno.

It takes me hours to plan and write an update, and everyone's been too busy or lost interest. It's hard for me to justify taking the time out of my day to make the post not knowing if even four people will reply over the course of a month; as I much as I enjoy writing for my RPs.

I brought all the players back together and there was hardly any interaction, and a couple people only had time to write a few lines after weeks of waiting. It was disheartening, and after being on these forums for six years, it feels more dead than ever. I know some of you have put a lot of thought and time into your characters, so I'm honestly not sure what to do. It's definitely unlike me to not be in contact with my players for this long.

#163 ·
I mean the role play threads do seem in a state of disarray and I'm not sure what got them here. I figured you had some real life time constraint that was keeping you back and so I just assumed an update would appear at some point and we'd pick up like we never left. Perhaps I should have communicated a sustained interest at least...

Totally understand the disheartened feeling though and I don't blame you at all for feeling this way. All I know is that I was still enjoying this RP and if you were happy to invest the time, I would do the best if could to give you the same amount of effort back. But if the four or so of us who I imagine still want this isn't enough for you to put the time in (please don't read that passive aggressively. It's not meant in that tone) then it was fun while it lasted at least.

In general though, the RPs need to find some way to get back up off their feet. I don't know what happened to them...

#164 ·
I think it's the forums in general, I think it's 40k in general.

DA and I were talking about a thread that came up in the BL section about even their site's lack of traffic and content lately too.

My local hobby store used to see a lot of 40k players, now...virtually none. How many RPs have even gone up in the last year, five or so? It used to be maybe 5 every two weeks. Crazy.

It got too expensive for me years ago, but I still love the lore so much I have wanted to keep reading and writing it. It takes significant time though to write something worthwhile. It's not something that comes naturally to everyone, for sure. And believe me I know, it's WAY easier to come home after work or school and watch something rather than make something.

#165 · (Edited)
I don't know about that.

Dakka dakka and Bolter and Chainsword are still VERY active. Usually with a couple hundred members online at any one time. And posting more often. Unfortunately, I think this place got quiet when the hack happened. Plus idk how many new things there are.

Anyways, if you decide to start an RP again, or do this one, I am down. You can count me in to be posting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.