Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Fluff-based KDK

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Xabre 
#1 ·
So for those who were following along in the CSM list, a friend of mine is trying to get into the game. He decided to start with KDK. The first list was decent, mostly just a mix of Marines and Demons to get him going. But he's already considering something more flufftacular. We'd like some opinions on performance, as well as cool-factor... though admittedly, cool-factor is top priority.

Blood Cult Detachment

Slaughtercult

Chaos Lord - Axe of Khorne, Bolt Pistol, Juggernaut, Sigil of Corruption, Skull-helm of Khorne

Possessed x8

Bloodletters x8

Bloodletters x8

Lords of Slaughter

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage

Charnel Cohort

Blood Throne - Exalted Locus of Wrath

Bloodcrushers x4

Bloodcrushers x4

Bloodletters x8

Bloodletters x8

Flesh Hounds x8 (in unit with the Lord, I think)

War Engine(s)

Soul Grinder - Phlegm Bombard

Soul Grinder - Phlegm Bombard

1998/2000

He wanted JUST demons, this time, aside from his Khornate Lord, aspiring for Thirster'hood.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bloodcrushers are too easy to instagib, as I see it. I'd take the one unit necessary for the Cohort, then fill up on Flesh Hounds with all the points you save. Also: do tell how the Blood Throne works out, since I've only ever played with the model as a Skull Cannon. Melee chariots just fail to impress me, since in 7e, the attacker chooses whether they want to attack the Chariot or the rider... and the rider has 2 T4 wounds.

#3 ·
This seems to be the largest weakness in KDK: demons have low toughness. I've tried to convince my friend to run bikes around his Juggerlord, but Fluff.

What would you use to bodyguard him? The one squad of Crushers, just as bubblewrap? Then I add 8 more hounds and spend some points on Icons or Instruments.

#4 · (Edited)
It's a main weakness, yeah. Other main weaknesses: lack of AA, lack of AT, lack of AP2, lack of psychic powers (& denial dice). Do what you can to compensate for those, I suppose, and use the Blood Tithe points system to compensate for the rest.

The Hounds are fine, even if they lower his average Toughness. They keep up with him, and he adds some much-needed AP2 to the unit. I generally go fisticlaws on my Juggerlords so I can hurt big Wraithknightnasties, but if you want the AP2 at Initiative, I'd probably also give your Lord meltabombs.

#5 ·
So I finally convinced him to take some bikes! Yay!

new list version:

Lords of Slaughter:

Bloodthirster with the Big Axe that I'm too lazy too look up right now.

Slaughtercult

Lord - Juggernaught, Sigil of Corruption, Axe of Khorne, Skull-Helm of Khorne

Bloodletters x8

Bloodletters x8

Bloodletters x8

Bloodletters x8

Possessed x8

Gorepack

Chaos Bikers - 3+1, 2 plasma guns, Chainaxe/BP

Chaos Bikers - 3+1, 2 melta guns, Chainaxe/BP

Chaos Bikers - 3+1, 2 melta guns, Chainaxe/BP

1999/2000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.