Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Khornate Spellbreaker

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  venomlust 
#1 · (Edited)
This is something I came up with after a discussion at B&C, incorporating someone else's ideas with my own.

There was talk of how a Khornate Sorcerer would work, and that they do exist, blah blah blah. I think something like this would be a much more appopriate "anti-psyker" than a filthy filthy witch serving the blood god:

A Khornate Spellbreaker may be taken as an HQ choice in a Khorne Daemonkin army, and may fill the HQ requirement of any formation found in Codex: Khorne Daemonkin.

Khornate Spellbreaker: 135 points
WS5 BS4 S4 T4 I4 W2 A3 Ld9 Sv3+

Wargear:
Power Armor
Bolt Pistol
Frag Grenades
Krak Grenades
Mark of Khorne
Bloodrune Collar
Witcheater Blade

Bloodrune Collar: +2 to Deny the Witch Rolls, +1 warp charge to the controlling player's warp charge pool for Deny the Witch attempts made by the Spellbreaker
Witcheater Blade: Range - S: User AP: 3 Type: Melee, Rending, Witcheater
Witcheater: To-wound rolls of 5+ against an enemy with the Psyker special rule cause Instant Death.

Special Rules:
Independent Character (Infantry)
Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!
Fearless
Preferred Enemy (Psykers)
Rancorous Aura
"Try it, witch"

Rancorous Aura: The Khornate Spellbreaker may attempt to Deny the Witch with full modification from the Bloodrune Collar (and Adamantium Will, if generated from the Blood Tithe table or the Brazen Rune artefact) for any and all enemy psychic powers manifested within 18". In addition, the Spellbreaker's controlling player receives double the d6 roll for warp charges generated during the opponent's psychic phase. A Spellbreaker may never join a unit that contains a model with the Psyker Special Rule.

"Try it, witch": Any psychic power successfully cast on the Spellbreaker or his unit automatically causes the psyker who manifested the power to immediately roll on the Perils of the Warp table, re-rolling all Warp Surge results. Friendly psykers who attempt to manifest powers within 18" of the Spellbreaker must roll a 5+ instead of 4+ to utilize warp charges.

Options:
May take items from the Special Issue Wargear, Gifts of Khorne, Melee Weapons, and/or Artefacts of Slaughter lists.
The Khornate Spellbreaker may replace his Power Armor, grenades, and Bolt Pistol with Terminator Armor and a Combi-bolter for 25 points.

See less See more
#4 ·
I like it!

This reminds me of Khorne in fantasy several additions ago, when a Khornate army got dispel dice without wizards.

#6 ·
when a Khornate army got dispel dice without wizards.
See, that's what I want. Even with collars of Khorne and the like, we only get D6 dice--I want banners that give +1 dispel die, or a way to bank out warp charge during the psychic phase to use them for denial during our opponent's turn...

#8 · (Edited)
Updated him, just because (Bloodrune Collar wargear & "Try it, witch" special rule, and option to purchase upgrades from Melee Weapons list, HQ type added, can't join Psykers rule added):

A Khornate Spellbreaker may be taken as an HQ choice in a Khorne Daemonkin army, and may fill the HQ requirement of any formation found in Codex: Khorne Daemonkin.

Khornate Spellbreaker: 115 points
WS5 BS4 S4 T4 I4 W2 A3 Ld9 Sv3+

Wargear:
Power Armor
Bolt Pistol
Frag Grenades
Krak Grenades
Mark of Khorne
Bloodrune Collar
Witcheater Blade

Bloodrune Collar: +2 to Deny the Witch Rolls, +2 dice to the controlling player's warp charge pool for Deny the Witch attempts
Witcheater Blade: Range - S: User AP: 3 Type: Melee, Rending, Witcheater
Witcheater: Unsaved wounds dealt to an enemy with the Psyker special rule cause Instant Death.

Special Rules:
Independent Character (Infantry)
Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!
Fearless
Adamantium Will
Preferred Enemy (Psykers)
Rancorous Aura
"Try it, witch"

Rancorous Aura: The Khornate Spellbreaker may attempt to Deny the Witch with full modification from Adamantium Will and the Collar of Khorne for any and all enemy psychic powers manifested within 24". In addition, the Spellbreaker's controlling player receives double the d6 roll for warp charges generated during the opponent's psychic phase. A Spellbreaker may never join a unit that contains a model with the Psyker Special Rule.

"Try it, witch": Any psychic power successfully cast on the Spellbreaker or his unit automatically causes the psyker who manifested the power to immediately roll on the Perils of the Warp table, re-rolling all Warp Surge results. Friendly psykers who attempt to manifest powers within 24" of the Spellbreaker must roll a 5+ instead of 4+ to utilize warp charges.

Options:
May take items from the Special Issue Wargear, Gifts of Khorne, Melee Weapons, and/or Artefacts of Slaughter lists.
The Khornate Spellbreaker may replace his Power Armor, grenades, and Bolt Pistol with Terminator Armor and a Combi-bolter for 25 points.

#9 · (Edited)
So you get D6x2+2 Warp Charge, denying all Psychic Powers including Blessings and Conjurations within 24" (basically the whole board, since a 48" bubble is kind of massive) on a 3+? And this on a Centurion-level character with a Rending Power Sword that instant deaths Psykers (which hilariously includes all Synapse Creatures and most Greater Daemons), granting his unit Preferred Enemy against any unit containing a Psyker, for 115pts.

Too good.

I'd make him 20-30pts pricier (he's still only T4 3+ W2 with no Invuln, he can't be that expensive) if you want to keep him as a generalist, or take away the fancy sword for a generic Close Combat Weapon with Witcheater to keep him cheap (as befits someone who'll be useless against quite a few armies) plus the removal of Adamantium Will. You have to pay the Blood Tithe to get that.

#11 · (Edited)
I think making it more expensive by a few points is fine, but in comparison to the Culexus at 140 points I definitely don't think this unit is too powerful. Perhaps they both are, if that's the case. Maybe a 1 per army rule would be appropriate, too. The 24" bubble is very powerful, but not as good as a 12" bubble of no psychic powers whatsoever IMO.

#12 ·
but that why that model is ur not going to get a any powers off hes stopping any power charge within 24" with his 2x d6 + 2 stopping with +3 when they harness on a 5+ your not getting any powers off
far too strong even with a small point increase
and yes u say hes only t4 2w but u can just hide him in a unit u cant do that with an assasin

and and also a perils on any1 that touchs him with a power just WAY to strong

#13 · (Edited)
Hmm, well, I'll think about this and see what I come up with.

He's a dedicated anti-psyker, a hard counter if you will, so he's designed to be very powerful against them. But he should cost more points, you make a good argument for that. However, the 5+ to harness is only for friendly psykers.

What would a balanced version of this unit be, in your eyes?

#14 · (Edited)
I changed the following:

1) Raised points cost to 135
2) Removed Adamantium Will
3) Reduced Rancorous Aura to 18"
4) Reduced "Try it, witch" to 18"
5) Changed the Witcheater effect to only cause Instant Death to Psykers on a 5+ wound roll
6) Reduced the amount of extra warp charges from the Bloodrune Collar from 2 to 1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.