Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

AOS: This whole Fateweaver/Screaming Bell thing...

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  R_Squared 
#1 ·
I guess most people will understand what I am on about from the title, but for those who don't know, it basically goes something like this:-

Your army comprises of two models:
- Kairos Fateweaver
- Screaming Bell

On your first turn in the Hero phase you toll the Screaming Bell, rolling two dice. Whatever you roll, it doesn't matter as Kairos will change the roll to 13. Granting you an Improbable Victory.

Or does it...

Lets take a look at the rules in question:-

Screaming Bell rule:
13 Improbable Victory!:
Against all probability and reason, you immediately win the battle (and are hereafter branded a cheat – not that that should bother a true skaven general).

So, it would seem the 13 grants you the win, there is no denying this part of the scam.

Kairos Fateweaver rule:
Oracle of Eternity: Once per game, you can change the result of a single dice roll to the result of your choosing.

Now this is more of a gray area. Does the single dice roll mean one single dice or multiple dice? In modern standard English dice is both the singular and the plural. If it does mean multiple dice, can you even change it to 13? The max you will ever get in 2D6 is 12. People suggest that “the result of your choosing” could be anything and in some cases not even a dice roll. For example you could change the result to 42, turquoise or even “Royale with cheese”. I suppose this could be argued either way. The wording of the rules here are a bit vague.

So that leaves us with the part of the Screaming Bell rules that describes the Peal of Doom:-

Screaming Bell rule:
Peal of Doom: In your hero phase, the Screaming Bell tolls. Roll two dice, add the scores together and consult the table below to see what happens (no modifiers can be applied to this roll). If a result says that it effects units ‘within range of the Peal of Doom’, consult the Damage Table above to see the current range of that effect.

I think most of the Interwebz missed the “no modifiers can be applied to this roll” part and got a bit carried away with it all. What you roll on the 2D6 stands and can't be modified. I think the 13 thing is just Games Workshop showing that they do have a sense of humour.

So, in conclusion I think there is no denying it, this little “FateRinger” trick simply does not work, rules as written. Although I noticed on one forum somebody was claiming that the roll was being “changed” not “modified”... This person deserves a slap with a dictionary.

Anyway, what do you all think? How would you interpret the rules?

See less See more
#2 ·
The Golden Rule is that if you aren't immediately certain you can do what you like if all players agree, so I would interpret the Insta-Win as not applying. My opponent can disagree, but until we reach agreement the answer to whether it applies or not would be in limbo.

More seriously, I would interpret the combination as the first step in finding a fun opponent: if they did the loser dance (ambiguity intended), then I would find a new opponent; if they chuckled, then pulled out their real army, I would start polishing my banter.

#3 ·
We were discussing a similar thing just yesterday and the main thrust was, what's the point? What exactly is someone trying to prove by doing this? It just makes whoever does it look like a penis, and the same goes for the burrowing worms "trick" too.
Ultimately it proves nothing, the same as the old 10 bloodthirsters argument. Fine bring 10 bloodthirsters , I'm sure people will fall over themselves to play an irritating twat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.