Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

New to GM

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MagpieKnight 
#1 ·
So, I've had a lot of ideas for games like only war and dark heresy but I also want to do a deathwatch game. This is my first time being the gm and I know one player is very into role play while the other wants to be the biggest and baddest guy he can be. The general game idea is that there is a traitor(s) in the Deathwatch and the pcs are thought to be them. This will turn into a quest to set things right while fleeing from their fellow marines, and battling the followers of tzeench. So aside from a general, I want this plot and startup, I don't know much.

I'm open to any advice on running the game, as well as satisfying both types of players.

#2 ·
The only advice I can give on how to satisfy both players is to make challenges that fit both of their play styles. This should make a really well rounded game experience. Rooting out heretics and defending yourself from accusations should provide plenty of great roleplaying opportunities, and chances to use those social abilities. And then balance it with hardcore action scenes worthy of any astartes so your other player can flex nuts and feel like a badass.
Is this an online game (Roll20 etc.) or is it in person? It may be easier to balance those two elements in face to face games because there's less distractions. If it's a play by post game it would be even harder as those take a lot longer to transition from one scene to the next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.