Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Arming and dressing of Ork Boys

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Grognik 
#1 ·
Have recently got back into 40k with the moving to a new city l, and new club the orks have returned but with the update to 7th, i have been given more questions of how a list may function the best. This primarily revolves around the mainstay of any ork lists its boys.

So primarily i run a mechanised Battlewagon kist with boys mobs of 18 or 19 members and a nob with power klaw, shoota and bosspole. The first question is the nob even worth it anymore at 46 points? With the newer mob rules and nerfs to bosspole does he help anymore?

The second question is that of the loadout of the boys themselves? Do the shootas still rein supreme? With the higher average damage output but now a marginly higher cost do they still function as needed? Or does the costs outweighed their effectiveness?

The third question for today is the armour the boys wear? With the alteration to any squad can have Eavy armour is it worth the points does it help enough, my main thought is it will require testing but wil l probably help the survivability in the smaller squad sizes as it always used to for the trukk boys or warboss/boys squads.

Thanks for your time.

See less See more
#2 ·
G'day Mate, which city have you moved to? I sold my orks off to a good home last year, but have played a few games against them since.

The Shoota remains a pretty strong option, especially with the ability to afford cover with KFF and Morkanaughts. Melee is definitely my (as a guard player) worst enemy and the choppa boys are still good for getting in and overwhelming super elite troops like grey knights with mass attacks. The new mob rule works alright so long as you want to take the 6+ mobs in numbers of over 20 so that they survive some attrition in time to get stuck in.

The 4+ armour is interesting, I think that it works best when you are playing a speed freak type army that relies on a number of smaller units getting stuck in quickly, protected by flat out trucks and wagons and with agile bikes and deffkoptas in support. If you try to green tide with 'eavy armour, I think you'll find that the points advantage is so reduced as to leave you high and dry before you've got the key things done - i.e 1. Dakka, and 2. Choppin'

Hope that's some food for thought!

Bikers also continue their reign of terror

#3 ·
Basically a nob with bosspole and either big choppa or pk is a must take for any mob. Without, your boyz will be running in no time. A PK nob can also take on virtually anything using the boyz to screen him until he hits.
Shootas can be very effective in big mobs, 18" range at assault 2 matches a similar size marine squad at that range. They dont get to rapid fire until 12. Plus if you are assaulted it is handy in overwatch.
However slugga choppa is very useful indeed. 3 attacks basic, 4x str4 on the charge makes most meq and elite literally sh1t themselves. You are likely to chew through most units.
Eavy armour is ok, I used it recently and against most stuff you get a save, combined with a painboy a unit of 30 eavy armour boyz with shootas is a formidable (if expensive) blob. They won't be shifted easily, will tank tons of punishment and will kill most things on the table.

#4 ·
Welcome back to da boyz,

The nob with the pk and boss pole is still a good take or the boyz run away really fast. That may not be bad if you running MSU list but anything over 10 you want the boyz to hang around for a while.

second shootas are good but the points bump makes them even with the slugga choppa boy. PUtting Md Doc with a 30 man unit of shootas in heavy armor is a rock solid unit.

Heavy armor is good in small units or it makes big unit really tough. Now though boyz are great in battlewagons. MANZ are now great in trukks. Which is a switch I am still getting use too.

#5 ·
How you kit out your boyz depends on what job you want them to perform and how they interact with the rest of your army. Here are a few rules of thumb I usually live by.

Slugga Boyz: if you plan on getting your boyz stuck in assaults then take sluggas and choppas. That extra attack is always worth it. Shooting something up before an assault is nice, but if you took a warboss then you probably want to be RUNNING and then charging on your Waaagh!.

Shoota Boyz: if you want to camp objectives or hold mid table with your boyz then take shootas with some big shootas/rokkit launchas thrown in if you have the points. Slugga boyz can only sit on objectives and get shot while shootas can shoot back.

'eavy armor: if your boyz are in trukks then this is almost a must. Trukks are REALLY easy to explode and your boyz will just take too many casualties from the explosion followed by excessive mob rule beatings to be of any use. If you have the points, and your boyz are playing an important role without something a lot meaner to draw fire away, then take 'eavy armor.

Nob: always. Mob rule really isn't that bad and can often work in your favor if you've set yourself up to take advantage of it. A Nob with a boss pole will keep your boyz on the table doing their job. If its a unit designed for assault, then take a PK or BC. If its a shoota blob designed to camp objectives, then why spend 25 pts for a PK you aren't planning to use? Take maybe a BC or something shooty to compliment what the rest of the mob is doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.