Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

What paints to use?

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  kiro the avenger! 
#1 ·
To start a disclaimer: I'm not sure this goes here, but I can't think where it would go :( feel free to boot it wherever it belongs dear mods :eek:k:

So I plan to 'upgrade' my modelling loadout, including buying a long awaited airbrush

However I haven't been able to properly lock down a guide or review or whatever on which paints are best for what.
I think I've settled on Vallejo model air, as I've heard they can be sprayed straight out of the airbrush without thinning (some say yes thinning :scratchhead: ) and they can be used with brushes equally well
Are both these facts true?
Are there any better paint ranges?
Anything else I may have missed?

Thanks for any help :victory:

#2 · (Edited)
Well it all depends on taste methinks. First, let's get one misconception out of the way; Any paint can be made to go through an airbrush. It doesn't matter what brand it is - As long as you thin it down, it will go through the brush.

The best and cheapest way to thin them down, is to use de-mineralized water. If you thin the paint down to roughly the same consistency as low-fat milk, it will go through the brush.

If you buy the airbrush line from Vallejo, the only thing they have done is thin it down for you. It's easier to start off with, but the colour variant is very limited. Their metallics are good, but you will find that you have very few colours to actually pick from. Black, White and such can be easily be bought in the airbrush line though. Whether or not they need to be thinned additionally, depends on the colour. Their white needs additional thinning in my experience, but that colour sucks ass in general for airbrushing.

Personally, I use a variety of Vallejo, GW and P³. I thin them down as needs be and buy little bottles where I can make pre-mixes of colours I use a lot. Heck, I only use P³ paints for my plasma effects, and they are not made for airbrush - They work just fine though.

In short, there's no need to switch out your entire paint collection, just because it goes in the airbrush - Just thin them down and experiment. Choose your favorite line and go for it :good:

#3 ·
I'm at that stage when all my paints seem to be done or nearly done as is :p my wall mounted shopping list of paints is about 15 long :)
From what I've seen, the model air range seems pretty extensive, certainly got every colour I can see needing in the foreseeable future :)

About thinning, do you need the air brush for optimum results? Or does distilled water work just as well? Would tap water be acceptable? Even for short term?
Again I find mixed answers everywhere ranging from tap water is fine, to if you you anything by the right thinner the world implodes :cray:

#4 ·
About thinning, do you need the air brush for optimum results? Or does distilled water work just as well? Would tap water be acceptable? Even for short term?
The short answer is yes, you can use distilled water short term. The only thing you risk is, if the water have specs of minerals that will clog the airbrush. Although I would always recommend distilled water, I have very big doubts you would notice anything out of the ordinary if you use distilled water for a few months.

To my experience (keep in mind I have only used a airbrush for like 6 months though) the "airbursh thinner" does absolutely squat, except empty your wallet. Hell, even Badger Airbrushs CEO recommends using demineralized water in one of his presentations.

#5 ·
Sounds good, distiller water is like an 8h the price so I'd risk it anyway :p
On a related note, is proper cleaner needed? Or does water work there as well

#6 ·
On a related note, is proper cleaner needed? Or does water work there as well
I use water to start off with and then non-acidic window cleaner to go through it afterwards. It clears most things - But it's important you take the non-acidic versions. Usually you can go for the "Good for nature" brands, and they will clean the airbrush straight out.

I usually start off with a few times with water, then one with window cleaner and finally one more time with water. After that it's very rare that anything is left at all :)

#7 ·
Just an additional, yes the vallejo model air range is pretty limited, it was designed for realistic vehicles so its lots of brown, green and grey. That's why they released the vallejo game air range which has a full colour spectrum goin on.

Also, as somone who works in a shop that sells airbrush spares I'd throw out a warning about using thinners that are specifically designed for the paint you're using. The second most common cause of airbrush death we see is paints reacting in weird ways to thinners and cleaners. UMP airbrush cleaner for example seems to polymerise with the old GW foundation paints and its pretty nasty cleaning "hairs" made from paint out of your brush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.