Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Age of Sigmar is Nigh.

54K views 343 replies 54 participants last post by  Ryu_Niimura 
#1 ·
Saw this on BoLS. Looks like the Lizardmen survived.

See less See more
#6 ·
The End Times was handled so fucking poorly. The last few releases for 40K have been very poor in all but power creep. The style and design of Warhammer has steadily lost the aesthetics and quality I enjoyed about it when I first joined. As the standard of art increased, the quality of the game and the ideas for the new units have steadily gotten ever more shite.

Demigryph Knights, Laser beam Magic guns... Eh. While I can get the basis behind it, let's just say I'd have preferred more Steam Tanks and Bear Riders from Kislev.

But me? I'm old school and only spent probably the best part of a 1/5th of my wage from the last 15 years on GW shite, so what the fuck do GW care about me, so long as they keep getting newbies to spend £300 at once, never pick up the game again after 6 months, and then sell all the shit on ebay taking even more money out of GW's hands?

Reactions: turel2
#7 · (Edited)
I don't believe Age of Sigmar is 9th edition though, rumours point to it being something else, then 9th ed coming a bit later. One rumour said it was going to be a stand alone game like Space Hulk, another said it's the skirmish version released as it's own rulebook.

Valid points though. I liked TET and the newer stuff, however I am a newer player (joining up in the past decade). Though I'm now GW's ideal customer either, so I know what you mean.

Though: Old school Dwarf slayers, and metal WoC mounted Lords >>>>>> anything that's been released thus far, IMHO.

#16 ·
Warhammer failed to keep my interest on four separate occasions of me trying to get into the game. No problems with the fluff, no problems with the models, I just found the game system itself tedious as all shit.

If there is a skirmish variant, or if the core game mechanic is changed enough to not be so rigid then I might just be tempted to try for a fifth time with the scaly servants of the Old Ones. :whistle:

#25 ·
Hehehe. Clan Moulder can make anything out of anything man-things.

I can't wait to see what the Skaven have become in their self-imposed exile into the Realm of Ruin. I will definitely be starting my Skaven army proper for the new game.

LotN

#23 ·
picked up WD today and thd guy on shift mentioned 13 weeks of fantasy releases but didnt know anything beyond that. So... If we are getting stealer cults and deathwatch it wont be for some time

#24 ·
Fantasy is what really got me in the game. 40k really grabbed all my interest because of the fluff.

Its quite difficult in my opinion to start something without it being popular. Even during our age of Scifi, its died down a bit. I always considered the 80's and even early 90s as fantasy, knights in shinning armor years. It kind of boosted up in popularity when Lord of the rings was around. In my opinion they didn't take full advantage of the Hobbit to really push through end of times and more fluff.

You would think they would do a push if and when fantasy becomes popular again. Hopefully, not that long.

#29 · (Edited)
Yes. 6th Edition, you're correct. That was a fucking hanger dodger of a system. 7th? Eh, it has it's flaws, but mostly that's peoples refusals to outright move with the times and still stuck in 3rd edition thinking when Rhino Rush was a thing.

8th Edition Fantasy? It has exactly one good book. Vampire Counts. Which was perfectly balanced, so that even the shit units could be taken and still do reasonably well with (Hexwraiths and Ghouls). Other than that? It's broken. Completely and utterly.

#34 ·
Jan 2013 by all accounts, jesus 2 and half years has gone by fast, well in that case , lets have some more green/black/bone coloured marines, though to be honest i dont really see what minis we might get for the dark angels unless they are gonna slip some "vanilla" stuff out and dress them up as DAs.

#35 ·
True, DA does have some of the best chapter specific kits. You can't argue with the Deathwing kit. Plus, they seem to be MADE for formations with Deathwing, ravenwing, and Greenwing.

I'm pretty happy to just see plastic HQ's for them, as they pretty much have no options in that category, unless you use the vanilla ones. Belial could use the plastic treatment since he actually has multiple options for his loadout, would double nicely as a chapter master if you could give him a helmet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.