Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Fantasy Flight Games: X-Wing.

24K views 244 replies 19 participants last post by  Khorne's Fist 
#1 · (Edited)

So I've heard a few people talking about this game here and there, and I was wondering, is there anybody here on Heresy that plays this?

It's something that I think looks like an interesting game, and I know that @Jezlad is considering a purchase but being a tight-arse Scotsman I'll be damned if I'm going to spend money on something if I may not like it :laugh:

So, if there is anybody could you please share your opinions etc of the game with me - and Heresy as a whole. What are the mini's like? How's the gameplay? What is the quality of the gaming materials involved?

Any and all information is welcome :)

EDIT: Squadron Builder

See less See more
#3 ·
Cool, thanks for that :so_happy:

#5 ·
Good stuff, look forward to hearing about it :)

#6 ·
I found its a really fun table top game. I scales quite well and you can easily just use the basic ships for a quick beginner game, or get into a full game with all the different ship and upgrade options.

The rules provide a good strategic game. Since most ships can't stop on a dime you do need to plan ahead. Also all moves are selected ahead of time before any ship moves. This does lead to trying to out think and out outmaneuver you opponent, so there is a psychological aspect to the game as well. Think of it as a game of poker going on. Also most ships have the option to take one of a number of actions per turn, leaving you with even more options.

#7 ·
I'm liking the sound of this more and more :)

Not that I'll be doing anything until NY at the earliest, but still, it sounds like a great game :read:

#8 ·
Basically its little evolved version of older Wings of War game with Star Wars theme slapped on top of it. Played game over 10 times so far and its been fun like Wings was. Planning getting most of ships, but we have agreed on gaming group to limit ships only on original three episodes if there will be clone ships and all that.

Android netrunner takes most of my playing time and money right now, but X-wing is also game that you can have few drinks and relax.

If you buy this game, get 2 boxes at start!.

#9 ·
#11 ·
Finally picked up a copy of this. Not played yet but impressed with the initial impression so far.

The models - this is Star Wars, this is the whole reason that I bought the game and the models are excellent. Detailed, good scale, well painted. Very impressed.

Rules - the basic rules are that, very basic but the advanced rules appear to well balanced; they have been very simple to grasp, an hour of reading through the rulebook, checking out the cards/tokens/gameplay etc and I have definitely grasped the rules now.

Tokens - well rendered, very durable looking and not flimsy at all.

To get pretty much a whole gameset for under £30 is a rarity these days. I know that this is just the starter box but I am happy in the knowledge that I wont have to fork out a further £150 on extra models/rulebooks etc on top of painting everything.

Next month I will be picking up Slave1 (Diehard Boba Fett geek that I am....) a TIE Fighter expansion pack and a TIE Bomber pack.

Looking forward to it :grin:

#12 ·
Next month I will be picking up Slave1
Why am I not surprised? :laugh:

I'll try to grab a copy on payday bro :good:

#14 ·
I'd have been worried otherwise!

#18 ·
Tantive review

A very interesting addition. Four attack, no agility, eight hull and five shields.

It can also shoot at new range five, has a new turning template, a new energy function and an absolute shit load of mods and additions.

For £75, its a tad pricey but should make for some interesting games.

#19 ·
Jebus fucking cripes! :shok:

#20 ·
It looks interesting, and I would love to get my hands on one. But until I get moved into a new apartment its gonna have to wait. Plus i need to build up my Interceptor force. Cant wait for Imperial Aces. Kinda want some Defenders and Phantoms.

#22 · (Edited)
Been playing this all this week and its a really brilliant game; great uncomplicated rules, it flows really well and is uber tactical with the load outs and mods.

Had an epic match today, here is a brief run down;

Millennium Falcon, Y Wing and X Wing - my mate Rich.

TIE Advanced (Darth Vader) Slave 1 and TIE Fighter (Mauler) - me.

The game started with all ships closing on each other and firing a few pot shots. Slave 1 peppered the Falcon and knocked down three shields in the first few phases. As the ships got closer, the dog-fighting began. The Y Wing hit Vader with an ION cannon which reduced his movement for a turn.

This ensured that the rookie X Wing he was hunting zipped away and Vader set off in pursuit, taking him away from the main fighting. Mauler was evading everything that was thrown at him and began shooting at the Y wing.

In the middle of this, Slave 1 and the Falcon traded shots. Boba Fett showed some deft skills in dodging most of these shots before his shields were taken down. To counter this, Fett pulled a sharp turn and used his fire arc to pound at the Falcon. Its shields were gone and it took one hull damage but Chewbacca's ability restored one shield and the hull remained undamaged.

Mauler and Vader continued to duel with the Y Wing and the X Wing with no real damage being done. Then disaster. An ill conceived turn saw Slave 1 move off the table. He was gone and this left the Falcon to turn its attentions to the two remaining Imperial ships.

Distracted by this, I forgot use any actions on Vader (he can perform two per turn) and the Falcon, badly damaged after its encounter with Fett, unloaded on the Adanced TIE. Three hits were rolled and I failed to roll a single evade. Vader's shields were gone, and he took one critical damage that reduced his agility by one.

Vader, right annoyed at this stage, fired at the Y Wing (now down to two hull damage following a strafe from Mauler) at close range, three direct hits. The Y Wing used focus to evade one hit, but the remaining two hit home. Kaboom.

In response, the rookie X Wing opened up at close range at Mauler. The extra dice at close range was crucial - all three hit. Mauler, who had been evading everything, saw his luck turn. No evades were thrown and he was blasted into pieces.

The Falcon was closing in on Vader and narrowly avoided destroying his ship. In response, Vader pulled a tight turn and locked onto the Falcon. Here was the plan. My missiles mod was in range and, if my target lock was discarded, I could fire it twice. Six dice. DAKKA DAKKA. The Falcon's one evade dice was not enough and it was destroyed.

However, both Vader and Solo had the same pilot skill so Solo got shoot back before he died. One shot hit, even with his reroll skill and Vader dodged. Solo was indeed toast.

But now Vader was badly damaged, one shot away from death and facing a rookie pilot with no shields and a full hull. Shots were traded and Vader was lucky to emerge unscathed with his reduced agility.

Then came two mistakes from the rookie. A badly thought out moved meant he missed out on a firing arc, Vader took advantage and hit him twice, causing two damage. Then the game was up. The rookie had miscalculated and chose the wrong turning arc.....and he too fled the table top.

Vader had won! His Advanced TIE was battered and bruised but he was alive.

A corking way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

#23 ·
Sounds like a barrel of laughs bro :good:

Funds are lacking, but I'll be there before long with some ships!

#24 ·
Sounds like a barrel of laughs bro
Definitely my wargame of choice at the minute. The game itself is excellent and very easily learnt. From the core set to expanding to extra/bigger ships and squad building is an easy step and opens it up to a massively tactical game.

The game I outlined above was 100pts per side and lasted over an hour. Six ships worth of game play where either side could have won. FF have created a truly awesome game; low cost but massively entertaining. I really cannot recommend this game enough.

And its Star Wars :good:

#25 ·
One of the things I really like about the game is how streamlined it is. There's no flicking through codices trying to figure out what special rules a character has, or what a particular critical hit does. There is no bookkeeping in this game, everything you need to know is on the table in front of you.

It just makes the game so fast paced and enjoyable.

#27 ·
So this is the list I used yesterday, probably a bit beardy but it played well;

Darth Vader - Squad Leader and Cluster Missiles

Mauler Mithel - Marksmanship

Boba Fett - Veteran Instincts and Homing Missiles.

Total - 100 points.

Veteran Instincts boosted Fett's pilot skill to 10. Added to his ability to change his turning direction, this is a really good combination.

#28 ·
I really can't wait to jump on board with this! :good:

#30 ·
#32 ·
Good stuff :good:

#33 ·
Gunships that can barrel roll, good hull and shields and having Ten Numb as a pilot just increases its nastiness.

The only downsides are poor agility and poor manoeuvres. My TIE's will have to tread carefully :(

#34 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.