Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

My really old painting and a new one

588 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Whiskeyjack 
#1 ·
Well I said I would post up a couple of my old figures from way back. In my defence the marine looks like it was repainted about 10 times. Back then all I knew to strip them with was turps so if I had tried it I would have ended up with a puddle of plastic :laugh:

I plan to strip them with something (Dettol seem to be the Uk standard?) and have another go at them. The Eldar Harlequin is a lead figure I think.

Black Reach arrived on the weekend so I put together an orc and painted it. I made a mistake I think as I basecoated white and ended up with tiny white spots I had to track down one by one. Will try black next time, I also drybrushed the pants whch Im not sure worked, will try manually edge highlighting next time.

#2 ·
I like the old beakies. I also have an old apothecary, but mind is on a bike.

The ork looks good. Snakebite? I do find that I have less issues with black primer when I'm painting up my orks. As for the drybrushing the trousers, I find that if I'm a bit too enthusiastic, the trousers wind up looking like acid-wash jeans. Successive washes of Badab Black and Devlan Mud (or whatever their new names are) help blend it back.

#4 ·
I really like the old marines, I remember between a few friends we couldn't really afford them so we combined our money and bought a box of them and split them up. There were some disputes over who got the sergeants :biggrin:

The Orc was actually meant to be Goff :laugh: but I haven't added any of their distinctive identifiers, guess I should. Thanks for the tip, will give it a go.

Indeed it is, just remeber you need Brown Dettol - not the green stuff from those adverts which try to convince you that everything must be sanitised or you will die :victory:

Very nice progress with the painting! I wish i still had my first minis for a comparison.
Aye, I found the brown stuff, I'm now torn to weather I should leave them as is as a reminder though.

I looked at your salamanders which was the first figure I posted, very nice! Id be proud if I cold get near that level.:good:

#3 ·
I plan to strip them with something (Dettol seem to be the Uk standard?)
Indeed it is, just remeber you need Brown Dettol - not the green stuff from those adverts which try to convince you that everything must be sanitised or you will die :victory:

Very nice progress with the painting! I wish i still had my first minis for a comparison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.