Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Advent Short Stories 2014!

16K views 92 replies 8 participants last post by  Words_of_Truth 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted these last years so I have no problem forfilling it this year as well. :) Main-area for the digital products.

Day 1: The Horus Heresy: The Final Compliance of Sixty-Three Fourteen

The Story:
As Horus grinds the Imperium beneath his boot, emissaries from the XVIth Legion return to worlds sworn to the Warmaster during the Great Crusade to have them renew their fealty. With the Sons of Horus already at battle readiness over Sixty-Three Fourteen, a grim decision must be made...

Read it because...
Witness the brutal methods of re-conquest enacted by the Warmaster and the Traitor Legions as the war for humanity wages on. This Quick Read is a fascinating look at the changes the war has wrought in Horus and the way he is viewed by the Imperium’s defenders.

Well I'm happy that they went out with a HH-related story but I don't know. It doesn't scream "Buy me!" Might be good, but its not that appealing. Anyone who has bought it?

See less See more
#36 ·
Day 9: A Son's Burden.

The Story:
The Blood Angels call for aid, and the Flesh Tearers answer, but Gabriel Seth’s warriors are already engaged in battle against traitorous cultists on the dark world of Nekkaris. As Seth and Chaplain Appollus prepare to leave for the Cryptus system, Sergeant Eschiros and his Scout squad fight behind enemy lines, unaware of the almighty sacrifice they may soon have to make...
Read it because:
The Flesh Tearers are thought of as savage butchers (and there's a bit of that in this book, admittedly) , but this story reveals a deep loyalty and nobility hidden beneath the mask of rage - a link back to their origins on ancient Baal.

#37 ·
Day 9: Echoes of War: Flesh Tearers - A Son's Burden.

Death in the Darkness:
Upon the night world of Nekkaris, a small band of Flesh Tearers fights to destroy the traitor artillery that threatens their brothers. Should they be detected by the renegade sentries then their lives will surely be forfeit. Yet the Flesh Tearers press on regardless, for they will do their duty no matter the cost.
Black Library tie-in mission
To accompany the Black Library short story A Son's Burden, this Warhammer 40,000 Echoes of War mission allows you to refight the tense attack by the Flesh Tearers' Scout force upon the renegades' artillery batteries.

#38 ·
Day 10: Horus Heresy - Vorax.

The Story:
The Ring of Iron encircles Mars like a broken halo, standing as the last contested outpost of the Dark Mechanicum inside the Imperial Fists’ blockade. But those rogue priests and adepts lurking in the depths will soon face a new enemy, and the hunters shall become the prey...
Read it because
See the Vorax battle hunters in action against the traitors of the Dark Mechanicum. This Quick Read also gives an insight into the war for Mars that rages within the Solar System itself – arguably the second most important battleground of the entire Heresy.

This looks interesting. Somewhat continuation from the Mechanicum-plotline.

#39 ·
Day 10: Leviathan Rising - The Collection.

The Great Devourer Comes:
In the Satys System, the onrushing terror of Hive Fleet Leviathan is met by the cold steel and determination of the Catachan Jungle Fighters and the Blood Angels. As the jaws of the Leviathan inexorably clamp down, the forces of the Imperium fight furiously to rescue what they can from annihilation. This Dataslate trilogy is a prequel to the events of the Shield of Baal campaign. Discover the fate of the first worlds to find themselves in the path of Hive Fleet Leviathan's latest offensive, refight the brutal battles for the Satys System and add over a dozen new formations to your tyranid force.
Three Products in One!
This product comprises all three of the Rising Leviathan Dataslates, compiled together as a single great value eBook – an invaluable tome for any tyranid collector.

#40 ·
Day 11: Last Step Backwards.

The Story:
As the dread forces of the Chaos-worshipping Anckorites spread from world to world, Cadian Shock Troop Whiteshields – new troopers tasting battle for the first time – are all that stand between the enemy and utter destruction. But when the famed general Ursakar E Creed enacts a dangerous battle plan to outmanoeuvre the foe, there may just be hope for survival, or even victory.
Read it because:
The first Black Library story to feature the famed Cadian hero Ursakar E. Creed. See him in action doing what he does best – outwitting the foul forces of Chaos with tactical cunning and Cadian determination.

Find it weird he hasn't been written about until now, but could be an interesting story. :)

#41 ·
Day 11: Echoes of War: Astra Militarum - Last Step Backwards.

For Cadia, and the Emperor!
As the Chaos hordes of Luciver Anckor bear down upon the last settlement of Besana, only a thin line of Cadian Whiteshields bars their path. Led by the courageous Major Luka and supported by a single, battered Leman Russ, these heroic Cadians must hold out at all costs until reinforcements arrive.
Black Library tie-in mission:
To accompany the Black Library short story 'Last Step Backwards', this Warhammer 40,000 Echoes of War mission allows you to refight the courageous stand of the Cadian Whiteshields against Chaos forces on the Incardine Ridge.

#48 ·
Oh multiple nerdgasms! I truly truly do hope that we are about to get a Kharn novel, hell maybe my prediction from a few years ago will come true. When Ahriman: Exile was confirmed I wondered if the Four Avatars would get a series each; Kharn, Ahriman, Typhus and Lucius. Maybe I was right...

LotN

#46 ·
Day 12: Brethren (MP3).

The Story:
Ultramarines sergeants Sicarius and Numitor spearhead an assault on a tau-held world. As their jump-pack clad Space Marines clash with powerful tau battlesuits, the two sergeants discover that the Tau Empire and the Imperium of Man may have as many similarities and differences – but does that matter when the xenos threaten the Emperor’s realm?
Listen to it because:
All stories have their beginning. In this tale, we see the Ultramarines first encounter with the Tau. As the elite warriors of both empires clash, the differences between them become apparent.

#47 ·
Day 12: Broodlord: Painting Guide.

The Lurking Horror:
In a galaxy of monsters, the Broodlord is amongst the most terrifying. A great, hulking horror capable of tearing through almost any foe, the Broodlord is a striking xenos arch-fiend whose chitinous hide echoes the colours of the Tyranid hive fleets.
How to Paint:
This product is an excerpt taken from Invasion Swarms: Tyranids Painting Guide, detailing step-by-step how to paint your Broodlord and providing top tips on how to make this imposing Citadel Miniature really stand out on the field of battle.

#49 ·
Day 13: The Word of the Silent King.

The Story:
The Blood Angels and necrons, locked in a long and bitter war for the fate of the Gehenna system, are both endangered by the arrival of the monstrous tyranids. When the Silent King himself makes overtures of alliance, Commander Dante of the Blood Angels enacts a dangerous plan that could rid the Imperium of the Silent King forever – but when the two leaders meet at Devil’s Crag, everything changes…
Read it because:
One of Warhammer 40,000's great mysteries is explored. Why did The Blood Angels ally with their Archenemy the Necrons at Devil's Crag? This story may have the answers.

This is then the answer to the event which made 40k-fans cry out in terror across the globe.

#51 ·
#50 ·
Day 13: Datacards: Blood Angels.

The Scions of Sanguinius:
The Blood Angels are amongst the greatest heroes of the Imperium. Selfless and pure despite the curse that lies upon them, they fight to protect the Emperor's Realm, unleashing mighty psychic powers and courageous stratagems upon their foes.
Data Reference:
An eBook Edition of Datacards: Blood Angels, this product is an excellent reference tool for any Warhammer 40,000 player, detailing the psychic powers and Tactical Objectives found in Codex: Blood Angels and allowing you quick access to all this information on your phone or eReader.

#52 ·
Day 14: None More Loyal.

The Story:
Crimson Fists Sergeant Galleas and his squad are assigned to aid an inquisitor who hunts a notorious renegade Space Marine. Setting out to entrap the traitor, the Crimson Fists soon find themselves surrounded and in danger – and their enemy may know them as well as they know themselves, as an ancient and deadly secret is revealed.
Read it because:
The Crimson Fists have not had the best time of late - what with their home world near destroyed by an ork Waaagh! under mysterious circumstances. In this new story, their loyalty to the Imperium is pushed to breaking point as they come into contact with shadowy agents of the Inquisition...

#53 ·
Day 14: Egil Iron Wolf: Painting Guide.

Fear the Might of Fenris:
Hardened warriors who fight for Russ and the Allfather, the Space Wolves are incredible warriors against whom no foe can stand for long. Of all their Great Companies, none can match the Ironwolves for sheer armoured might, and wise foes have learned to dread the sight of this Great Company's distinctive iconography.
How to Paint:
This product is an excerpt taken from Companies of Fenris: Space Wolves Painting Guide, detailing step-by-step how to paint and base the Ironwolves, apply their tank markings, and colour their shoulder guards.

#57 · (Edited)
Day 15: Ahriman - Gates of Ruin.

The Story:
Ahriman, sorcerer lord of the Thousand Sons, seeks the fabled Gates of Ruin, reportedly a safe way out of the Eye of Terror, far from the eyes of the Imperium. But when he finds the Gates of Ruin, he discovers that he has been drawn into a deadly trap. As daemons attack, Ahriman and his followers must draw on all their power and skill if they are to survive.
Read it because:
Misunderstood seeker of knowledge or diabolical Lord of Chaos? A bit of both maybe. Fans of the Ahriman series won't want to miss this latest instalment, as the Sorcerer finds himself snared in a fiendish trap as he and his followers seek to escape the Eye of Terror.

Released on the 15th day with a story about a former member of the XVth Legion. You really had me there Black Library. I'm currently reading Ahriman Sorcerer and I find it somewhat entertaining. No master-piece I'm afraid and I have some small issues with it. John French is a very nice guy though and always replies when I ask him stuff. He uploaded this list some time ago so I imagine this is the secret short story taking place prior to Sorcerer and I guess it ties in with The First Prince as that starts out with one of Ahrimans followers being struck down by daemons. It makes somewhat more sense then.

Attachments

#58 ·
Day 15: Enemies of the Imperium: Wallpapers.

Wallpapers of War!
This product provides you with a collection of artwork from Warhammer 40,000 Codex covers for our non-Imperial races. Whether you're a fan of evil heretics fighting against the Emperor's light, or rapacious, monstrous xenos, this pack ensures you can wear your colours upon your desktop with pride!

#59 ·
Day 16: Vengeful Honour.

The Story:
On the war-torn world of Armageddon, the Marines Malevolent and Black Templars come to blows once again. An honour duel is interrupted by the arrival of the monstrous orks, but when the battle ends, either Ballack of the Marines Malevolent or Vorda of the Black Templars will be dead… but by whose hand will the fatal blow be delivered?
Read it because:
The Marines Malevolent are a Space Marine Chapter you love to hate. Arrogant, inhuman, but no less deadly for that. In this story, they must set aside their animosity and fight side by side alongside their BlackTemplar allies, what could possibly go wrong...

Hey it's those annoying guys from that very mediochre novel! :)

#60 ·
Day 16: Brother Lamentarios: Painting Guide.

The Colours of the Angel.
The Blood Angels stride to war in the glorious livery of their Chapter. Their Sanguinary Priests are beacons of light and hope, bearers of the blood chalices that lend their brethren strength. Easily distinguished upon the smoke-darkened battlefield, the white, gold and red of the Sanguinary Priests makes them shine like Sanguinius himself.
How to Paint
This product is an excerpt taken from Sons of Sanguinius: Blood Angels Painting Guide, detailing step-by-step how to paint your Sanguinary Priest and providing top tips to help really make this Citadel Miniature stand out on the field of battle.

#62 ·
Day 17: The Value of Fear.

The Story:
The Raven Guard under Corax continue to gather all leaderless loyalists to their banner, determined to take the fight to Horus and his heretics. In the industrial nightmare of the underhive, the XIXth Legion receive a lesson in terror tactics from the most unlikely of allies – the Night Lords...
Read it because:
The Night Lords are often seen as the dark mirror of the noble Raven Guard, but how much of that is true? Are these two Legions poles apart, or closer than any within the XIX would dare admit...

I have no high hopes on Gav Thorpe as I haven't been impressed by his Raven Guard-stories since Raven's Flight. This does however sound like an interesting premiss. Don't disappoint me now. I wouldn't trust many to deal with Night Lords outside of ADB.

#63 ·
Day 17: Datacards: Space Wolves.

Warriors of Fenris.
Saga-sung heroes of battlefields beyond count, the Space Wolves fight valiantly for glory and the Imperium of Man. Utterly determined and entirely without fear, these mighty warriors drive the foes of the Allfather before them with frost axe and bolter, while their Rune Priests unleash the very fury of the storm upon their foes.
Data Reference
An e-pub version of Datacards: Space Wolves, this product is an excellent reference tool for any Warhammer 40,000 player, detailing the Space Wolves' Tempestas discipline psychic powers and their unique Tactical Objectives.

#65 ·
I wonder if ADB has a contribution to the Advent-series. I would have loved to see his story be connected with the Black LEgion-series. GW last product looks like its BL-related on the marking at least.

#68 ·
I would almost guess Amit considering the author. I'm surprised it wasn't James Swallow who wrote this, but I can imagine since his let-down with the Fear to Tread, he isn't allowed near the HH-Blood Angels. I'm carefully optimsitic about it. I didn't like the narrator that much.

#67 ·
Day 18: Herald of Sanguinius.

The Story:
Crowned as the new Emperor of Imperium Secundus, Sanguinius of the Blood Angels faces the very real threat of betrayal from within his new realm. As ever, it falls to his Sanguinary Guard to protect the primarch, and Commander Azkaellon must resort to the most dire of measures...
Listen to it because:
Not only is this story a fascinating glimpse into the mind of the Blood Angels Primarch, it also shines light on the origins of another well known character in the history of the IX Legion...

#69 ·
Day 18: Altar of War: Cryostorm.

Fear the Fury of the Cryostorm!
On ice-locked death worlds terrible cryostorms lash the land, molten ice-cyclones freezing men solid in the space of a heartbeat. Amid this horror, warriors clash over vital supplies, seizing objectives or looting them for super-weapons with which to bring the desperate battle to a swift and explosive conclusion.
Tactical Objectives and Mission
This product includes tactical objectives that allow players to fight battles amid world-freezing cryostorms, and a mission for Warhammer 40,000 set within the worst cryostorm yet, where players must choose between claiming Victory Points or ransacking objectives for much-needed supplies.

#70 ·
Day 19: Holder of the Keys.

The Story:
One of the Fallen, the Dark Angels who betrayed their oaths and turned on their brothers, relives his past under the psychic interrogation of Chief Librarian Ezekiel. But with treachery and falsehood in his nature, nothing the Fallen says can be trusted – does Ezekiel hold the key to unlocking the truth and discovering the warrior’s role in the fall of Caliban?
Listen to it because:
Half truths, rituals of mistrust and layers of deception – it could only be a new Dark Angels story from Gav Thorpe. Is this a glimpse into the fabled fall of ancient Caliban, or just a pack of lies from a deranged madman? You'll have to listen and decide for yourself.

#71 ·
Day 19: Dark Angels: Librarius Conclave Formation.

Grim Psychic Might:
The Librarians of the Dark Angels possess wills of iron. They use their sinister psychic discipline of interromancy to spread fear and panic through the enemy's ranks, while simultaneously tearing free the darkest secrets of their foes. A single such psychic warrior is fearsome enough, but an entire conclave led by none other than Grand Master Ezekiel himself is a living weapon that can change the fate of a whole war zone.
A Dark Angels Formation:
This product includes the datasheet for the Dark Angels Librarius Conclave Formation, for use in your games of Warhammer 40,000.

#73 · (Edited)
From user Majere613 on BOLS:

Put me in a kilt and call me a Scotsman, the Librarius Conclave is actually pretty good! You need Ezekiel and at least two other Librarians to run it, but it lets them share powers, manifest on 3+, and doubles the range of Mind Worm which suddenly starts to look quite nasty. You don't have to use them as a unit, either, though you could.
I'd prefer to avoid regurgitating the exact rules, but basically you nominate one Librarian each turn, and he gets all the powers of any other member of the formation within 12" of him, along with the other bonuses.
Here's hoping for a Cabal of Sorcerers dataslate some day for Chaos Sorcerers. I imagine every Sorcerer's attacks will get the Soul Blaze and FEAR USR:biggrin:.

*edit*

More, via Natfka:

Via an anonymous source
1 Ezekiel
2-4 Dark Angel Librarians

Choose one model in the formation, this model has access to any psychic powers known by other models in this formation within 12". Other models within 12" cannot manifest psychic powers until the end of the phase. The chosen model passes psychic tests on 3+

When using Mind Worm, models in this formation double the max range if there is at least one other model within 12"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.