Adrenal Glands
Dual Boneswords

6 Raveners
Rending Claws

Trygon Prime
Maw-Claws of Thyrax

See less See more
#2 ·
It's pretty fast and has decent synapse coverage. Looks like it would be fun to play

I really don't like raveners though. A second shrike unit would have been better

Is everything modeled and ready to go, by the way?

Whether it is or isn't, one beneficial thing you could do is run it as two detachments by dividing the hormagaunts into four units of fifteen (I'd do that with one detachment actually) and then you can separate the shrikes into two units.

#6 · (Edited)
Whether it is or isn't, one beneficial thing you could do is run it as two detachments by dividing the hormagaunts into four units of fifteen (I'd do that with one detachment actually) and then you can separate the shrikes into two units.
If I split up the shrikes, I would have 1 too many FA units. It is a good idea though as I shouldn't attract too much attention to them.

The only units I still need to assemble & paint are 3 more shrikes.

I will probably remove the Red Terror as I do agree it is somewhat overkill

#3 ·
If you're wanting a quick list, this list has won tournaments;

http://battlebrotherswh40k.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/tournament-winning-tyranid-list-lictors.html

Hive Tyrant – wings, 2x twin-linked Devourer, Electroshock Grubs – 240
Hive Tyrant – wings, 2x twin-linked Devourer, Electroshock Grubs – 240
Lictor – 50
Lictor – 50
Lictor – 50
3 Ripper Swarms – Deepstrike – 45
5 Genestealers – 70
5 Genestealers – 70
5 Genestealers – 70
5 Spore Mines – 25
5 Spore Mines – 25
4 Spore Mines – 20
Mawloc – 140
Mawloc – 140
Mawloc – 140
Bastion – Comms relay – 95

Death Leapers Assassin Formation

Death Leaper – 130
Lictor – 50
Lictor – 50
Lictor – 50
Lictor – 50
Lictor – 50
I've not yet played with Nids although steadily picking up Lictors as this has always been my image of Nids and seeing it be effective has encouraged me to spend some money on it. In the meanwhile there's some ideas, even though it's not that similar to yours.

#4 ·
I really like your list idea as I am always found of fast moving close-combat nids. I like the above suggestion of splitting the shrikes into two squads by taking a 2nd CAD. What I have to ask though, is why two units of 30 hormgants? I always run them in squads of 15 if I want 30. Mainly because I believe they are more useful this way. They can tie up multiple units this way and they provide more threats in a sense. Unless you are playing kill points, two units just seem better. A super shooty unit can only wipe one squad of 15 rather than a large squad of 30 a turn. One reason the above lictor list was successful is that units wasted a lot of fire power on a single model. Missile-broadsides are impressive because they throw out 24 missiles (plus their drones) a turn. Which means firing at one squad is devastating to the one squad, however, if your squads are two squads of 15, then one squad of 15 is safe. The same goes for getting locked with a walker. Hormagants cannot hurt knights, dreads, or mauler fiends but are good for tying them up - but you don't want 30 dudes on this task, but 15 are suffice. Also, it helps you capture more objectives which is especially nice in maelstrom games.

So I suppose you really have to ask yourself, why you want those big broods and how they benefit you versus how they hinder you. Additionally, I think it would be beneficial to run 2 squads of raveners instead of the red horror. All with rending claws. 2 squads of 4 should be 140 points, while a squad of 6 with the red terror is 295. So you actually save 15 points this way and I feel like it would be beneficial in the same sense that split the gants is beneficial. Plus, 6 raveners and the red terror are probably overkill against most units.

Those are just my initial thoughts but as always, play what makes you happy.

#5 ·
About the Raveners - give them spinefists - really cheap, twin linked and nice number of shots.
Red Terror plus 5x Raveners with Spinefist 250pt.
Then make your Red Terror your Warlord and throw a 3 on the Nid Warlord chart to get Synapse of 6" or a 4 to get 2VP for each Ind Ch you are going to swallow whole in a challenge. Since it's battleforged you'll get a reroll.
FAQ has updated Warlord Trait table (1&3 are modified):
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer-40k/7th-faq/Tyranids_v1.0_May14.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.