Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

How does human fight off daemons?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Drop Bear 
#1 ·
I don't know too much about warhammer but I read allot of fluff about warhammer 40 k. In war hammer 40k you have the space marines and specific the Grey Knights that battle against the greater daemon.

But how does a warrior from the Empire or warrior priest fight a daemon ? Particularly a greater daemon?

#2 · (Edited)
Strenuously.

The avarage soldier is little match for even a lesser daemon, but perhaps they could overwhelm them with sheer numbers. Fighting them off long enough for them to become destabilized. A little magic however, makes a big difference. Daemons are more vulnerable to magic weapons and spells, especially light magic. Warrior Priests know some prayers capable of damaging or banishing daemons.
Greater Daemons are of course a whole other cup of tea. Only the most powerful of heroes and wizards have a slight chance against them. Luckily, Greater Daemons are rare.

#4 ·
Daemons cannot be killed in the conventional sense but their physical form is still vulnerable to damage so if you say cut it's head off it will for all intents and purposes have died even though it's essence goes back to the warp, the empire humans and the like aren't a match for them individually but the way the empire makes war is that each man supports the rest of the men in his unit and works together to bring down a more powerful opponent.
It basically boils down to, daemons will die if you hit them enough just like everything else, once you add in some wizards and warrior priests then humans are far from defenceless.

As for greater daemons usually cannons or a heroic individual or even just being swamped by loads of guys eventually bringing them down. Hope this answers your queson :)
Cs out

#5 ·
Guys before me have already answered: prayers, magic, cannons, weight of numbers.
Even "in game" it works just like that: you either use a buffed up priest or a fully kitted great hero, kill them with spells, aim all the cannons on the critters and...in a former edition (5th iirc), my 20 pikeman unit brought down, first round of combat, a bloodthirster...

#6 ·
Unless it's a very minor one with grate difficulty, you need some kind of Magic be that an Item or magical ability like a Wizard, Priest or one of the so called "Witch Lores" , Wizards, Hedgefolk and Hag Witches may know mundane Bane items that can help in the fight but that differs from Daemon to Daemon type.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.