Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Venomlust's Senseless List Thread

29K views 337 replies 18 participants last post by  venomlust 
#1 · (Edited)
I figure with the frequency I come up with lists, I want to avoid flooding the forum while also indulging myself. I reserve this space to do just that.

I don't really play in tourneys so I just write lists that sound fun to me. I constantly edit things as I obsess about them, so apologies in advance for being a spaz.

#2 · (Edited)
List #1: 2750 Points: Slaves of the Blood God: CSM & Black Legion Allies

This is a list I've been dreaming about. It may not be terrific, but I think it will be a lot of fun to play.

I'm using the Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf model for the Black Legion Chaos Lord, accompanied by 5 Fenrisian Wolf Spawn, and also Njall Stormcaller for the Sorcerer. These are all traitor Space Wolves that bent the knee to Abaddon for access to sweet artifacts that let them splatter things as they please.

Lord on Juggernaut is my favorite HQ in the game, so running 2 is very exciting. The problem with using 2 in a plain CSM list is that you only get one Axe of Blind Fury. The remaining options include the Burning Brand, but on a close-combat HQ that seems wasted. Power Sword with +1S and AP3 is meh. Decent if all you want to do is kill marines. When you need AP2 to kill Terminators or Artificer, Axes or Fists leave you open to Instant Death (or wounds) by striking last in a challenge, so nuts to that. Just can't beat S7 AP2 at initiative.

The Black Legion allows the Wolf Lord to take the Skull of Ker'ngar, giving Eternal Warrior and Adamantium Will. That lets me give him a Power Fist for 4 unwieldy (6 on the charge) S9 ((Base4*2)+1 Juggernaut) AP2 attacks with 3+/4++ immunity to Instant Death along with T5 and 4 wounds. Not bad at all. With Invisibility, he's hitting on 3s and being hit on 5s, further adding to his survivability. I forgot that he isn't getting Furious Charge, so he won't be hurting Land Raiders except on 6s. I gave him Melta Bombs, so now he's a threat to everything on the ground. +1 to Deny the Witch for a 1/3 chance is a cool bonus. He won't be wiping out squads of infantry, but he isn't getting tarpitted either, thanks to the Spawn backup. I'd love to see them sweep a unit of Fire Warriors and trample them into a blue paste.

Be'lakor is there for the Invisibility buff to either Lord + Spawn along with Puppet Master, Psychic Shriek, and close combat murder if necessary. Mental Fortitude could also come in handy if any of the Cultists start running like bitches. I decided to make Be'lakor my warlord, for -1 to Fear tests, which the Spawn and Maulerfiends will cause (4 units total) in combat. Since he'll be cover camping with a 2+ and wings, he should be the most suvivable HQ and therefore provide the biggest challenge for Slay the Warlord.

The unmarked Sorcerer is rolling all 3 on Telepathy, hoping for Invisibility and Puppet Master as well. Psychic Shriek would be a decent power too if anyone gets close.

The Fire Raptor will aim for enemy flyers/light vehicles/MC. The Heldrakes will roast infantry and vector strike stuff.

Termicide unit with Combi-Meltas is ideally going to pop hard to reach vehicles, or Heavy Conversion Beamer/Mortis Contemptors.

Practically the entire army is charging. 4 units that move through cover and 2 Rhinos offer me a lot of mobility, combined with medium to short range firepower and close-combat rape. Mid-field objectives would be best, to give Be'lakor and the Sorcerer the best opportunity to use all of their powers.

55 scoring infantry units, and plenty of Cultists to tarpit stuff if necessary.

The Khorne-marked marine squad with the meltas is riding in an upgraded Rhino. Extra Armor will hopefully keep the tank mobile as it loses hull points and gets the squad into melta/charging range. If it survives, I'll send the tank up ahead into Dirge Caster range. Doesn't always happen, but there are a lot of targets. Hopefully once the troops are out, they'll ignore it. Decent anti-armor shots followed by a lot of attacks (39 on the charge, 29 if charged with a successful Counter Attack).

The Chosen have an assload of plasma shots, so they'll either take potshots from midfield or charge up in their Rhino into rapid-fire range. I figured they can have a stock Rhino, because they only really need to make it to the mid-field objectives or cover to start being useful, while the Khorne-marked marines need to get a lot closer. The Ld10 from Veterans will come in handy, since one casualty is 20% of the squad.

MAIN FORCE HQ:

Warlord:Be'lakor
Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Axe of Blind Fury, Melta Bombs, Sigil of Corruption
Sorcerer: Mastery Level 3, Spell Familiar, Force Maul, Sigil of Corruption

BLACK LEGION ALLIES HQ:

Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Sigil of Corruption, Power Fist, Skull of Ker'ngar, Melta Bombs, Veterans of the Long War

MAIN FORCE TROOPS:

Chaos Space Marines x10: Mark of Khorne, Icon of Wrath, 2x Meltaguns, Replace 7 Bolters w/ CCW, Rhino + Dirge Caster + Extra Armor
Cultists x 20: Joined by Sorcerer
Cultists x10
Cultists x10

BLACK LEGION ALLIES TROOPS:

Chosen x5: Plasma Gun x4, Veterans of the Long War, Rhino

MAIN FORCE ELITES:

Terminators x3: Combi-Melta x2, Champ Combi-Melta

MAIN FORCE FAST ATTACK:

Heldrake with Baleflamer
Heldrake with Baleflamer
Spawn x5: Joined by CSM Lord on Juggernaut

BLACK LEGION ALLIES FAST ATTACK:

Spawn x5: Joined by BL Lord on Juggernaut

MAIN FORCE HEAVY SUPPORT:

Maulerfiend with Magma Cutters
Maulerfiend with Magma Cutters

BLACK LEGION ALLIES HEAVY SUPPORT:

Fire Raptor: 2x Reaper Batteries, Daemonic Possession

#5 · (Edited)
Here's another.

I call it the 2755 Too-Many-Expensive-HQs Army

CSM allied with BL.

I often run Be'lakor in my army, because he's awesome, but I thought I'd chuck in more Daemon Princes to make things interesting. Someone in another thread suggested a cool build for a BL DP with Last Memory, so I included him as the BL HQ.

Be'lakor doing his thing, as per usual.

The Black Mace prince is the close combat beatstick. Take out a scoring unit on his own, or smash enemy armor.

The Lord is there to man the quad gun and make the 20-man cultist unit holding the home objective Fearless. MoT and SoC for a 3++, in case anything dangerous slips past the rest of the army and tries to take them out in an assault. I decided to make him my warlord because, in theory, he's in the least danger behind the ADL on the gun. If I'm lucky I'll roll Master of Deception and infiltrate the CSM, or maybe even the Cultists to give some small blob distractions that will be running right at whatever needs to be tarpitted. 50 point sacrificial squads with 10 wounds sounds fine to me. It's only a 1/6 shot, but I don't think I really need Be'lakor's warlord trait, so might as well be safe.

The BL Prince will be rolling 1 in Nurgle and 2 in Biomancy. Those powers (unless they're useful) are really just a formality, because the idea will be to get close to enemy troops and drop an 18" bomb on they ass that ignores cover. Only Ld9, but with rerolls I'm hoping to avoid an insta-wound. He could still get grounded, but that's a FMC, so whatever.

The plasma CSM squad is for mid-field scoring and firepower. Plasma to deal with stuff I need AP2 for.

The melta CSM squad is just added anti-armor or anti-TEQ, whatever. Might as well assault vehicles with the melta bomb/kraks, if I need to.

The Hades Forgefiend and Autocannon Havocs are there to pop light armor and spam shots at flyers, combined with vector strikes from... everyone, and quad gun shots. They can really aim at anything except high AV armor and do some real damage.

One squad of Obliterators (probably the squad of 3) will be deployed on the table for an opening Lascannon volley. The duo will deep-strike to attack priority targets. Hopefully with T5, 2/5++ and 4 wounds between them, at least 1 will survive Interceptor shots to do something useful.

I was thinking of running 1 Forgefiend with Ectoplasma for extra AP2 support for the mid-field. It seems kinda risky to have him marching up that close, but that's what I'd have to do for that AP2 shooting, unless I just camp him behind the ADL as a "just in case" measure for attackers getting within 24". Seems like an awful lot of risk for 2 blasts, though. Maybe it would be better to let the 3x Obliterators fire Plasma Cannons from the ADL at 36" after their initial Lascannon volley. That way the AP2 is there from farther away (36") and the Forgefiend will get that cover save and pop off 8 shots.

The 2 squads of Cultists are for tarpitting and contesting, if they survive that long. Really they're just there to unlock double FOC.

MAIN FORCE HQ:

Be'lakor
Daemon Prince: Daemon of Tzeentch, The Black Mace, Wings, Armor
Warlord: Chaos Lord: Mark of Tzeentch, Sigil of Corruption, Lightning Claw

BLACK LEGION ALLIES HQ:

Daemon Prince: Daemon of Nurgle, Wings, Armor, Mastery Level 3, Spell Familiar, Last Memory of the Yuranthos

MAIN FORCE TROOPS:

Cultists x10
Cultists x10
Chaos Space Marines x10: 2x Plasma Gun, Rhino

BLACK LEGION ALLIES TROOPS:

Cultists x20

MAIN FORCE FAST ATTACK:

Heldrake: Baleflamer

MAIN FORCE HEAVY SUPPORT:

Forgefiend: Hades Autocannons
Obliterators x2: Mark of Nurgle
Obliterators x3: Mark of Nurgle
Havocs x5: 4 Autocannons

BLACK LEGION ALLIES HEAVY SUPPORT:

FORTIFICATIONS:

Aegis Defense Line: Quad Gun

#6 · (Edited)
Ok, it's NOT GONNA happen: 2999 Points: Chaos Space Marines + 2 Imperial Knight Detachments

I think this list would probably really piss off whoever I'm playing against, short of some 2+ rerolling madness that I couldn't catch with the Knights.

HQ:

Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Axe of Blind Fury, Sigil of Corruption, Melta Bombs
Chaos Sorcerer: Mastery Level 3, Spell Familiar, Sigil of Corruption, Jump Pack, Force Maul

TROOPS:

Cultists x21
Cultists x20
Cultists x10
Chaos Space Marines x10: 2x Plasma, Rhino

FAST ATTACK:

Heldrake
Heldrake
Spawn x5

HEAVY SUPPORT:

IMPERIAL KNIGHT MERCENARY ALLIED DETACHMENTS:

2x Knight Errant
2x Knight Paladin

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA! PREPARE THYSELVES FOR A STUBBING!

Too bad it'll never happen.

#7 · (Edited)
My friend is planning to buy 6 Imperial Knights, so I've built a list to deal with them as best I can.

He's probably going to have ~280 points to bring Eldar, to round out the list to 2500 points. So here's my answer:

The result is a CSM army allied with Daemons. 2503 points.

HQ: CSM:

Warlord: Kharn the Betrayer
Daemon Prince: Wings, Armor, Mark of Tzeentch

HQ: Daemons

Be'lakor
Daemon Prince: Wings, Armor, Daemon of Tzeentch, Mastery Level 3 (all on Telepathy)

TROOPS: CSM:

Cultists x10
Cultists x10
Cultists x10
Cultists x10

TROOPS: Daemons

Daemonettes x17
Daemonettes x10

FAST ATTACK: CSM:

Heldrake: Hades Autocannon
Dreadclaw Drop Pod

FAST ATTACK: Daemons

Seekers of Slaanesh x10: Icon, Instrument

HEAVY SUPPORT: CSM

Havocs x9: 4x Meltaguns, Melta bombs on champ <= Joined by Kharn & deployed in Dreadclaw
Maulerfiend: Magma Cutters

Strategy:

Basically, the strength of this list is in the utilization of flyers/flying monstrous creatures, which he cannot shoot with his Knights while they're zooming/swooping. The idea is then to exploit his unshielded facings in order to deal as many hull points as possible, with as little retribution as possible.

Kharn and the MeltaHavocs are in the Dreadclaw. This allows the squad to zoom across the board unmolested in order to get into combat as quickly as possible. This is an assault vehicle, so the squad can pop out, shoot 4 meltas, and charge. Hopefully, out of 4 shots, something penetrates the shield. Kharn's insane number of S7 Armourbane attacks at I5 should, with some luck, take a Knight out before it gets to strike back. Hatred means he's directing as many attacks as possible at the enemy, and not hitting his mostly-useless-in-combat MeltaHavocs. The melta-bomb is sort of a last-ditch effort to finish the Knight off, if Kharn doesn't do the job.

Be'lakor, versatile as ever, will kick some ass in this list. Telepathy for Puppet Master if there are Knights Errant within Melta range of other Knights, Hallucination if not. Invisibility in case one of my units needs it. He'll be swooping around using powers until the moment is right to cut a weakened Knight down. He can Smash if he needs to, but with 6 S7 Armourbane AP2 Master-crafted attacks on the charge, he shouldn't need to.

The CSM Daemon Prince is just a low-cost (well...) beat-stick. He'll be Vector Striking all game long, and then using Smash to finish off weakened Knights. He can also deal with any sort of ground troops my friend brings, if needed. He's the lowest priority HQ, I think, but not useless by a long shot.

The Daemons Daemon Prince is Be'lakor-lite. Same strategy, essentially, without Be'lakor's sweet sword. Not as reliable with rolling the Telepathy powers I'd like, but that's how it goes. Gotta get something useful with 3 rolls on the table. The Grimoire can be used to buff my Daemonettes/Seekers so they can hopefully survive some pie plates and get to assault. It could also be used on one of the other flying daemons, in case they finish off a Knight and find themselves gliding out in the open.

The Cultists make up for low model count per unit with total model count. 40 of them should be annoying enough to deal with, if they sit back and hold objectives.

The Daemonettes actually have a shot at dealing damage to the Knights. They will hopefully arrive with the Seekers, for 3 blobs of bitches with Rending, ready to tear stuff apart.

The Seekers are there to rend and also to get the Daemonettes on the table. Icon/Instrument should allow for this. With a Grimoire buff, they can survive some shooting and move quickly into position. Debating whether or not I want to Outflank them, it depends on my enemy's deployment, I guess.

The Heldrakes will be doing what they always do. Vector Striking everything possible, with a Hades Autocannon to shoot at whatever facing isn't shielded. I took one with a Baleflamer to deal with any Eldar infantry on the table, but I may switch both to Hades because the Knights are harder to take out, and the cheapo Daemon Prince can probably wipe a squad of Eldar troops on his own.

The Maulerfiends are probably going to die before they do anything, but if they make it to close combat they have a pretty good chance at doing some damage. They can also chase after the Knights and their 12" movement, not being bothered by any intervening cover.

So, there we have it! Bring it on, Knights!

If expanded to 3,000 Points:

HQ: CSM:

Warlord: Kharn the Betrayer
Daemon Prince: Wings, Armor, Mark of Tzeentch, Mastery Level 3 (1 on Tzeentch, 2 on Telepathy)

HQ: Daemons

Be'lakor
Daemon Prince: Wings, Armor, Daemon of Tzeentch, Mastery Level 3 (all on Telepathy)

TROOPS: CSM:

Cultists x10
Cultists x10
Cultists x10
Cultists x10

TROOPS: Daemons

Daemonettes x20
Daemonettes x20

FAST ATTACK: CSM:

Heldrake: Hades Autocannon
Dreadclaw Drop Pod

FAST ATTACK: Daemons

Seekers of Slaanesh x10: Heartseeker, Icon, Instrument

Havocs x9: 4x Meltaguns, Melta bombs on champ <= Joined by Kharn & deployed in Dreadclaw
Fire Raptor: Reaper Batteries x2, Daemonic Possession

#8 ·
Hey, I'll contribute!! Mind you I am brand new, and play for fun, I love theme lists, everything I do is fluff based, if not in the fetile stages, but still, the army has to have a relationship and story.

Here is my main list:

HQ:

Terminator Chaos Lord
Mark of Nurgle
Sigil of corruption
Terminator Armour
Combi-Melta
Power Sword
Blight Grenades

Sorcerer
2x Additional Mastery Level
Mark of Nurgle
Terminator Armour
Combi-bolter
Force Weapon

Troops:

Plague Marines x7
x2 Plasma
Champ w/PW

Plague Marines x7
x2 Plasma
Champ w/PW

Plague Marines x7
x2 Plasma
Champ w/PW

Plague Marines x7
x2 Flamer
champ w/PF
Rhino

Plague Marines x7
x2 Melta
champ w/PF
Rhino

Heavy Support:

Obliterators x3
MoN

Havocs x7
x2 ML
x2 HB
MoN
Champ w/PW

My 100% Nurgle army, tons of plague, all the time. Not sure on how to define the strategy other than obviously infantry based tactics. Trudging across the board and tossing as much firepower at them as I can, tons of redundancy, and I feel like it has a few tricks up it's sleeve with the sorcerer.

Also working on a close combat oriented Khorne army, painted up in silver and gold armor, but the list is still a WIP so I will post that before I make a fool of myself, haha.

#9 · (Edited)
Hey, I'll contribute!! Mind you I am brand new, and play for fun, I love theme lists, everything I do is fluff based, if not in the fetile stages, but still, the army has to have a relationship and story.

Here is my main list...
A very rotten list, indeed. Sounds fun as hell to play :).

Here's one I just came up with: 3000 point Crimson Slaughter/Allied Chaos Space Marines List:
** This list uses a 25 pt cost for the Divination Relic, and I randomly guessed 30 pt cost for the Dark Apostle Maul relic. If I'm off, I'll swap out Cultists. It sounds fun as hell to play, on paper.

HQ:CRIMSON SLAUGHTER:

Warlord: Be'lakor
Sorcerer: Mastery Level 3, Divination Relic, Spell Familiar, Force Maul, Sigil of Corruption
Dark Apostle: Mark of Tzeentch, CS Maul Relic, Veterans of the Long War

HQ: CHAOS SPACE MARINES:

Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Axe of Blind Fury, Sigil of Corruption, Melta Bombs

TROOPS: CRIMSON SLAUGHTER:

Cultists x30: 3x Heavy Stubber <-- Joined by Dark Apostle
Cultists x20
Cultists x10
Chaos Space Marines x10: Replace Bolters w/CCW, Mark of Khorne, 2x Meltagun, Icon of Wrath, Rhino

TROOPS: CHAOS SPACE MARINES:

Cultists x10

ELITES: CRIMSON SLAUGHTER:

Chosen x10: Preferred Enemy, Mark of Slaanesh, Icon of Excess, Plasma Gun x5, Rhino

FAST ATTACK: CRIMSON SLAUGHTER:

Heldrake w/ Baleflamer
Heldrake w/ Baleflamer

FAST ATTACK: CHAOS SPACE MARINES:

Spawn x5 <-- Joined by Juggerlord

HEAVY SUPPORT: CRIMSON SLAUGHTER:

Havocs x10: Mark of Tzeentch, 4x Lascannon <-- Joined by Sorcerer
Maulerfiend w/ Magma Cutters

FORTIFICATIONS:

Aegis Defense Line: Quad Gun <-- Manned by Sorcerer

SHOOTIN' THE BREEZE:

As I said before, this list sounds really fun.

Be'lakor seems like the perfect warlord. He misses out on the fun CS traits, but -1 to Fear tests. Since every unit in my main detachment has Fear, along with the Spawn, there are going to be a lot of Fear tests during this game. Telepathy stuff will ensue, business as usual.

A total of 80 scoring units (70 Cultists, 10 CSM) sounds awesome. For the Cultists, at least the 2 units of 10 will be marching across the board to capture/contest and act as pawns. If they draw fire away from the heavy hitters, good. If not, they get to do stuff. The unit of 30 will be camping on the home objective. The Heavy Stubbers aren't tremendously good at causing damage, but if I need to ground a FMC 9 shots is a good chance to roll a 6. The CSM squad is for anti-vehicle/close combat duty.

The Dark Apostle will be a sort of Fearless nexus for the Cultists and Sorc/Havocs behind the ADL. The Sorc will be shootin' the Quad Gun, casting Prescience on the Havocs, and hopefully Forewarning when needed, for a 3+ Invuln save thanks to their MoT. Perfect Timing would be great, because 4 twin-linked, cover-ignoring Lascannons have gotta suck for the opponent.

The Juggerlord and Spawn are there to rape whatever needs to be raped in close combat. Be'lakor will probably be casting Invisibility on them.

The Chosen are going to chuck shitloads of plasma shots into whatever needs killing. Mark of Slaanesh is there to grant access to the Icon of Excess, as I know those guns will be getting hot, so their 3+/5+ FNP is going to help them stick around. If they do end up in combat, +1 Initiative and their in-built close combat weapons are gonna be nice. Rhino for mobility. The Preferred Enemy buff is also going to be crucial here, because I get to reroll any 1s to hit/Gets Hot.

The Maulerfiend is a pawn of sorts, as well. If they deal with it, fine, but if not, it's gonna be ripping some armor apart ASAP.

The Fire Raptor shoots things. The Heldrakes vector strike/burn things. That's what those do.

#12 ·
I've seen a rumor that the Divination relic comes with built-in Spell Familiar functionality (at the cost of no Deny the Witch bonuses for the sorc), which might actually make it worth the points cost, in my eyes!

#16 · (Edited)
Well, @Mossy Toes and @MidnightSun, based on our convo in the other thread I wrote up a 6 Juggerlord list for 2500 (2503) points:

Chaos Space Marines allied with Crimson Slaughter

HQ: CHAOS SPACE MARINES:

Warlord: Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Axe of Blind Fury, Sigil of Corruption, Melta Bombs
Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Burning Brand of Skalathrax, Lightning Claw, Sigil of Corruption
Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Power Fist, Lightning Claw, Sigil of Corruption
Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Power Fist, Lightning Claw, Sigil of Corruption

HQ: CRIMSON SLAUGHTER

Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Blade of the Relentless, Daemonheart, Sigil of Corruption

TROOPS: CHAOS SPACE MARINES:

Chaos Space Marines x10: 2x Flamer, Rhino, Dirge Caster
Chaos Space Marines x10: 2x Flamer, Rhino, Dirge Caster
Cultists x20
Cultists x20

TROOPS: CRIMSON SLAUGHTER

Cultists x19
Cultists x10

FAST ATTACK: CHAOS SPACE MARINES

Spawn x5 <-- joined by Warlord + 1 Fisticlaws Juggerlord
Bikers x3: 2x Plasma Gun <-- joined by Burning Brand Juggerlord

FAST ATTACK: CRIMSON SLAUGHTER

Bikers x3: Mark of Khorne, Icon of Wrath, 2x Meltagun <-- joined by Crimson Slaughter Juggerlords
Bikers x3: Mark of Khorne, Icon of Wrath, 2x Meltagun <-- joined by 1 Fisticlaws Juggerlord

HEAVY SUPPORT: CHAOS SPACE MARINES

SHITS 'N GIGGLES, INDEED!

#21 · (Edited)
Woot, I finally got to play a game last night. It's been months since I've had the chance.

It wasn't even with my army. My buddies built 2 gaming tables and are trying to get some home games going, now that our local GW store changed managers. We're still close friends with the old manager, so there's no reason for us to return to GW when we can play whilst imbibing, smoking, and gratuitously using foul language.

Anyway, I played some sort of Iron Hands Space Marine list. 1500 points with another Iron Hands teammate at 1500, playing against Grey Knights and Tau.

I don't remember every upgrade or piece of wargear, but here's what I remember of my list:

HQ:

Chapter Master: Shield Eternal, Thunder Hammer, Jump Pack
Honor Guard x6: Power Axes, Storm Shields, Jump Packs

TROOPS:

Space Marine Squad x6: Plasma Gun, Combi-plasma
Space Marine Squad x6: Plasma Gun

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Predator: Tri-las
Predator: Tri-las
Devastator Centurions: 3x Grav guns and grav amp, omniscope
Land Raider Redeemer: Multimelta <-- dedicated transport for Centurions

We ended up winning, but we only played through 3 turns. Just got too late and we had to call it. We still would have won, because we had 2 Stormtalons in reserve, all of our troops were at full strength, and we killed both enemy warlords.

Best part of the game was using the grav centurions. Fucking DEVASTATED a squad of 10 GK Terminators. Absolutely obscene. I had read about using Grav Centurions to great effect on forums repeatedly, so once my friend gave me his SM codex and cases of miniatures to choose from, I knew what I was gonna do right away. They got wiped by Commander Farsight, but they easily won us the game by erasing that squad which arrived by deep strike right in front of our objective holders.

#22 ·
Sounds like a fun game. Also sounds like an ideal situation for Grav Centurions--as nice as they are, I wouldn't rely on getting such a ripe plum of a target for picking in every game. That they were one uber-unit, that the opponent was Grey Knights not TH/SS SM, that...

Though they might well be able to roll face on a Riptide or such with similar ease.

#24 · (Edited)
And now, a 2500 point Slaaneshi/Be'lakor List

HQ:

Be'lakor <-- Warlord
Chaos Lord: Mark of Slaanesh, Steed of Slaanesh, Sigil of Corruption, Power Fist, Lightning Claw, Gift of mutation
Sorcerer: Mark of Slaanesh, Steed of Slaanesh, Mastery Level 3, Sigil of Corruption, Burning Brand of Skalathrax, Force Maul

TROOPS:

Cultists x10
Cultists x12
Noise Marines x10: 2x Blastmasters, Icon of Excess
Noise Marines x10: 2x Blastmasters, Icon of Excess

ELITES:

Chosen x10: Mark of Slaanesh, 5x Plasma Guns, Combi-plasma on champ, Icon of Excess <-- Joined by Sorcerer

FAST ATTACK:

Bikers x7: Mark of Slaanesh, 2x Meltaguns, Combi-melta on champ, Icon of Excess <-- Joined by Lord
Heldrake w/ Baleflamer
Heldrake w/ Baleflamer

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Havocs x5: Mark of Nurgle, 4x Lascannons

FORTIFICATIONS:

Havocs and at least 1 unit of Noise Marines behind the ADL, Havoc champ on the gun.

Lord outflanks the bikers to attempt to deal with any armor with meltas/fist, or infantry.

Sorc outflanks the Chosen to pour a ton of plasma shots + Burning Brand template onto whatever they want.

Cultists just run up the field to contest, tarpit, and get killed.

Be'lakor as warlord because he's the most survivable and probably won't be in combat unless it's with an ideal enemy (dreadnought, etc). Invisible on one of the outflanked units, probably the Chosen. Puppet Master, Hallucination, blah blah blah.

#25 ·
And now, an Abaddon/Daemons list! 2500 points:

HQ: CSM

Abaddon the Despoiler <-- Warlord

HQ: DAEMONS

Herald of Tzeentch: Exalted Reward (Grimoire)

TROOPS: CSM

Cultists x22

TROOPS: DAEMONS

Pink Horrors x20

ELITES: CSM

Chaos Terminators x10: Mark of Tzeentch, 3 Power Mauls, 7 Power Swords, 9 Combi-plasma <-- Joined by Abaddon

FAST ATTACK: CSM

Spartan Assault Tank: Armoured Ceramite <-- Abaddon/Terminators Embarked

HEAVY SUPPORT: DAEMONS

Soulgrinder: Daemon of Nurgle, Phelgm Bombardment

FORTIFICATIONS:

Aegis Defense Line: Quad Gun <-- manned by Herald of Tzeentch

#26 ·
Happy Stupid Fun Helbrute List: 2500 Crimson Slaughter: 3000 Points in Yellow

HQ:

Sorcerer: Mastery Level 3, Balestar of Mannon, Sigil of Corruption, Force Maul
Warpsmith: Mark of Tzeentch, Aura of Dark Glory

TROOPS:

Cultists x10, x19
Chaos Space Marines x10: 2x Plasma Guns, Rhino; Mark of Khorne, Icon of Wrath, 2x Meltaguns, 2x CCW for meltagunners, trade Bolters for CCW, Rhino

FAST ATTACK:

HEAVY SUPPORT:

DETACHMENT 1: HELCULT FORMATION

Helbrute: Lascannon, Missile Launcher
Cultists x20: Heavy Stubber
Cultists x20: Heavy Stubber

DETACHMENT 2: MAYHEM PACK FORMATION

Helbrute: Multimelta, Power Fist, Heavy Flamer

DETACHMENT 3: MURDERPACK FORMATION

Helbrute Champion: Lascannon, Missile Launcher

FORTIFICATION:

SO MUCH SHOOTING! PEW PEW PEW! BOOOOOOM! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG! CRUNCH.

#27 · (Edited)
Be'Slaaneshi:

Any particular reason you're not going Crimson Slaughter here? Free fear, Possibly Balestar on the Sorc, Daemonheart on the fisticlaws lord, Draznicht's Ravagers on the Chosen... (hmm. Prescience+Preferred Enemy is a bit less effective. Could ally in the Sorc and one squad of Cultists to keep access to the Burning Brand...).

Dunno that you need MoN on the Havocs, but that's personal preference.

Abbadaemons (Abbadabbadoo?):

Not familiar with the Spartan's rules, but that's... uh... quite a deathstar unit.

I might consider taking a Lord of Change instead of a Herald, & Plaguebearers instead of Horrors.

HSFHL:

That Murderpack will absolutely murder a squad per turn. I recommend at least one or two guys keep a power fist, though, so you have a way to deal with big enemies trying to tie you up in melee.

Not familiar with Fire Raptors. A Forge World unit?

I'd consider running one of those Forgefiends as triple EPC, if just for the more AP2 shooting.

Fun lists, all. Very creative. Stuff like this is why I appreciate the amount of support and expansions GW is giving the CSM codex.

#28 ·
Be'Slaaneshi:

Any particular reason you're not going Crimson Slaughter here? Free fear, Possibly Balestar on the Sorc, Daemonheart on the fisticlaws lord, Draznicht's Ravagers on the Chosen... (hmm. Prescience+Preferred Enemy is a bit less effective. Could ally in the Sorc and one squad of Cultists to keep access to the Burning Brand...).
It was pretty much all for the Burning Brand. Since the Slaaneshi Sorc's primary purpose is to Outflank the Chosen, and they're gonna be shooting, I figure he has nearly the same range they do with it. They'll hopefully be in rapid fire range, so he can drop the whole template onto a squad. Although, they would have to shoot at the same target, so the brand might not do as much good if they're shooting at some 2+ stuff like Riptides.

Divination would twin-link either the Chosen or the Bikers/Lord if they outflank on the same edge. Only useful in close combat, since their bolters are already twin-linked and they won't be charging that turn. Though, if I used Divination on the Chosen, they wouldn't have to take the Preferred Enemy buff and they could re-roll every single miss, not just 1s. Any of the Divination powers would be useful on them.

Maybe CS is the way to go...

Dunno that you need MoN on the Havocs, but that's personal preference.
Yeah, I guess most of the time any blasts being dropped behind the ADL are strength 7+ so they would get wounded on 2s anyway. Might as well conserve some points. If I drop the MoN and combi guns on the aspiring champions, I can give the Lord the Slaughterer's Horns and Daemonheart. I don't like the Blade of the Relentless all that much, I think I'd rather have the Fist/Claw and good buffs.

Abbadaemons (Abbadabbadoo?):

Not familiar with the Spartan's rules, but that's... uh... quite a deathstar unit.

I might consider taking a Lord of Change instead of a Herald, & Plaguebearers instead of Horrors.
It was just a points issue. Cheap Prescience and a blob of objective holders for him to join who can shoot if anything gets too close. Plagues are better but the lord couldn't join them. The extra points for the Lord of Change would cut into the other units.

I did screw up and had 25 points left over, figure I'll get another mastery level on the Herald.

HSFHL:

That Murderpack will absolutely murder a squad per turn. I recommend at least one or two guys keep a power fist, though, so you have a way to deal with big enemies trying to tie you up in melee.

Not familiar with Fire Raptors. A Forge World unit?

I'd consider running one of those Forgefiends as triple EPC, if just for the more AP2 shooting.
Power Fists definitely not a bad idea, especially on the champ who can challenge someone out.

Fire Raptor is a FW flyer. 4 S6 AP3 shots from the nose gun, reaper batteries on each side which are S7 AP4 with 4 shots each. Can split my fire between the nose gun and 2 side batteries. It also has S8 missiles, but they're ordinance so I'd have to snap shot everything else.

If I take out 2 Missile Launchers from the brutes, I can give the CSM Aspiring Champion a Lightning Claw. I don't really have anyone else for killing sergeants up the field, so he might as well have a good shot at it. Can also add 1 more Cultist.

#29 · (Edited)
Here we go, finally going to play a doozy of a game this coming Wednesday against my buddy who plays Space Marines. Most likely Iron Hands chapter tactics.

4002 point list:

Crimson Slaughter/Chaos Space Marines List:

HQ: CRIMSON SLAUGHTER:

Be'lakor: <== Warlord
Dark Apostle: Mark of Tzeentch, Crozius of the Dark Covenant
Sorcerer: Mastery Level 3, Sigil of Corruption, Bike, Force Sword <== joins whatever unit makes the most sense to keep Invisible up on the Juggerlord/Spawn or use Telepathy powers aggressively.

HQ: CHAOS SPACE MARINES

Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Sigil of Corruption, Axe of Blind Fury, Melta bombs

Cultists x20 <== joined by Dark Apostle
Cultists x19
Chaos Space Marines x10: 2x Meltaguns, Combi-melta on Champ, Rhino with Dirge Caster
Chaos Space Marines x10: 2x Plasma Guns, Rhino

TROOPS: CHAOS SPACE MARINES

Cultists x10

ELITES: CRIMSON SLAUGHTER

Chosen x10: Mark of Slaanesh, Draznicht's Ravagers, Icon of Excess, 5x Plasma Guns, Rhino with Dirge Caster

Heldrake with Baleflamer
Heldrake with Baleflamer

Spawn x5: <== joined by Juggerlord

HEAVY SUPPORT: CRIMSON SLAUGHTER

Havocs x10: 4x Lascannons, Mark of Slaanesh, Icon of Excess <== joined by Sorcerer

Maulerfiend

FORTIFICATIONS:

FORMATIONS:

Helbrute Mayhem Pack: 3x Multimeltas, 3x Power fists

So I'm expecting to go up against 3 Stormtalons and 1 Stormraven, 5 Tri-las predators, and probably a devastator squad or 2 with Lascannons. Probably also a Mortis Contemptor with 2 twin linked lascannons. He usually brings a minimal number of Troops, so I'll be trying to exploit that if it happens again. I also expect a Chapter Master on a bike with Shield Eternal (or Gorgon's Chain if Iron Hands) and a thunder hammer, and a squad of biker honor guard with storm shields and power axes.

Not gonna be an easy game, by any stretch of the imagination. If possible, I'll Puppet Master the Mortis Contemptor and blast one of his ships out of the air. Or use his Predators against each other. However, Be'lakor is going to be the priority target for pretty much all of his guns. He's seen what the dark master can do if left unchecked. 2+ cover save all day long, luckily. If it's an objectives-based game that doesn't have scoring heavy support, I'm pretty sure I've got this game based on objectives, but we'll see if that's actually how it goes. The volume of lascannons he throws at me is really painful.

Luckily, I have 5 Obliterators pumping out 5 lascannon shots every other turn, and 4 havocs which will be twin-linked thanks to the Divination Sorc, and hopefully cover-ignoring as well if I get lucky with my rolls.

I'd prefer avoiding his Chapter Master/Bikes with my Juggerlord and Spawn and throw them at units that I know I can annihilate. With all those invuln saves, the Spawn would be utterly wasted. Of course, they'll have Invisible on them from Be'lakor, so that could even things out a bit. Still, best not to expose them to so much danger.

The Maulerfiend will probably go down on turn 1, but its purpose is to be a fire magnet anyhow. Otherwise, it's a beeline for the Mortis in hopes of smashing it apart.

If I place the Dark Apostle properly, every infantry unit behind the ADL will be Fearless.

The Biker Sorc is for Telepathy, to overlap or double up on powers Be'lakor would be using. This way, I have a unit who can move a great distance across the board, actually join a unit to get ablative wounds, and be able to use Telepathy powers aggressively or allow the more valuable Be'lakor to sit back a bit and make the enemy fliers come to him, revealing their rear armor.

#30 · (Edited)

Sorcerer: Mastery Level 3, Sigil of Corruption, Bike, Force Sword <== joins whatever unit makes the most sense to keep Invisible up on the Juggerlord/Spawn or use Telepathy powers aggressively.

Chaos Lord: Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut, Sigil of Corruption, Axe of Blind Fury, Melta bombs

Cultists x19
Chaos Space Marines x10: 2x Meltaguns, Combi-melta on Champ, Rhino with Dirge Caster
Chaos Space Marines x10: 2x Plasma Guns, Rhino

Cultists x10

Chosen x10: Mark of Slaanesh, Draznicht's Ravagers, Icon of Excess, 5x Plasma Guns, Rhino with Dirge Caster

Heldrake with Baleflamer
Heldrake with Baleflamer

Havocs x10: 4x Lascannons, Mark of Slaanesh, Icon of Excess <== joined by Sorcerer

Maulerfiend

FORTIFICATIONS:

FORMATIONS:

I've revised the list as follows, with new changes in yellow:

Sorcerer: Mastery Level 3, Sigil of Corruption, Spell Familiar, Bike, Force Sword <== joins whatever unit makes the most sense to keep Invisible up on the Juggerlord/Spawn or use Telepathy powers aggressively.

Cultists x15
Chaos Space Marines x5: 1x Plasma Gun, Rhino

Cultists x10

Chosen x10: Mark of Slaanesh, Draznicht's Ravagers, Icon of Excess, 5x Meltaguns, Rhino with Dirge Caster

Heldrake with Baleflamer
Heldrake with Hades Autocannon
Bikers x3: Mark of Nurgle, 2x Meltagun <== joined by Biker Sorc if he needs to peel away from Juggerlord/Spawn and join a unit with the same cover save and T6.

Maulerfiend

FORTIFICATIONS:

FORMATIONS:

I figure this iteration of the army is better because it replaces the plasmaspam chosen with meltaspam, which should ultimately be more effective at blowing up armor. The reduction of 1 marine squad seemed like a good trade for more points, which ultimately led to the addition of a nurgle biker squad with meltas. If nothing else, they're a fast-moving distraction unit that has anti-tank capabilities if left alone.

3 rhinos, Juggerlord+spawn, <=Biker Sorc=>, bikers, and a maulerfiend should be plenty to deal with, despite all the lascannons being blasted at them. Maybe that will allow my prescienced havocs who hopefully have ignore cover to pick off a tank every turn (if I'm lucky).

I replaced one Heldrake's baleflamer with the hades because I think it would throw my opponent off if suddenly they pose a threat to his flyers. If I get really lucky, I can pop the Stormraven in 1 turn and kill all the occupants in the crash. I love doing that.

#31 ·
Keep it coming, man, lots of good ideas. the melta ravagers are something to think about...

#32 ·
Glad you're ejoying my musings over lists, Nef.

The melta chosen are great. The delivery is really the only issue, I think. Their Rhino will probably be the first thing that will get destroyed. They pose a significant threat to any armor on the board, but really need to get 6" away to guarantee destruction. Although, any pen needs only a 4+ to explode. Out of 5 shots rerolling 1s, the odds aren't horrible even at 12".

But, what alternatives are there to the Rhino? Chuck a Land Raider into the list for them them at 230 points to keep these guys alive? Sort of takes a huge bite out of the points. The Dreadclaw drop pod is a decent option, but it eats up a fast attack slot. At double force org, that doesn't really matter too much. But really, the earliest they'd be able to deploy is turn 2, then they need to zoom across the board, then survive a turn of shooting, so turn 3 at the earliest they're killing vehicles. That's not ideal.

With 10 chosen and FNP, unless they get insta-wrecked and then have Ap3 rained on them, they can take a couple more wounds than otherwise. I'll charge the 2 marine-laden rhinos first and block line of sight to the chosen rhino, then split them up when it's time to let the chosen out.

#36 ·
Too bad you called the game at 3rd turn, i guess you would have won. Really not impressed by your buddy's list :wink:
a shame the meltaspam did nothing, i hoped for a test before i myself fielded them :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.