Are the Tier boosts worth it?

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

Are the Tier boosts worth it?

Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

#1 Old 05-30-11, 11:54 PM Are the Tier boosts worth it?
Azkaellon
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Default Are the Tier boosts worth it?

Ok i have to ask, are the Teir boost for themed army's worth it? Epic Lyliths seems pretty damn good but im just not sure!
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 05-31-11, 12:39 AM Are the Tier boosts worth it?
maddermax
maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Weeeell.... they are very worth it, except, of course, for when they aren't.

Mostly, the tier builds are just about giving you extra options for how to build your army, rather than giving you any sort of boost, and indeed most of them have more weaknesses because of their restrictions than strengths due to the bonuses. However, some tier lists are quite competitive, and very fun to play. I'm not sure how Elyliths list plays, but if it looks good to you, perhaps it's reasonably strong.

Still, I usually wouldn't recommend aiming for a tier list until you had enough models for a general mix-n-match army, especially if you're a newer player. The restrictions on what you can take, and often having to take multiples of units that won't work well with other casters can really limit you if your just starting to collect. That said, if you only have to swap out a couple of models to make your general list into a tier list, then I say go for it.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 05-31-11 at 01:41 AM.

#3 Old 05-31-11, 01:12 AM Are the Tier boosts worth it?
Azkaellon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddermax View Post
They are very worth it, except when they aren't.

Mostly, the tier builds are just about giving you extra options for how to build your army, rather than giving you any sort of boost, and indeed most of them have more weaknesses because of their restrictions than strengths due to the bonuses. However, some tier lists are quite competitive, and very fun to play. I usually wouldn't recommend aiming for a tier list until you had enough models for a general mix-n-match army, especially if your a newer player. That said, if you only have to swap out a couple of models to make your general list into a tier list, then I say go for it.
Ok i will post up my new list idea's that match there tier...in my 35pt Thread, please let me know what you think im not sure which to go with!

#4 Old 05-31-11, 07:26 AM Are the Tier boosts worth it?
elmir
elmir's Flag is: Belgium

In 95% of the tier lists, the bonusses are there to compensate for the weaknesses or lack of options you have when using these "FAAC type" builds.

If you want a fluffy, laid back game, tier lists are awesome. If you want to have a more competitive game, tier lists generally lack some punch compared normal builds.

But it's a great way to have a game that doesn't always use supertuned lists. If both you and your oponent decide to use a tier army, you can have some awesome games totally in line with the fluff (if you have sufficient models for it, tier lists often requires 2 or more units of the same kind).

#5 Old 05-31-11, 09:24 AM Are the Tier boosts worth it?
Azkaellon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmir View Post
In 95% of the tier lists, the bonusses are there to compensate for the weaknesses or lack of options you have when using these "FAAC type" builds.

If you want a fluffy, laid back game, tier lists are awesome. If you want to have a more competitive game, tier lists generally lack some punch compared normal builds.

But it's a great way to have a game that doesn't always use supertuned lists. If both you and your oponent decide to use a tier army, you can have some awesome games totally in line with the fluff (if you have sufficient models for it, tier lists often requires 2 or more units of the same kind).
Ya take a look at the 35pt lists i posted the two im really thinking about now are Teir since they let me abuse Big beasts, Then again Epic Lyllith is pretty awesome of a model....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion