Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Rawrghs Tyranid Horde

28K views 65 replies 25 participants last post by  rawrgh 
#1 · (Edited)
With the start of the 2011 Army Painting Challenge so starts my Tyranid Plog

Tyranids were originally a side army to my Dark Angels but they have rapidly become my favorite, and if I keep to the challenge by this time next year hopefully I'll hve a sizeale painted army.

Anyway heres the army as a whole

Picture is a bit out of date now, I'll retake one next time I get all the models out

We have:

To Do
1 Hive Tyrant
2 Zoanthropes
1 Venomthrope
1 Old Style Zoanthrope
5 Tyranid Warriors
11 Termagants w/fleshborers
12 Termagants with Devourers
16 Hormagaunts
7 old spacehulk Genestealers
3 Raveners
2 Trygons
2 Biovores

Completed (as of 27/02/2011)
1 Tervigon
1 Tyranid Prime
20 Termagants w/fleshborers
4 Hiveguard
8 Genestealers
1 Broodlord

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
OK heres the start of my Termagants. All colours are Vallejo Game Colour unless otherwise specified.

Undercoat with Citadel Skull White spray

Spray on a coat of Bonewhite (Bleached bone in GW colours)

GW Gryphonne Sepia wash. I apply a heavy wash first and then once its dry touch it up where necessary,

Drybrush Bonewhite

Light drybrush of bonewhite/White (50:50)

And thats the body done. I do all this as a batch of 10, but from here on in I work in 2s or 3s

I paint the gun GW Orkhide Shade and the armour plates black
The hooves and claws get a coat of GW Chardon Granite, and the tongue if there is one gets picked out in GW Hormagaunt Purple

Next is another load of washes - Black for the gun and Mud to hooves & claws and the teeth/mouth & eyes

Now I apply the feathering to the armour plates
- Start with 50:50 mix of Hawk Turquise & black
- Next is straight Hawk Turquise
- Lastly a 50:50 mix of Hawk Turquise and stonewall Grey
With finer and finer feathering at each stage as shown (poorly) below

Good closeup of the "Ooops" on the back of this guys head here. Will have to sort that out

Teeth are piched out in bonewhite and highlightied with a 50:50 mix of bonewhite and white nd then finally white
Highlight the guns with Sick Green
Claws are highlighted with a mix of GW Chardon Granite & Khemri Brown and the hooves are slightly feathered with the same.
Eyes are painted mechrite red then higlighted with blood red
Tongue is layerer with GW Hormagaunt purple and then highlighted with Warlord Purple.

And thats it 1 painted Termagant ready for basing. Just 9 more to go now :p

#9 ·
Love it! I think that I mentioned in your thread where you built the Tervigon I really love the color scheme! The skin and the carapace work well together. Thanks for the step-by-step, as I love to see other folks process. Keep the horde coming... I might motivate me to work on my own:biggrin: +rep

#11 ·
I really like your Gants! I still haven't forced myself to buckle down and paint all of mine. I like what you have done on the fleshborers with the green outlining, it makes them pop nicely. Good looking stuff!

#12 ·
I know the thought of how many more of these I've got to paint is worrying....

Only another 11 Termagants to go, but i'd like a squad of Devilgants and could probably do with at least 1 more box of standards. (may get another battleforce actually)

Plus the the Hormagaunts are going to be very similar....

At least I've (almost!) got antother 10 out of the way now so next month I think I'm gonna go for something a bit more interesting. Trygon maybe or Zoan & Hiveguard.

Bigest Lessons learnt from these guys... dont stick the arms on..... painting the guns once theyre assembles is a nightmare :angry:

#14 ·
Well thats Januarys entry done

Army consists of 20 Termagants and a Tervigon now.

I was going to wait now and then start my Hiveguard for next month, but that seems kinda against the purpose of the challenge so I'm going to carry on and make a start on my Hiveguard and then maybe to a Trygon of something else for February.

For my Hiveguard I want to do somethign a bit more interesting for the base. I picked up a bottle fo Vallejo water effects on a whim a few months back and its been sat on my shelf begging me to use it since. My vision is a hive huard stood in/over a green slime pool full of skulls.

So I start attacking a base with a knife and some milliput and this is the result

The smaller bases are for me to experiment with how to get a decent slime effect. Im going to try a few different ideas

Painting green then covering with water effects
colouring the water effects with ink/paint and pouring over a brown/green base. Ill update with progress as I go on.

#15 ·
OK had a bit more of a play today for my slime pools and heres the results

Right after adding the water effects

2 hours later

1 & 2 were covered in "Javis Extra fine Ballast"
3 was covered with fine sand (budgy sand for pet shop)
4 & 5 had ballast put in a ring around the edge

All the sand was painted charred brown and then drybrushed with Earth and then bonewhite (same as my Gant bases)

The middles of 4 & 5 were based with Orkhide shade then highlghted with OHS/sick green then sick green around the edges.

Now for the water effects

1 was with mutation green p;aint added
2 was with sick green paint added
3 was Thrakka green ink added
4 was just the water effects
5 was Thrakka green ink added again

Theyre going to take a while longer to fully cure and I think I need to add another layer
It seems the water effects doesn't like the paint and it shrinks to nothing almost so that pretty much rules out 1 & 2

3 looks OK but my favorite is 4, only thing is if i was to put something in the slime (like skulls) I would need to paint them to make the look green through the slime which may make 5 a bette roption but possibly with more extreme highlights or less ink in the water effects.

I smell more experiments :)

#17 ·
Arrrghhhh... scream... curse....

Water effects are very annoying....
while it looks ok in the photos, once fully dried itseems to shrink... a lot and ends up with a little hole in the middle.

6 layers or so later and I think its finally gone, I'll find out when I get home from work.

The effect is good, but takes a long time.

Reading around it seems a 2 part lear resin is a better solution but I really dont think I'm going to do this much and Ive got a bottle full of the valllejo stuff already so I guess I'll just persevere slowly for the 2 or 3 bases I want to do like this.

#18 ·
You are inspiring me good sir to actually start getting squads completed with base and all. I think I will start a simular thing and set a goal for each month to get something done that month. I also want to try getting a few of those tuffs of grass on my marsh nids, that and some watery effect would finish out the four I have done and for the rest that fallow.

#19 ·
Quick update hile im waiting for stuff to dry....

I went for the painting the green on the bottom of the pool and then a quick coat of water effects dyed with thrakka green jsut to put some colour over the skulls. Then I filled the rest up with clear water effects slowly over a day or too. The effects not too bad.

Been working on my first Hiveguard the last few days to go with the base too. I've pretty much finished the body

But I wasn't really sure what colour to do the gun.
My first thoughts was green like the Gants fleshborers with yellow detail but I'm not sure if thats going to be quite right

I'm happy with the green gun but not that sure about the yellow. Maybe itll look better when its all shaded and highlighted. Reds another option but Im afraid that will look a bit too christmassy :biggrin:

#21 ·
Again I am going to comment on how striking your blue carapace is against your skin tone, absolutely stunning! I also really like how your bases have turned out with using the water effects, good job mate!

As to the gun; I think that the green will work well against the model. I am so-so on the yellow but I have been trying to visualize it highlighted up and I think that a lighter yellow will work. I would definitely shy away from red though. With your color scheme it will look too christmassy as you already mentioned.

Good work mate!

#23 ·
I agree. The green on the cannon worked out very nicely indeed. The only suggestion that I have would be to do something on the claws and hooves. Perhaps some gray highlights to bring them out a bit. Other than that great work mate!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.