What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > General Warhammer

General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?

General Warhammer

#1 Old 07-19-10, 08:39 PM What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?
morfangdakka
Spored to be Wild
morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Default What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?

So I have been considering getting into Fantasy but with the new edition and the pdf's up. I don't want to start an army that is going to put me a major disadvantage right from the start. It doesn't have to be the uberstrong but competitive would be nice. I wanted your opinions of what are the top armies right now in your opinion?

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 07-19-10, 09:26 PM What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?
AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH
AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

High Elves, Skaven, Empire, Dark Elves, Daemons and Lizardmen are pretty tough in 8th and VC should not be sniffed at. These are the biggest dogs in the kennel now IMO, but WoC, Beastmen, Tomb Kings and OnG are very playable too. Ogres continue to be rather underwhelming and Wood Elves and Brettonia are really lacking their former powers.

But this is just my opinion and experience so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.

#3 Old 07-19-10, 09:50 PM What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?
Whizzwang
Whizzwang's Flag is: United Kingdom

8th ed has been out what? a week? 2? and you're after top tier already?

no such thing, wait for a few weeks for the environment to settle down.

Strongest army on the magic offensive at the moment is probably Lizardmen, POwer dice are at even more of a premium than before so a free dice for every spell anmd acess to the lore of death to regen power dice is incredibly strong. Other than that? it's anyone;s guess.

So many major cahnges and tweaks that need to be played withm do you go horde or steadfast? how many lords, heroes, rares etc DO you take now? what about new magic item interactions.

You won't see any clear TOP TIER armies for quite a while, in fact not until a decent size tournament or the GT season is my guess.

The Infernal Council of the Lord of Nine Tzeentch C:SM Project Log

#4 Old 07-19-10, 10:32 PM What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?
KhainiteAssassin
KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

I would say 1. pick 3 or 4 armies tops that you might want to play, or give us your personal style you are LOOKING for in fantasy. from there we can tell you the best Army for that choice.

Bretonia and Woodelves took a serious hit though with the new rules. Vampire counts are still powerful but they are not the OP annoyances of 100000 power / dispell dice they were in 7th

hoarde races as skaven got a good boost, though skaven still lost to my powerhouse Khornate in 2000 so.
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.

#5 Old 07-19-10, 10:49 PM What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator
Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I recon skaven, high elves, dwarves and empire are fighting it out for top spot.
Next probably comes dark elves, lizzies, the vamp counts and WoC
Middling armies include Ogres, OnG, DoC and beastmen
Leaving brets and WE on the bottom rung.

I have no idea where TK fit anymore

My idea of the tier system is based on my own experience, as well as what other people have been saying... although Im sure we'll all find certain placements are totally wrong. I think that I may find my ogres getting stronger and stronger (except against HE... they're just sick)... but then I think doing well with an army is largely down to playstyle. If you can adapt to play a particular army then go for it, otherwise pick one that meets your style of play and you'll do well- my local GW manager is a case in point: he only knows how to attack head on. He used SW, lizzies and WoC... they work quite well for him, though when he said he might want to start a shooty/skirmish army at the end of 7th we talked him out of it... it just wouldnt suit his playstyle at all (I was staff at the time... so not quite so cheeky as it sounds).

#6 Old 07-19-10, 11:35 PM What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?
Cheese meister

why does every1 disregard brets every knight being able 2 attack pretty much and ranks of 3 bretts are still the best cav in the game and capable of breaking units on the charge

#7 Old 07-19-10, 11:49 PM What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?
Putch.
Putch.'s Flag is: Canada

Brettonian Knights arent the best cav in the game first of all, well not the basic Knights Errant, or KoTR, Sure what your saying is true, then I could easily say the same about CoKs, or Chaos knights, the size you would need for that formation to be effective is a huge cost in points, so sure there effective, and watch that 1k pt. Unit dissapear to magic and ranged by the second turn when everything aims at your great big points sink.

#8 Old 07-20-10, 08:04 AM What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?
the-graven

Well for me it's probably like this:
Top Tier: HE, Empire, Dwarves and Skaven(as long as they don't blow themselves up too much)
Little Behind Top Tier: VC, DE, WoC and Lizzie's
Middle Tier: O&G, Ogres and Beastmen
Lowest Tier: Brettonia, WE

The only one I'm having trouble with to place is DoC, DoC will fit between little behind top and middle tier, better then middle, worse then little behind top
I play Lizzie's and I'm happy they came out so well, though I still hate it that the "free dice" can't exceed the 12 dice cap.

#9 Old 07-20-10, 08:32 AM What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?
Cheese meister

i think bret are the best cav in the game now cheap to get ranks on them a smaller frontage to and very little that will truely mash them especiall when backed up by magic frm that lady or damsel in the second rank you canno see me but i can see you

#10 Old 07-20-10, 09:10 AM What are the Top Tier Armies of 8th Edition?
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator
Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese meister View Post
i think bret are the best cav in the game now cheap to get ranks on them a smaller frontage to and very little that will truely mash them especiall when backed up by magic frm that lady or damsel in the second rank you canno see me but i can see you
I think blood or chaos knights are probably still the best, simply because you can throw a unit of 5 into the enemy and know that you're likely to beat them (just might take a while)... bret cavalry is massively expensive to get working (though not as bad as everyone else to get their ranks) and relies upon the charge to destroy the enemy. If the charge fails to break them (or god forbid thr enemy charge them) then they'll be in a world of trouble... then we have the massively effective lore of metal, bolt throwers and everyone else just finding it easy to wound brets anyway...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > General Warhammer