Converting CSM's To Plague Marines

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Converting, Modelling and Green Stuff

Converting CSM's To Plague Marines

Converting, Modelling and Green Stuff

#1 Old 09-01-08, 03:26 PM Converting CSM's To Plague Marines
Commissar_riptor
Your Mums wet dream
Commissar_riptor's Flag is: Scotland
Default Converting CSM's To Plague Marines

List of "Apparatus" you will need

Pin vice drill
Craft knife
guitar strings (Bass guitar strings work better since theyre thicker also this is optional)
green stuff or some type of epoxy putty.
wire clippers
something thin and sharp tipped ( i used a sewing needle)

Ok all ive done here in this pic to make the big bullet hole is drill a hole into the armour jsut deep enough so it looks black at the bottem of the hole then ive stuck the craft knife into it and pulled it at the sides to make it look cracked.

For the big puss balls on his leg i drilled out 3 holes grouped close together, then with the craft knife cut the part in the middle of the 3 holes out then rolled my modelling putty into balls, start with big balls and keep getting smaller till u get the look you want.

And finally for the respirator tube i used the guitar string, i used the smallest string on my bass guitar since it wasnt too thick and not too thin. I drilled two holes for where i wished to attach each side of the string then bent it into place added a little super glue to each end to hold it in.

for this one ive used pretty much the same techniques for the big hole, for his leg i just drilled lots of holes grouped together and cut out the middle parts but instead of filling it with putty i just used the craft knife to make cracks the same way i did with the bullet hole and for his shoulder pad i put a hole at the end of the long crack on in the middle and one at the bottem then used the knife to join the holes together and then added cracks the same as the bullet holes.

now heres where it gets intresting

ok before u start the burst open nasty belly u need to have an unbuilt marine. you take the torso part of the marine and the front section u need to cut out the part under where the ribs would be and then u can build the marine as normal but dont add the arms since that will make it harder to sculpt the belly, when ur ready take ball of putty roughly the size of the belly u want, attach it then with the sewing needle, make sure its wet so the putty doesnt stick to it and ruin it, start digging a hole out of the putty this is where you'll put the guts that are hanging out, after that leave the putty around 5 mins to cure and then start rolling tiny sausage shapes small enough to fit into the hole you can also try experiment with differant shapes if u want or even have tentacles bursting out from it if thats ur thing. but most likely your going to need to stick them into the hole using the sewing needle then after you've filled the hole ahem... you can begin on sculpting details into the bellys outside i stabbed 3 circles in the shape of the nurgle symbol on and spinned the needle around a bit to give them a swollen look and i also added some veins, and puss balls but again you can experiment here and get whatever tickles you pickle here, it will take some practice to get it right and you'll probly mess up the first few times but the end results are worth it ;)

(ill add a painting tut later)

Thats all folks!

Last edited by Midge913; 02-20-12 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Replacing images from Heresy-Online Gallery
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 09-01-08, 03:42 PM Converting CSM's To Plague Marines
Totenkopfer
Totenkopfer's Flag is: USA

Great ideas!! Thanks for the tutorial!

#3 Old 09-23-08, 04:25 AM Converting CSM's To Plague Marines
Pronoun
Pronoun's Flag is: USA

Great tutorial, will definitely use this in the future.

Another thing I've found that looks Nurgly is to put some plastic glue on the edge of a shoulder pad and just let it sit. It melts the plastic, giving a really good look. Also, gloss varnish looks slimey.

#4 Old 09-23-08, 07:11 AM Converting CSM's To Plague Marines
Red Corsairs

Thanks for this tutorial, it's brilliant! I am sure this will help a lot and what's better... the finished results are great! Great work.

#5 Old 10-08-08, 02:42 AM Converting CSM's To Plague Marines
Blood God
Blood God's Flag is: Australia

That last pic is very nurgle like. Nice tutorial though
My Dark Apostle.
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...381#post201381

#6 Old 02-14-09, 12:06 AM Converting CSM's To Plague Marines
Crane948

My sweet jesus that's awesome. Now I can buy normal CSM packs for my Nurgle army instead of the deathguard ones, thanks for this!

#7 Old 02-14-09, 10:53 PM Converting CSM's To Plague Marines
Svartmetall
Great Unclean One
Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

On a related note, if you check Issue #8 of Firebase here, on page 100 I have a tutorial on how to make old-school looking Plague Marines from a current plastic Marine.

The finished result looks like this:

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3

Modelling blog at: Svartmetall's Plague Planet

#8 Old 01-11-10, 11:41 PM Converting CSM's To Plague Marines
papa nurgle
papa nurgle's Flag is: Australia

very nice!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Converting, Modelling and Green Stuff