Need help with Ork army List

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Need help with Ork army List

Ork Army Lists

#1 Old 05-01-12, 01:47 PM Need help with Ork army List
bubbles
Default Need help with Ork army List

I have only recently bought my ork codex but I have been buying models and putting an army together for a while without the knowledge of anything inside the codex, points upgrades etc etc. due to this I have pretty much ballsed up my army because I was always thinking about the big large scale apoc matches and not the little 1250 point games and such.

My army consists of primarily boyz without a lot of support and so I kinda need help organizing what I should buy and in what order. My army is horde but it's not gonna cut it against the people I play or at least most of them. Im versing IG, Space Marines, Necrons, Dark eldar and Tyranids.

This is my army so far.

I have 5 boyz mobs that are the same containing
29 boyz
3 big shootas
Nob w/ PK and BP

20 AoBR Nobz

3 Killa Kans

15 Lootas

15 Burnas

10 AoBR Deffkoptas

I have 1 zzap gun

Tankbusta sqaud

I dont really Know if any of this works as I sorta got whatever I could cheap on Ebay but I dont think Horde army is gonna cut it against my enemies except maybe the Dark eldar and Nids. I kinda want more support like more lootas and burnas as well as a few trucks but Im not really sure what to do and Im trying not to buy more stuff that I can't use.

So can you help me or am I doomed.
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 05-01-12, 02:26 PM Need help with Ork army List
Blacksword72
Blacksword72's Flag is: USA

Well, I have a Speed Freaks/Evil Sunz Ork Force and it has done pretty well, My Suggestions: Get 2 or 3 trukks and kit them out with a wreckin Ball, Boarding Plank and Extra Armor, when you do field them, have 11 Boyz with Big Shoota and a Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole, (you can give him eavy armor but you don't have to.) for each Trukk. Get maybe one or two Battle Wagons give them 3 Bigshootas but keep them open-topped (in other words don't give them the Ard Case) I usually put mobz of 20 boyz in them each with 2 Bigshoota's. Next have your warboss and as many as your nobz as you can which is 19 of them inside of yet another Battlewagon, equipped much of the same way as the other 2, remember it can count as a transport not a heavy support choice when it is taken by a mob of nobz. All the above vehicles have a red paint job, (Come on it IS A Evil Sunz Speed Freak Army after all!!!) Another thing I did is take a Big Mek with a Shokk Attack gun, is it %100 reliable? No but when they do hit, IT HITS HARD!!!! Use your DeffKopta as Reserve, and keep the Twin-linked Rokkit Launcha , rerolls for shooting for orks is A MUST!!! due to a low BS of 2. As far as your Killa Kans go, Use them to advance to give fire support to your Trukks and Battlewagons to help soften up those units until your boyz pile out of vehicles and charge into an Assault. With Orks you ALWAYS want to charge into an assault before your enemy Assaults into you..Hope this helps..
Edit Personally, I wouldn't bother with a Single Zzap Gun, but if you want to use it, Get 2 More and include it into a 3 strong squad. Tank Busta's? Could Footslog it across the board screened by your boyz in Trukks and battle wagons and then move them towards targets of oppurtunities..Again Hope this helps..

Last edited by Blacksword72; 05-01-12 at 02:31 PM. Reason: So this is what I would Field: (point non-specific)

#3 Old 05-01-12, 02:29 PM Need help with Ork army List
Ratvan
Mad as a sack of Squigs
Ratvan's Flag is: England

From what I can see here you have a few avenues that you could explore, you have plenty of boyz (which is good IMO) Maybe Kan Wall strategy is something that you'd be interested in, obviously you can mix n match the wargear and what have you. It also leaves you with all the elites slots free and all the fast attack slots empty as well

Basic Kan Wall Template

HQ
Big Mek, KFF - 85
Big Mek, KFF - 85

TROOPS
30 Shoota Boyz, Nob, Power Claw & Bosspole - 220

HEAVY SUPPORT
3 Killa Kans, 2 Grotzookers, 1 Rokkit - 140

Roughly 1250 points.

Bear in mind a simply Orcy tactic(WHFB player mainly, the 'k' is just wrong to me) is boys with rides come with slugga and choppa, boys on foot come with shootas, that and shoot da fighty stuff and fight da shooty stuff

Last edited by Ratvan; 05-01-12 at 02:32 PM.

#4 Old 05-01-12, 02:42 PM Need help with Ork army List
Tanrel
Tanrel's Flag is: USA

Yes, definitely agree with the kan wall if you want to play horde orks. It's very effective against everything thats not grey knights and really fast skimmer vehicles. And imagine being your opponent seeing you pull out over 100 models in a 1250 game. XD

However, I would recommend dropping one of those kan squads for a Deffdred, that way you can have that extra troops choice and your opponent will focus on it instead of the softer kans.

USMC, Oorah!

#5 Old 05-01-12, 03:36 PM Need help with Ork army List
cawizkid

Hello and Welcome to the horde,

I think you have a great start to your army, The 1st rule of playing Ork's is "Boys Before Toys" and second remember to "RUN". I would disagree with taking Shoo-ta boys how ever, Orks do not know how to shoot guns very well, they are to tricky things and lack AP, I like to take squads af around 25/26 boys CC/Slugga, and a nob with a PK. your opponent has concentrate most of thier fire on one unit a round, I have found that I loose about 8-10 boys in the from a squad before I get into combat, this changes against IG (one Squad is dead). then the boys are right no top of there small units, and you should win against just about any unit. The Extra attack in CC will more than pay off for the crapy shooting of your boys. (Everyone gets a save against a Ork gun). Also I would agree that you should get a Dread or 2.

Something like this.

HQ
Big Mek KFF. A Must ( I like to put a claw on him as well. maybe a Squig)

Elites,
Lootas x10 Consider getting a few more to get a second squad of ten, I have found this to be the sweet spot, the generally will cause a couple of kills and cause a panic in a unit. Any less and you end up to week, anything more is points that can be used better else where, and they become to big of target when they are more than 10.

Troops
26 boys squad (25 CC boys, 1 NOb with claw) x3
Dread Extra DCCW/Scortha

Heavey
3x Kans 2x Rocket, 1x Scortha
3x Kans 2x Rocket, 1x Scortha
Dread Extra DCCW/Scortha

Should be just about 1250.

Working a truck/battle wagon into the army for the Big Mek to expand the CFF would be a great idea. but basically the Walkers form up around the Big MeK, use the CFF for the Walkers and the Walkers give cover to the Mek, so everyone gets a cover. the combo of horde/Mech gives all the other armies trouble because they can not kit out for one or the other, Most people bring a ton of Anti Tank, so they will be shooting at your walkers, which is fine, cause that means you get all your boys across the table to assault (What they do best), If they start shooting at the boys, then the walkers get across the table and eat the troups/transports for lunch. Though I will say taking Old Zigarot, and tuning my opponents big bad I will rape your face IC into a squig then burning them to death has become my new favorite thing, but that comes at high points battles. 5+ burnas in a truck can also do a ton of damage, but any opponent will learn after the first game that they need to kill that unit first.

#6 Old 05-01-12, 07:07 PM Need help with Ork army List
Tanrel
Tanrel's Flag is: USA

Ok, I'm going to disagree with not taking shoota boyz. Despite their low BS, orks have arguably one of the best gunsin the game, an 18" assualt 2 gun is spectacular, coupled with 20 boyz, thats 40 shots followed by an assault of 60 attacks. AP doesn't matter if you make them roll a ton of saves. Shoota boyz are a lot more tactical when it comes to their uses, but they are definitely viable. I used to run my horde with 3 squads of 25 CC and a squad of 20 shoota boyz to be rear guard for my lootas and hold objectives.

A klaw is a waste of points on a big mek, keep them cheap, because once they get in combat, they will be targeted and killed. They are very high priority, it's better to just give them 'eavy armor and Cybork body.

I'm a very strong proponent of Lootas, I always say the more the better. If I had the points, I'd run 3 squads of 15 in every army. If you're lucky, they can be absolutely devestating. However, they are expensive, you could get more than 2 boyz for the cost of one loota. And the concern is that with BS2, they aren't that reliable to kill things.

I used to run my Kans with just Skorchas since I figured I'd just be running them all the time and not shooting. Save a couple points and when you get up close, you can destroy bad armor save units.

And that last bit is just no, no, no, and no. Do not run a lone battlewagon in a kan wall army. It's a point sink that will draw the attention of all the tank hunting on the board, and then your mek is walking anyway. just stick the mek in a squad and march him along with the boyz. Do not run wierdboyz, big meks and warbosses are infinitely better HQ choices. Burna's are kind of a 50/50. Like he said, they'll be targeted after the first time you use them, especially if they're the only ones in a trukk or battlewagon. Do not run lone vehicles, they have ork cardboard armor. They will die after the first turn of shooting.

#7 Old 05-01-12, 07:59 PM Need help with Ork army List
Blacksword72
Blacksword72's Flag is: USA

Here is a example list that run for my Speed Freaks, it is a Background oriented Army:

Warboss w/Twin-linked Shoota, Power Klaw, eavy Armor, Boss Pole

Big Mek w/Shokk Attack Gun, eavy Armor

Elites: 6 Nobz Bikers with 2 Big Choppa's

Troops: 10 Nobz with eavy Armor and Battlewagon with Red Paint Job, Grabba Claw, and 3 Bigshoota's (Warboss Runs with the Nobz inside the Battle Wagon)

20 Boyz, With Slugga/Choppa 2 Big Shoota's

20 Boyz, With Slugga/Choppa 2 Big Shoota's

11 Boyz with Slugga/Choppa, Nob with Power Klaw, eavy Armor, Bosspole w/Trukk Red Paint job, Boardin Plank, Wreckin Ball

11 Boyz with Slugga/Choppa, Nob with Power Klaw, eavy Armor, Bosspole w/Trukk Red Paint job, Boardin Plank, Wreckin Ball

Fast Attack: 3 Deff Kopta's with twin-linked Rockitt Launcha's and Big Boom

3 Deff Kopta's with twin-linked Rockitt Launcha's and Big Boom

Heavy Support: Battle Wagon with Red Paint Job, Grabbin Claw, 3 Big Shoota's (carries one 20 strong Mob)

Battle Wagon with Red Paint Job, Grabbin Claw, 3 Big Shoota's (carries one 20 strong Mob)

I hope this can give you a few idea's...The force actually does pretty well, considering....

Last edited by Blacksword72; 05-01-12 at 08:03 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists