Painting Necrons

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Painting and Airbrushing

Painting Necrons

Painting and Airbrushing

#1 Old 04-17-12, 02:36 AM Painting Necrons
Arcticor

Default Painting Necrons

Hello everyone!

Today I am going to attempt to make my first painting tutorial of a Necron Warrior. I am by no means an expert painter, but I personally really like the way my Necrons turned out so I thought I might share them with you all. Feel free to criticize my painting method or give me tips as well, I am here to teach and be taught.
To do this, this is the list of paints you will need. These are the old GW paints:

Chaos Black
Tin Bitz
Mithril Silver
Scorpion Green
Burnt Sienna (This is not a GW paint. I use this to get a nice rusted effect, try to find a red/brown paint if you cannot get your hands on this.)

Step 1: Chaos Black Basecoat
I spray my models with a flat black spray paint while they are still on the sprue. I do this to get the paint evenly all over the model. After it is dry, I clip the parts off the sprue and glue the model together. I leave the colored rod and the end of the gun off the model until the end. Me clipping out the parts leaves little white patches over the model from where I cut. I smooth these out and paint them Chaos Black. In the picture I left one white to show you what it looks like.

Step 2: Tin Bitz Plates
In this step I pick out all the parts that look like armor plates to me. This would be the front of the head, the torso, shoulder blades, plates on the upper and lower arms, back of the hand (not the fingers), thighs, plates on the lower legs and feet, and spinal column. This may look a bit weird at first to have the colors arranged like this, but when you wash it with the burnt sienna, it will look nice. Try to leave the eyes and the eye sockets black because I want this Necron to look soulless. If you want to add personality go ahead and make the eyes a different color.

Step 3: Mithril Silver and Scorpion Green details
I pick out the axe blade on the gauss weapon mithril silver. Make sure to get all the sides of the weapon and not just the two large flat parts. I use the Scorpion Green to paint parts of the gauss flayer. My pot of paint is watered down because I had to re-liquefy the paint because it dried out. Dip your brush in, scrape off the excess paint and lightly drag it over a paper towel like you would prepare a brush for drybrushing. Then slowly paint the power core (or whatever you think it is) by dragging your brush over it. Do the same thing for the bumpy tube. On the smooth tube you can just paint it normally.

Step 4: Heavy Burn Sienna wash
In this step I use my Burnt Sienna color (again, you can use any rust colored paint that is red/brown in tone) to heavily wash the entire body of the model, but not the gun. You want a nice good flowing layer of paint to get into the recesses of the model, because that is where water would collect and make the warrior rust. Go over the entire model, because this wash will change the tin bitz into something that looks more realistic. The pictures below are right after I washed the model, so it is wet and shiney.

This is what my tube of Burnt Sienna looks like:

Step 5: You’re done! Take a picture of it and show it to all your friends.
This is what my finished models look like after going through these steps. You can apply this to any model on the Necron range, just make sure to pick out the details on other models. Below is a dried warrior and a overlord from the CCB box.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you enjoyed it and maybe picked something up along the way! Again, feel free to criticize this, I am by no means an expert. If you do use this method, or use some steps in your own painting process, post finished pictures below, I would love to see them!

Thanks
-Arcticor

Click here to learn about how you can stop supporting sweatshops. Please help me get this viral by posting it on Facebook, twitter, etc.

Last edited by Cypher871; 04-17-12 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Layout
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 04-17-12, 07:25 AM Painting Necrons
Cypher871
Innovative Forge-Lord
Cypher871's Flag is: England

Nice one chap, thanks for your tute. I particularly liked the use of the burnt sienna for the rust effect.

Cy

Last edited by Cypher871; 04-17-12 at 07:28 AM.

#3 Old 04-26-12, 02:59 PM Painting Necrons
davespil
davespil's Flag is: USA

Look, I like the effect and they look cool. But, there is no way a necron would walk around with rust on. They are all metal and busty rust would be there first priority. If they started to rust while they were asleep for 10 million years they'd be nothing but wires when they woke up. And their biggest enemy while awake would be corrosion (rust). Sorry, but I just think about that everytime I see rust on necrons.

#4 Old 04-26-12, 03:53 PM Painting Necrons
emmonno

Quote:
Originally Posted by davespil View Post
Look, I like the effect and they look cool. But, there is no way a necron would walk around with rust on. They are all metal and busty rust would be there first priority. If they started to rust while they were asleep for 10 million years they'd be nothing but wires when they woke up. And their biggest enemy while awake would be corrosion (rust). Sorry, but I just think about that everytime I see rust on necrons.
I agree, and really a race with very good developed technology should be able to at least make stainless steel...

#5 Old 04-30-12, 12:12 PM Painting Necrons
Arcticor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davespil View Post
True, thanks for commenting guys. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so I love to hear them, even they contradict mine. For all we know it takes a few million years for stainless to gather rust (or something like that) But, you know, opinions.
-Arcticor

#6 Old 07-20-12, 05:51 PM Painting Necrons
Farseer Darvaleth
Farseer Darvaleth's Flag is: Great Britain

Maybe the Necrons chose to let their bodies rust, to either trick the opponent into thinking they're weak (or, if lying down, inactive) or to better blend in to rusted city environments or the desert. Nothing is easier to spot in a desert than a huge glittering column of stainless-steelcrons.

And yes, threadomancy. I'm just defending the OP's paint scheme.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Cato Marquand

#7 Old 07-26-12, 10:35 PM Painting Necrons
Shogun_Nate
Boondock Shogun
Shogun_Nate's Flag is: USA

Great tutorial bud! I think the finished product looks great, all dingy and dirty.

As for them being rusty, not every tomb world is in perfect working order. There's no need for say, stainless steel, if you have constant maintainence from Canoptek Spiders/Wraiths/etc. while hibernating. However, should there be some damage to the tomb's guardians/maintainence workers, then yes, there is bound to be some degredation. One simply has to look in the necron codex to see some of the paint schemes for the less fortunate tomb worlds to see this. On top of that, the bodies could be coated in a material that does oxidize while the underlying main material remains undamaged. It's all about perspective/possible background/various factors. I like seeing a necron army that isn't 'perfectly' silver. It's a lot more characterful than boring old silver. Point of fact, my warriors are also rusty and dingy. I think it comes off looking better that way. Of course, that's a personal opinion!

Good luck and good gaming,

Nate

"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAllFather View Post
Well, seeing as how you capitalize your characters, use proper grammar and punctuation, I'd say you qualify.

#8 Old 07-29-12, 02:32 AM Painting Necrons
Arcticor

Thanks for the comments guys! I dont mind threadomancy (especially because you agreed with me!). I didnt put too much thought into WHY they were rusty, I just picked up the old codex and thought "damn, so many shiny crons!", and I also think rusty robots would be scarier than shiny ones.
-Arcticor

#9 Old 07-29-12, 02:33 PM Painting Necrons
Cypher871
Innovative Forge-Lord
Cypher871's Flag is: England

Personally I prefer the rusty look...shows a bit of character

#10 Old 08-05-12, 10:35 AM Painting Necrons
dragonkingofthestars
dragonkingofthestars's Flag is: USA

i kind of liked it when they were shiny when you justed painted them.

like they had been lieing on a river bed, or there tomb flooded before riseing out of the deep to attack.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Painting and Airbrushing