Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread - Page 3

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread

Original Works

#21 Old 04-25-12, 06:51 AM Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread
Mossy Toes
Entropy Fetishist
Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

I don't mind it at all. By and large I agree with you--but I still like to play with toys outside the regular box. That's part of what fanfic represents to me: stories in which I can experiment and generate my own authorial voice.

Doing well in competitions is nice for the ego, but by no means an essential, or even very important, part of bettering my skills.

Fateweaver on the streets, Be'lakor in the sheets.
Sponsored Links

#22 Old 04-25-12, 09:51 AM Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread
Dave T Hobbit
Tzeentch laughs at likely
Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

I use HOES in the same way. The length is short enough that you do not get bored or discouraged if the experiment turns out to be too far from your current style to gain traction but has no space for waffling so you cannot hide by adding sections from your current repertoire.

I had never written a space battle story before so I decided this month would be a space battle before I came up with a plot (ironically the actual descriptions of battle were the parts that I edited down most to meet the word limit).

#23 Old 04-25-12, 10:44 AM Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread
BlackGuard
BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

My picks are:

Adrian, The Eyes of the Dead
Kaiden, Shadow of the Hydra
Gothik, The Gods Know Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!

#24 Old 04-25-12, 12:53 PM Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread
Serpion5
"Alternative" Mod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGuard View Post
My picks are:

Adrian, The Eyes of the Dead
Kaiden, Shadow of the Hydra
Gothik, The Gods Know Best
You need to post them in order with the points next to them as described in the first post mate.

Nonsense is our Salvation

#25 Old 04-25-12, 02:14 PM Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread
Kaiden
Master of the Watch
Kaiden's Flag is: Wales

Some fantastic stories this month, here are my favourites.

1st - Adrian - The Eyes of the Dead - 3 Points
2nd -Mossy Toes - "To Comprehend (It Matters Not)" - 2 Points
3rd - KjellThorngaard - "Doom of Many, Doom of One" - 1 Point

Here's what I liked about each of the winners.

"The eyes of the Dead" - Very well written and evocative piece, I really felt the sense of tension and fear of the protagonist.

"To comprehend" - In my opinion, this more than any other piece, nailed the subject matter. Oblivion on a planetary scale.

"Doom of Many, Doom of One" - I have a real soft spot for the old Nids, and this story explored a new and quite frankly terrifying concept.

My Honourable mention is "As You Command" - I had genuine empathy for the character of Caius, wanting to believe in good, but learning how cruel the galaxy is first hand. Brutal yet brilliant.

You are charged with the crime of existance Xenos! - Watch Librarian Auron

#26 Old 04-26-12, 08:39 AM Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread
Serpion5
"Alternative" Mod...

1st: Mossy Toes, To Comprehend (It matters not) - 3pts.

2nd: KjellThorngaard, Doom of Many, Doom of One - 2 pts.

3rd: Dicrel Seijin, Only War - 1pt.

#27 Old 04-26-12, 10:56 AM Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread
BlackGuard
BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGuard View Post
My picks are:

Adrian, The Eyes of the Dead -- 3pts
Kaiden, Shadow of the Hydra -- 2pts
Gothik, The Gods Know Best -- 1pt
Fail edit ... but there it is. Just to make it clear.

#28 Old 04-26-12, 05:09 PM Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread
Brother Emund
Brother Emund's Flag is: Wales

Default Votes from Emunds's corner

First of all, can I say that this months stories were fantastic. It was tight, and I could have given points for most of the stories. Unfortunately, there can only be 3 winners.

But the Food - ADRIAN
Nice story (which neatly linked with your second one). I wanted more. Damn that plague!

Hidden Doom - Jonelith
Lovely Blood-Fest! Is 'Anti-climatic' a word? Loved the banter between the troops. Very Good

Pride - Demonlors24
It had potential, but then I thought WTF? Aged (God-fearing), Guardsman, takes out 3 Banshee's and a Farseer... nah, that is too Farseer-fetched!
But hey, who am I?

The Gods Know Best - Gothik
Again, I thought it had potential, but I had to wait until the end for the Annihilation. Punctuation and Grammer errors.

As you Command - Davididcus
Nicely written. Hurrah to the Silver Stallions!

Victory or Death - Zinegota
I really enjoyed this one, but I wanted MORE!!! Hail the Steel Wardens!

A Burden to Bear - Blackguard
The Inquisition dumping on the poor old Guard! I liked the Gholgothians. I think we couls have had a grea night on the town with this lot!

Doom of Many, Doom of One
Very Good indeed and from an interesting perspective. Still concious when rendered down to cell level. You were Tyranid Poo!

To Face such a Beast - Serpion5
Unusual choice - Necrons, Orks and C'tan. I think you like the Nec's, didn't you write about them before. Nice story

OK,
Now the marks

4th - 'The Eyes of the Dead' - Adrian.
I know, you don't get points for 4th but it deserved a mention. Very well written and I did not see the twist coming. Well done

3rd - Andygorn's Story with the long title!... 1 Point
Dark Eldar, lots of blood and a nice ending.

2nd - 'To Comprehend' by Mossy Toes... 2 Pts
Very Good. Annihilation-personified! Really loved this... well done. One thing though... What have those poor prostitutes ever done to you!!!

1st - 'Only War' by Dicrel Seijin... 3 Pts
Awesome! Very, very good. As it was very unusual, I loved it. Well desereved 1st.

Check out my 40K 'Epic' about the Inquisition: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=164858

Last edited by Brother Emund; 04-26-12 at 05:22 PM.

#29 Old 04-26-12, 09:40 PM Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread
Mossy Toes
Entropy Fetishist
Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Emund View Post
One thing though... What have those poor prostitutes ever done to you!!!
We don't talk about the Incident.

Thanks for the vote.

Oh man, this is going to be close. I know Kaiden was winning, but now I'm really uncertain as to the scores. Wow, this is tense.

#30 Old 04-26-12, 10:42 PM Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Competition 12-04: Annihilation Voting Thread
gothik
gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

begininjg to wish i had pulled mine, reading back its not all that great damn...still i think it might be Kaiden just

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works