Looking For help for competitive 1000 points - Page 2

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Looking For help for competitive 1000 points

Eldar Army Lists

#11 Old 04-24-12, 04:40 PM Looking For help for competitive 1000 points
The Irish Commissar
The Irish Commissar's Flag is: Ireland

So what would you recommend VulcanButtPinch
Sponsored Links

#12 Old 04-24-12, 05:24 PM Looking For help for competitive 1000 points
Orochi

Other than Fire Dragons, the only other even close to the word reliable anti-tank unit Eldar have going is a Guided Falcon with an EML, Holofields and Spirit stones. However, to achieve this you need to spend 250pts+.

One option for smaller games (assuming smaller games = less tanks) is swooping hawks. Haywire grenades can royally fuck up any vehicle. A small unit can be cost effective, just don't expect them to do anything else (as the opponent will probably swat them from the board in his turn).
Another is Warp Spiders, The unit has plenty of Str6 shots, and can, with practice, maneuver behind enemy tanks.

Aside from the method I have suggested first, there are very few (strangely) long range options as how to deal with tanks, as even Guided Falcons and TL-EML WSs are hit and miss and don't pack a weapon above Str8.

The whole idea of combining Prisms to fire at one tank is slightly mad in itself.. fair enough if it's a super heavy or a LR.

For now stick with Dragons. Until the BL doesn't cost a shit tonne of points more than the EML, stick with those to.

#13 Old 04-24-12, 05:38 PM Looking For help for competitive 1000 points
VulcanButtPinch

It's hard to write a list from scratch for some1. I don't know ur playstyle or preferred units. I would suggest making a start urself and asking us to help tweek it. however here is somethin I thought up in the pub

Autarch bike reaper launcher blasters PW 145

6 bikes 2 chincannon 144

5 dragons serpent stones chincannon 190

11 guardians scatter laser
Serpent stones scatter lasers

Prism chincannon 125
Prism chincannon 125

Play kill point denial. Deploy in reserve three reliable anti tank units to de mount the enemy. Since there won't be anything too Beardy in the tourney u should be fine. Guardians are more than adequate anti tank. Plenty of high strength shots. Pick his units apart slowly while preserving your own. Played this list once and only lost the dragons and one falcon. Obviously in objective games u should out run your opponant to secure or contest and win the game.

#14 Old 04-25-12, 04:05 PM Looking For help for competitive 1000 points
The Irish Commissar

alri thanks man the list im using is

Eldrad

10x Dire avengers
exarch- twin guns
blade storm

10x guardians
eml

Banshees
exarch -executioner
war shout

warp spiders
exarch -twin spiners

wave serpents
eml
chin canonn
spirit stones

wave serpent
eml
chin cannon
spirit stones

Thanks for all the comments lads.
And ye dat sound good Orochi

#15 Old 04-25-12, 04:15 PM Looking For help for competitive 1000 points
Orochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irish Commissar View Post
alri thanks man the list im using is

Eldrad
Good.

10x Dire avengers
exarch- twin guns
blade storm
The Exarch as a whole isn't really necessary. It comes to 44 points for a T3, 4+ save model. BS5 or not.

10x guardians
eml
NEED a Warlock with Embolden to stop them running away. A singing Spear may be an option, Anti-tank in both ranged and CC

Banshees
exarch -executioner
war shout
No need for the Exarch. War shout doesn't do shit against models in cover. And against a Doomed target, Str3 would be fine.

warp spiders
exarch -twin spiners
Good.

wave serpents
eml
chin cannon
spirit stones

wave serpent
eml
chin cannon
spirit stones

Thanks for all the comments lads.
And ye dat sound good Orochi
There is some serious lack of anti-tank. Eldrad and the serpents will be carrying a lot of pressure on their shoulders.
I would consider swapping the Spiders or Banshees for Dragons. I know this may seem a little odd, but you have no reliable anti-AV13+.
Spiders are tricky to use in comparison to Banshees. So this depends on your skill level.

#16 Old 04-25-12, 05:07 PM Looking For help for competitive 1000 points
VulcanButtPinch

I would say spiders are easier. Since u have to manoeuvre the banshees transport and plan a turn ahead since we have no assault ramp :-(
Spiders is just a move shoot run away unit.
Also if you do the maths your da squad with bladestorm, doom and guide won't kill a 10 man marine squad. Exarch is big waste of points. Its why I personally prefer guardians. The 4 points difference between the two looks like a bargain comparing stat lines. But both units will take two turns to shoot marines off the table and at least guardians get a big gun.

#17 Old 04-25-12, 05:42 PM Looking For help for competitive 1000 points
Orochi

I do see where you are coming from with the Guardians, but on the offensive, DA are better off. Assault is expected, so WS4 and a 4+ save will shine compared to WS3 and a 5+ save.

Storm guardians led by a warlock possibly, well worth considering in place of the DA if the Banshees are removed. Paired up with Eldrad, they can put out substantial damage.

I do agree with the spiders, as with Eldrad's redeploy ability, you can set them up well from the first turn.

Basically... FIRE DRAGONS

#18 Old 04-26-12, 06:56 AM Looking For help for competitive 1000 points
VulcanButtPinch

Personally I find a block of guardians with warlock accompanied by a wraithlord works real well for me. Use the lord for cover makes them more survivable and more often than not I can deny an entire flak with that block. Out flanking units are the only serious danger to them realistically and counter charge units always wait on standby. I'm speaking however of my 2k list. But I still thinks it's worth thinking about in smaller games

#19 Old 04-26-12, 03:20 PM Looking For help for competitive 1000 points
The Irish Commissar

So you think i should get rid of the banshees and get fire dragons

#20 Old 04-26-12, 03:24 PM Looking For help for competitive 1000 points
Orochi

I would like to agree with the Wraithlord idea, but as he wants a competitive army, I won't support the idea of taking them.

Truth be told they are fairly good, but with the amount of heavy weapons present nowadays (and not those just on tanks) they tend to die very fast. Being so tall, conjoined with the dodgy cover rules means they can't hide for shit. BS4 isn't stable enough to provide a good weapons platform in my eyes and a TL-BL is just grossly priced.
2 Attacks, even with a wraithsword will achieve jack shit in assault, as no player with an IQ over 50 will let him get into contact with units that he would be ideal against (non-SS termies, San-Guard etc).

WWs are great, I love them personally, but they cannot perform ant-tank without pumping a lot of points into them, and even then...BS3. And with AV10, even boltguns can piss all over you.

IF your opponents are willing, the Forgeworld Hornet is a fabulous bit of kit. 3 of those can cause quite a bit of damage to enemy tanks, but sadly, do take up a lot of board space.

In general, the Eldar lack a cheap BS4 vehicle capable of anti-tank. Dark Eldar get the Raider..which in turn can then acquire a 5++ save. It's cheap, it carries troops and can destroy any tank. Although it's over looked in favour of the Venom, that's only because the DE get Ravagers and Blaster Trueborn.

I seriously cannot wait for the new book. Everything needs something fixing bar Eldrad. Here's a thought...DA with a weapons platform? Yes please.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists