How to make a light box for photographing minis

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

How to make a light box for photographing minis

Modelling and Painting

#1 Old 04-16-12, 10:12 PM How to make a light box for photographing minis
KarnalBloodfist
KarnalBloodfist's Flag is: USA
Default How to make a light box for photographing minis

I know some of the more advanced painters here probably know all about this, but, this is for some of those who may be wondering, "How the hell do they get those pictures to turn out so well!?" Well, I found these instructions on another forum and, for the most part, followed them to make my own light box for taking pics of my minis. Hopefully some of the Heretics here will find this at least mildly useful. I'll try to get some pics up of he one I made.

Sponsored Links

#2 Old 04-17-12, 06:46 PM How to make a light box for photographing minis
Dave T Hobbit
Tzeentch laughs at likely
Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

A good find.

Even if it is not a good as a professional tent (and it might well be) any improvement that is nearly free is good value.

#3 Old 04-17-12, 07:26 PM How to make a light box for photographing minis
elmir
elmir's Flag is: Belgium

Actually, when looking at correct lighting in photography, the actualy lightboxquality isn't nearly as important as the quality of the lightsource.

A lightbox tent really isn't anything more then a white cloth around your models to diffuse the light. It can be done just as well by certain types of paper. Investing in a good lightsource (preferably one with high Watt output) is much more vital to take good pictures.

Lots of light means low possible ISO settings for your camera. The lower your ISO value, the better quality the picture will be (it'll make it less grainy). It doesn't even matter what type of camera you use. ANY CAMERA will make a great shot when there is a lot of light present. Great cameras will take good shot at low light conditions.

So my advice for people struggling with their pictures: if you are going to invest in something, invest in high Watt output lights. Even if that means getting these contruction site flood lights (wich often rather cheap for their power and quite robust too). Something like this: http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/New-Mex-...item1e5fe26cb4

Combined with this:

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/2-x-R7-H...item3a6bc9876e

Doesn't cost a lot, will light up ANYTHING and is cheap as chips. The lamps do get hot over time however, so I wouldn't use them for shoots lasting more then half an hour.

Last edited by elmir; 04-17-12 at 07:30 PM.

#4 Old 04-17-12, 08:39 PM How to make a light box for photographing minis
Khorne's Fist
Dazed and confused.
Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

That is a great tute, nice find Karnal. I will be using this on this month's TWs.

01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100001 01101000 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100001

#5 Old 04-18-12, 04:49 AM How to make a light box for photographing minis
Scythes
Scythes's Flag is: USA

I find just taking a couple sheets of printer paper and putting them on my laptop keyboard and then against the screen makes a great, easy, and cheap background. And as long as I have my laptop with me it's super portable. Granted, it's not professional, but I think the pics come out just fine.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

#6 Old 04-20-12, 01:04 PM How to make a light box for photographing minis
Relise
Relise's Flag is: England

Excellent I might have a try at this over the weekend....

#7 Old 04-20-12, 06:48 PM How to make a light box for photographing minis
Zer0
Zer0's Flag is: United Kingdom

Looks pretty cool. I resorted to holding a sheet of white paper directly under a lamp shining onto the minis the last time I tried taking a picture. I hope I can give this a try.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting