Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica - Page 2

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > Warhammer Tactics

Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica

Warhammer Tactics

#11 Old 03-05-12, 10:47 AM Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica
Aramoro

I don't want to be negative but you're just writing out all the Tomb King rules without any Tactics.

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
Sponsored Links

#12 Old 03-05-12, 05:07 PM Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica
Lord Azune

I hear you Aramoro, I'm working on it. Gotta set the stage before the show can begin.
Minor Wins: 0/0
Minor Losses: 1/0
Losses: 4/1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
Tzeentch runs GW.

#13 Old 04-15-12, 02:58 AM Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica
Lord Azune

I'll cover magic items later but for now, I'd love comments on the tactica/units opinions.

#14 Old 04-15-12, 10:15 AM Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica
riburn3

Great review and pretty much convinced me to get a nice TK army going. The thought of ridiculous bow spam really appeals to me, especially when it's augmented by their own magic. Also having a few of their monsters on the table just sounds fun.

I personally have only played against TK 2-3 times, and each time I beat them pretty soundly (more because the two opponents went relatively bowless/chariotless and tried to tarpit my Ogres which in turn blew them to bits), but I have always loved the feel of the army (especially since I am a Necron player), and loads of undead bowmen sounds really cool.

One thing I would say I don't really agree with, is I think Ushabti would be better with great weapons then with bows to augment our relative lack of close combat prowess. For their point cost I would much rather field more archers. Yes a str 6 bow is nice, but you'll only get a few of these to hit each game due to their lack of numbers, and for their price, I think they do more damage with great weapons. That said, from a style standpoint I like them and will probably field them in my army despite what I just said.

Again, great summary.

#15 Old 04-15-12, 07:55 PM Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica
Lord Azune

Thats Riburn, As for the Ushabti with Bows, I honestly feel like a long range high str shot is required in the army, either in the form of Bowabti or our famed Bolt Thrower - Necrolith. Honestly, I'd rather field the Necrolith Colossi but I need to model it before I field it regularly. One or two games of proxying I can get, regularly annoys my sensibilities. As for close combat goodness, I'd rather field tomb guard than GW Ushabti. I can get more tomb guard for cheaper and the tomb guard have killing blow. Think about it

#16 Old 04-15-12, 11:53 PM Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica
Deathypoo
Deathypoo's Flag is: USA

ehhh... 300 points for an average of 2 str. 6 hits a turn? Even if you cast smiting regularly, I think that's a pretty poor return. Not that melee Ushabti are a much better choice. It's a shame, I love the models and I love the feel of the unit... it's just way too expensive for anything it does.

I'm equally unimpressed with a bolt thrower Necrolith... that's the lowest accuracy, highest point cost bolt thrower ever, and if you're not trying to get your Necrolith into CC as fast as you can, than what ARE you doing with him?

#17 Old 04-15-12, 11:56 PM Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica
Lord Azune

I flank him around the side. At least he can try to be useful with the bolt throwing while getting into position. Everyone is all about getting stuck in as soon as possible. Why would you ever want to get stuck in if you can help it? It's way better to run roughshod through their side when they get tarpitted.

#18 Old 05-03-12, 12:05 PM Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica
Ratvan
Mad as a sack of Squigs
Ratvan's Flag is: England

As a little aside, I have been looking into the Magical Synergies of the Lore of Nehekhara and Lore of Death (as an Arkhan player I'm sure you know a few things here as well)

As you say there are a lot of TK players who choose Lore of Light, the one type of list that springs to mind is S8 Banishment (multiple low level mages combining to up the strength of the Banishment spell) but that's for another post and another player incidently.

So a quick run down of the spells in the Lore of Death and how they synergise with Lore of Nehekhara is as follows.

Lore of Death Spells

Lore of Death - The Wind of Shyish
Lore Attribute: Life leeching. For each casualty caused by lore of death spells, roll a D6. On a roll of 5+ you are granted an additional power dice.

Spirit Leech. Direct damage, 12" range. Nominate a model. Caster and Target roll 1D6 and add their unmodified leadership. For each point the caster's result exceeds the targets result it suffers 1 wound with no armour save allowed. The scaled up version has an increased range.

1: Aspect of the Dreadknight. Unit Buff, 24 " range. Targeted unit causes fear. Caster may decide to make it cause Terror for a higher casting value.

Not as useful for Tomb Kings until you look at the boosted version, a unit of 3 Terror causing Carrion is hilarious (your opponant will be taking Terror tests on his flanking units at 22" when you declare a charge. This is what I tend to use to scare off Ambushing Ungor/Gor as well Peasants ect.)

2: Caress of Laniph. Direct damage, 12" range. Nominate 1 target model. Roll 2D6 and subtract the target's Strength. The result equals the number of hits the target takes, wounding on 4+ and ignoring armour saves. The scaled up version is range 24".

A cheap method of picking off enemy BSBs, heroes or even Lords. Something like this can easily ruin Teclis' day (if you make it in range/successfully sap his DD). The 4+ wounds is quite a gamble, but it's cheap enough that you can snipe that Ring of Hotek or any other model that's causing you some grief. Things like Standard Bearers come to mind.. or anything that's expensive really.

3: Soulblight. Hex, 24 " range. Targeted unit suffers a -1 strength and toughness. The scaled up version is ALL enemy units within 24". Lasts 1 turn.

Not only does this make the enemy unit susceptible to your attacks but it also makes them less capable of dealing damage. Since this spell has a pretty fair price and good range, it should be cast on any unit that you feel can need a debuff. When in doubt, go crazy and nerf his entire army. This is a very solid debuff and there's almost no circumstance that's holding you back from weakening him.

4: Doom and Darkness. Hex. Remains in play, 24 " range. Targeted unit suffers -3 Leadership. The scaled up version is 48" range.

Since RIP stays in play and allows you to cast afterwards, all RIP spells have gotten better. Doom and Darkness is one of those spells where you cast as soon as you can and force him to dispel. -3 Leadership is absolutely huge. Fear checks, Terror Checks (Aspect of the Dreadknight anyone?), Panic tests, break tests, the list goes on. This is one of those spells that your opponent will be wise to get rid of if he knows what's good for him. If not instantly dispelled it costs your opponent PD to dispel in his phase, making his pool smaller and keeping our units alive a little longer.

5: Fate of Bjuna. Direct damage, 12" range. Nominate 1 model. Roll 2D6 and substract the target's toughness. The result equals the number of hits the target suffers, wounding on 2+ and ignoring Armour saves. Should the target survive, it suffers stupidity for the rest of the game.

You get this off on Teclis and he's done basically (unless you roll double 1's). This is basically the same as Caress but a hell of a lot deadlier. With this spell, you can essentially pick off 2 key models a turn between Fate and Caress. Stupidity for the rest of the game is also extremely annoying. If he's effected by Doom and Darkness, it'll be quite hysterical when your opponents most powerful Wizard won't be able to get his spells off (assuming he survives).

6: The Purple Sun of Xereus
Not really much synergy here, cast it from behind a unit of 10 archers and get some dice back quickly before it hits the enemy.

Synergies

The Obvious choice is Doom and Darkness, cast it on an enemy unit and hit them with SSC (maybe even with Skulls of the Foe) for a panic check at -3(4) Leadership

Soulblight and Dessication combine nicely for a possible -2 to both Toughness and Strength (if both cast). I find these especially useful to target the unit/s that my Chariots are about to impact.

While we're at it, the above two spells synergise nicely with Fate of Bunja and Carress of Laniph, lowering the strength and toughness to 1-2 you're more then likely going to get 5 hits on average against your target.

Spirit Leech - This is why I typically take a Tomb Prince as his unmodified Leadership is higher then the casters (with the exceptions being the Special Characters) helps a little bit with the WHFB Mind War

#19 Old 05-03-12, 04:11 PM Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica
olderplayer
olderplayer's Flag is: USA

Excellent review. Really impressed. Thanks

#20 Old 05-03-12, 08:19 PM Azune's Tomb Kings Tactica
Lord Azune

Wonderful addition to the magic section of the tactica/review Ratvan, I'm going on Haitus for the next few weeks but when I get back if no ones added to it, I'll add the Lore of Light section.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > Warhammer Tactics