Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List

General 40k

#1 Old 04-04-12, 05:12 PM Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List
Tyreal Ardeus
Tyreal Ardeus's Flag is: USA
Default Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List

Hey all.

Just thought I'd try and get some feedback about a certain idea I've been tossing around.

Somehow I don't expect it to be positive, but oh well.

I've been toying with my 1250 point list and came to an idea of adding a 3-man squad of bikers. Now after another change or two from my 1k point list I have exactly 150 points to play with. This could go to a squad of devastators with all missile launchers and ring it up exactly. Or, of course, the bikers.

Between the three of them, a combi-melta/flamer for the sergeant and a pair of flamers for the other two, it came up to 110 points, not all too bad. Change the flamers to meltaguns (me and my friends are pretty lax about that since meltaguns and flamers really look kinda like they do the same thing), and it tacks on for a total for 120. I'd also like to add that I've added a Vulkan He'stan counts-as for this same list, making all meltaguns and flamers twin-linked.

Now 5 toughness, 3+ save and possibly 3++ save marines that can get up in somebody's face pretty quick, I think, may be worth it. Three twin-linked flamers into a squad can cause some damage, same with three twin-linked melta shots into, say, a monolith, which could earn their points back pretty quick.

Personally I really like the idea of running them, not so much expecting effectiveness, but more because I'm a fluff-nut, and my chapter is supposed to utilize all faucets of war; and with a drop-podded dread and a small bike squad, I think it lands pretty squarely on the lightning-attack tactics that space marines are known for.

At the same time I don't want them to infinitely fail either, thus why I thought I'd ask everybody here for a little feedback. Lastly I'd like it noted that my army and it's lists are not, and probably never will be, competitive or made for tournament play in mind. I play with casually with my casual friends, and although I would like to win, it's not my sole reason for playing.

Anyways, can't wait to hear from you guys again. Always a pleasure to hear the great feedback you guys normally have to offer. Talk to you all soon!
“This is our next objective, our next battle, our next war, brothers. It is there that we shall teach the enemy the wrath of mankind, the wrath of our beloved emperor. With boltgun and chainsword shall we strike the enemy down in righteous vengeance. Our foes will know fear and death, for we are the emperor’s fury! None shall stay our wrath!”

- Chapter Master Tyreal Ardeus of the Crimson Gallants
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 04-04-12, 05:19 PM Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List
spanner94ezekiel
Spanner in the works...
spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

There is no reason why small bike squads can't be useful at fast anti-tank or anti infantry. However, they do have their limitations. Firstly, they're a small unit so if they caught out in the open they're dead, if they get assaulted they're dead. Hence they tend to be a suicide unit in that they run up, kerblammo something, then get shot to shit.
Also, they take up a valuable fast attack slot which should be taken up by land speeders. More over, the MM/HF variant does a similar role (or both), but for cheaper and is technically harder to kill.
Finally, if you're gonna take flamers, then you sacrifice a lot of flexibility, as even when twin-linked, they do naff all against armour or anything with a better than 3+ save.

All in all, you could especially in an all bikes list, but there are equal or better units out there that perform the same role with greater flexibility. Also as a side note, if you want fast melta, take Ravenwing, because then they can also be Fearless troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

#3 Old 04-04-12, 05:23 PM Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List
Calamari
Calamari's Flag is: United Kingdom

I love Bikes!

Your idea is sound but ould probable work better as two attack bikes. These are two seperate targets and can engage 2 things a turn for less points. If you insist on stiking with the bike squad, I would try and squeeze at least one, prefferably two more regular guys in there, just so you hav more bodies for leadership cecks/ablatie wounds.

crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk

#4 Old 04-04-12, 05:34 PM Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List
CE5511
CE5511's Flag is: USA

Spanners thoughts are completely right. In my chaos lists i run 3 bikes with 2 melta guns. I get them to a tank, kill it, and die or run away after one death. But thats also because chaos doesnt have jack for good fast slots to compete with, that isnt to say their bikes are good either but they can work. As has been said, Land speeders or even attack bikes would work better for space marines. Keep the regular bikes at distance to really work best.

#5 Old 04-04-12, 06:45 PM Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List
Tyreal Ardeus

I see, so I suppose bikes are now competing with their attack-variant brothers and landspeeders to go along with the devastators. I've heard of the HF/MM landspeeder getting some stuff done in the current meta, and it makes sense I suppose. At the same time, one open topped AV10 skimmer has never seemed too survivable to me, meaning I would probably have to take two or three, which I just don't think I have the points for (although I very well may). As for attack bikes I like the idea of them, I hate the look of them. Looks like a tricycle. I just can't take them seriously.

In the Grimdark future of the 41st millennium, there is only tricycles *beep beep*.

Anyways, I am keeping in mind that all these choices, original bikes included, are competing against a dev squad with MLs, which can turn their weapons to anti-infantry or anti-tank duties. However arguably not quite as well as melta and flamer weaponry respectively.

And like I said, I'm not entirely expecting them to survive but to be more of an unexpected source of "Wow, did that small a squad really just screw my monolith and how did it get there so fast?" Or "Holy crap, did three flamer templates really just wreck this squad and again, how did it get there so fast?"

In any case, if some more opinions could convince me of the usefulness of landspeeders as opposed to bikes and/or devs with MLs, I'd love the feedback. Thanks again!

#6 Old 04-04-12, 07:54 PM Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List
Ultra1
Ultra1's Flag is: USA

the land speeder isn't open topped, and with the 150 points you have you can get 2 separate units with multimelta and heavy flamer. both of which benefit from vulcan. these are fairly common in a vulkan list. they're perfect for getting close to armor and wrecking it, they can deep strike and do the same thing. they can deep strike and wreck infantry units with the twin linked heavy flamer. a very versitile choice, and as i said vulkan makes them crazy good.

#7 Old 04-04-12, 09:59 PM Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List
Tyreal Ardeus

Ah, you're very right. Strange, it just kinda seems like landspeeders would be open-topped.

Anyways yes I can see and have seen their uses in salamander lists to deadly extent and can be useful. I suppose I just really don't like the idea of deep striking unless it's in a drop pod. Scatter and mishaps and all that. Other than that they seem to be pretty viable options and I'll certainly give it some thought.

You know I think I mainly just wanna see if bikers could be useful because nobody uses them in standard, non-bike-army, lists. Maybe see if I could but we'll see. Hopefully I can get a few more points and views before long to help me with my decision.

Thanks again.

#8 Old 04-05-12, 05:44 AM Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List
Scythes
Scythes's Flag is: USA

I think in a all-biker list they work well, but as a small unit like you're proposing, make sure they jump in and kill a target that costs more than they do, and they'll at least get their points back. Any more than that first target and it's a bonus. If you don't mind thrpwing away a small unit, they'll get the job done, but as has been said, they're not bad, there are just better options in the FA slot to choose from.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan

#9 Old 04-05-12, 06:47 AM Space Marine Bikes in a Standard List
TheReverend
Drinker of tea...
TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

I love bikes too but small squads never seem to survivie long. I used a 6 bike + attack bike squad the other month an that worked really well.

For small point fast attack units I'd pick the land speeder, which is difficult for me to admit as I hate the model, but there you go

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k