O&G Tactics - Snotling (yup thats right) - Page 2

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > Warhammer Tactics

Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

O&G Tactics - Snotling (yup thats right)

Warhammer Tactics

#11 Old 04-01-12, 06:58 AM O&G Tactics - Snotling (yup thats right)
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator
Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

5W... which I think is standard for all swarms except nurglings (a 5++ means they pretty much have the equivalent of 5).

I think snotlings make a pretty poor tarpit for infantry in general... but then infantry are pretty much designed for killing swarms. However, they are much better against low attack, high damage models/units such as monsters and heavy cav. Some OnG armies may have difficulty against these, but personally instead of a unit of 8+ snotling bases to tarpit them (which may well not work) I would just throw in the 4 spear chukkas you can get for those points and just squewer them instead.

Personally I would take a couple of bases of snotlings and run them very close to my combat blocks (so long as non cannons/other are about that can easily pop them in a turn). Then you can use them either for redirecting charges or to combi charge with other units when they are heading into fights they should lose- only having 2-3 models being able to attack the snotlings should keep them alive, and then they can't break so the enemy cannotg possibly pursue your main unit if it flees.
If there is a cannon just shove them out on the flanks outside of 6" of important units and either play with flankers or set up flank charges in concert with frontal ork charges for the same reasons as above.

#12 Old 04-01-12, 10:17 PM O&G Tactics - Snotling (yup thats right)
Deathypoo
Deathypoo's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratvan View Post
I ran 10 bases in a game today against VC they lasted 4 turns against 30 grave guard plus wight king and vamp.
This seemed so bizarre to me that I just had to do the math... and it comes out as feasible (but still really lucky) if you mean 4 rounds of combat rather than 4 turns. That's pretty decent to hold up a powerhouse unit for even that long, but rarely will that be worth 300 points imo.

Math, if you care:
Assuming you used conga line, and if VC have no upgrades but full command, odds are the 2 heroes and 6 GG cause 7-8 wounds a turn (14 attacks at 3+ hit/2+ wound). Combat resolution causes another 11-12 a turn. By the third round of combat you should take a total of ~57 wounds, and you only have 50. Close enough odds to last for 4 *rounds* with luck, though.

#13 Old 04-02-12, 05:22 AM O&G Tactics - Snotling (yup thats right)
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator
Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

@Ratvan- did you remember that swarms crumble like VC/TK?

#14 Old 04-02-12, 08:32 AM O&G Tactics - Snotling (yup thats right)
Ratvan
Mad as a sack of Squigs
Ratvan's Flag is: England

yes sorry it was 4 rounds of combat (2 turns-sorry I interchange turns, phases and rounds). He was deployed 8 wide with the Vamp and Wight king not in the combat (I was threatening with a mangler and he was keeping his characters out of the way). All that I wanted the snots to do was keep the unit tied down and out the way until I could get my army past and out the way.

IF I was to run them again in a game I'll probably try running 2-3 bases as either a flanker for my main combat block (NG, Nets, Shield and Spear)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > Warhammer Tactics