Charging question

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

Charging question

Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

#1 Old 10-07-10, 04:57 PM Charging question
Coffeemug
Coffeemug's Flag is: USA
Default Charging question

So I have just starte plyaing this game. Coming from a 40k background, some of these rules and concepts are hard to get around.

The one thing im getting kinda hung up on right now is "Charging".

I just want to make sure I am getting this concept right.

Tell me if i am wrong.

You DO NOT need to "Charge" a modle to "Engage" it in close combat.

You can move into Melee range and make attacks without "Charging"

The reason I as is becuse I am so used to a Charge being a phase of the game, not a menuver.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 10-07-10, 10:48 PM Charging question
maddermax
maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Yes, you're right on that. In warmahordes, you can move around freely, you can walk into combat if you want, or walk out of combat (taking a free strike if you do). You can even run in, if you don't mind being unable to attack for the turn - great for tying up ranged units/jacks. Basically, just move, and, if you're within your melee range, you're in melee. Simple as that.

Charging is basically a manoeuvre that allows you to get an extra 3" range when moving in to attack, and gives you a Boost on the first damage roll against your charge target. There are restrictions placed on it (you must try to move into melee distance, and if you fail, you lose the rest of your action, you can't use a Power attack, must make a melee attack, ect.) but that's the crux of it.

Hope that helps

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 10-07-10 at 10:50 PM.

#3 Old 11-27-10, 08:39 AM Charging question
Brickandmurder
Brickandmurder's Flag is: USA

Maddermax is correct. You are not required to charge in order to engage a model. A charge does have some extra rules to make it work correctly, but as said before it does carry some extra benefits. I've played Warmachine since shortly after original release and one thing that most players skip on a charge (especially players who cross from 40k) is that at the end of the charge movement the charging model must turn to directly face its target. This is very important since all models in warmachine have a facing with front and back arcs being very relevant.

#4 Old 03-19-12, 09:36 AM Charging question
nicegirl13
nicegirl13's Flag is: Denmark

Is it possibilistisk to "run" in to cc? Or dó you losse All action when decide to run?

#5 Old 03-19-12, 02:54 PM Charging question
maddermax
maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicegirl13 View Post
Is it possibilistisk to "run" in to cc? Or dó you losse All action when decide to run?
At the end of your run movement, your model's activation immediately ends - no actions or attacks of any kind are possible. So while you can run into melee range, you won't be able to do anything to them. It can still be useful to engage ranged opponents, to stop them shooting at you.

#6 Old 03-21-12, 12:52 AM Charging question
JokerGod
JokerGod's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicegirl13 View Post
Running to engage is a very common tactic used when facing gun lines or models you don't want charging you. You don't get any attacks on them as stated above however they will not be able to charge any one els and will have to stay in your melee range or risk a free strike.

~Joker
These are some of my favorite things.

#7 Old 03-21-12, 03:04 AM Charging question
Deux
Handmaiden of Slaanesh
Deux's Flag is: USA

If you can somehow run into a unit of Bile Thralls, your opponent cries as they have no melee. But running something like Kayazy or Daughters into melee is good since their high DEF is beastly to get over.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion