1k Greenskins for Expansion

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > Warhammer Armylists > Orcs and Goblins Army Lists

1k Greenskins for Expansion

Orcs and Goblins Army Lists

#1 Old 03-02-12, 01:13 PM 1k Greenskins for Expansion
Ratvan
Mad as a sack of Squigs
Ratvan's Flag is: England

Default 1k Greenskins for Expansion

So to get my Orcs and Goblins collection of the ground and on the painting table and eventually the battlefield I am taking part in a expansion league which kicks off in April. This should give me time to finish off my force and slap some paint on the models. Each of the units that I take in the 1k list I eventually want to have in final (3k+) collection so might as well break the back of the buying and painting early on.

I will try and give some ideas of the tactics that I hope to employ (unless Gork or possibly Mork has ovver plans)

Orc Big Boss (General) 65 Points
Warrior Bane and Enchanted Shield

Orc Big Boss (BSB) - 117
Armour of Fortune, Shield

Orc Boyz Mob - 260
25 Big 'Uns, AHW, Mus, Std, Banner of Discipline

Night Goblins - 145
25 Night Goblins, Short Bows, Mus, Std
2 Fanatics

Wolf Riders - 50
5 Wolf Riders (no upgrades)

Trolls - 210
6 Trolls

Rock Lobba - 85

Total 997

I have a nic ebig unit of Big 'Uns in which to deploy my General and BSB giving me a nice leadership bubble of 9, deployed 6 wide and 4 deep with 3 stragglers at the back to make a nice deep unit that will hopefully stay steadfast for a bit while having the ability on the charge to remove enemy steadfast.

These are protected on one flank by the Night Goblins along with their Fanatics, I'm not completely sure whether I should run with two or drop one for acouple more Big 'Uns to make the unit really scary. My opponants will know that I have fanatics but they don't know how many (the main reason I love night goblins) Also the short bows will allow me to inflict a little damage on a unit before getting tied down in combat.

The other flank protector is a pool of 18 Regenerating wounds in the form of 6 Trolls which should give a nice little distraction for most of the people that I face. The Trolls job is to keep a unit tied down in combat for as long as possible, hopefully breaking them in the process which will be a nice bonus.

Wolf Riders, I just don't feel comfortable without a unit to throw down first on the table, eventually they will get short bows and go off harrassing Warmachines, they will have to go without at the moment as the points are tight and I don't really want to drop anything (maybe that fanatic might have to be cut after all)

Finally I have a Rock Lobba to try and get a few rocks on target, I don't hold too much hope out on this hitting anything, but its a good model and eventually I want a nice little artillery battery in the larger point games.

I have had a few games with this list using proxies and undercoated miniatures which has given me a nice little tactical insight into the weaknesses of this list and has also influenced what I might want to include in the next 250 point expansion (magic, 2nd Lobba & 2nd Boy Mob)

So i'd be very interested to see your thoughts on the list
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 03-02-12, 08:50 PM 1k Greenskins for Expansion
ExtraCrew
ExtraCrew's Flag is: USA

need to keep your trolls in your leadership bubble for stupidity. If your opponent pulls them out or holds them back as your army moves forward it could be real bad.

id go with the Big'un unit in a 5*5 formation I woudlnt recommend them going below 5 ranks so if you want them 6 wide as you expand ad five them make them 6 wide. I would grow hem like this 5*5 6*5 6*6 then at most 6*7. But 6*6 is the largest I would go.

I love fanatics them so much I play an all Night Goblin army. Of all the thing on your list those little devils will control you opponents movement the most.

Rock Lobber is cool, I would add or start with a doom Diver it gives you some range attack to kill heavy infantry and cavalry.

Id recommend a NG Shaman LVL 2. To get him I would drop the wolfs (dont understand real what you mean by throw something down) That gives you the points for the lvl 1. for the lvl 2 I would drop the armour of Fortune. I know most people will yell and scream about that "YOU MUST PROTECT HIM At ALL COST!!!" I agree he needs protection. However at this point level I dont see the need. Cause right now you have given up completely on the the Magic phase, to me that is more important. Also he has a shield and hand weapon with is a 6+ ward save in combat which is when most people will try to kill him.

In your next 250 expansion I would upgrade your orc boss to a black orc boss. +27pts
Make the Orc Mob a 6*5. +45pts
Fanatic to NG and make the Unit 40. +70
10 wolf riders with bows (if you have your heart set on them) +110
these additions =+252pts. so the grand total would be 1249.

If the wolf riders are a no then a rock lobber or doom diver with the rest of the points going to magic items of your choosing.

I think armies need to be great in one phase and good at least another and ok at the third. Orcs like Empire can be really good at all three at the same time. So figure out your play style and build the list for that. (Combat Magic or Shooting) As is solid list like the look its a great start

#3 Old 03-02-12, 11:20 PM 1k Greenskins for Expansion
Ratvan
Mad as a sack of Squigs

I'm in the league with a few new players and knowing this army well I don't want an uber list straight away wjich is why no magic cos I got the trolls.
Eventually going into a beast list with no savages

#4 Old 03-03-12, 01:05 AM 1k Greenskins for Expansion
ExtraCrew

Thats good you don't want an uber list cause then my suggestions wouldn't be what your looking for. If you have new players than it is even more important that you take magic. They will need to learn how many dice to use how to prioritize spells, and the same for dispel if they fight you with no magic then they lose out on that aspect of the game. I find that playing with new players it is important to have a list that is balanced in all the phases.

#5 Old 03-03-12, 03:40 PM 1k Greenskins for Expansion
Ratvan
Mad as a sack of Squigs

I had a think about your point and changed the list up for a couple of friendly games with the army tonight, its got 2 spells one lore and one fire. Was a lot better to show what an army can do.

Orc BB (Gen) - 72
Gold Sigil Sword, Shield

Orc BB (BSB) - 92
Shield, Dragonhelm

Night Goblin Shaman - 75
Ruby Ring of Ruin

Boyz Mob - 260
25 Orc Big 'Uns, AHW, Mus, Std, Standard of Discipline

Night Goblins - 141
27 Night Goblins, Short Bows, Mus
2 Fanatics

Wolf Riders - 65
Short Bows, Mus

Trolls - 210
6 Trolls

Lobba - 85

Total 1000

I think that people liked playing against it as well which is kind of important while still being able to take on some of the more veteran players

#6 Old 03-03-12, 03:55 PM 1k Greenskins for Expansion
Takana77
Takana77's Flag is: USA

if you're trying to give them a fun experience against O&G, take a doom diver in lieu of the lobber. smart bomb/guided missile (as smart/guided as a gobbo can be) technology in it's infancy.

use the 5points spare and swap the gold sigil sword for sword of might for S5.

since you picked EHW for the orc block, why not go savage orcs since their warpaint save won't get lowered by profile/weapon strength/armour piercing?

at 1k points level is a bsb really req'd?

probably want to atleast find a way to get a champ in the night gobbo block to take fights for shaman.

if you drop the bsb, you could grab 1-2 night gobbo bb's with just gw's. that's some s6 attacks behind the fanatics that will give someone pause for thought. or another fanatic.

oh well, just some thoughts, hope it helps.

tak

Last edited by Takana77; 03-03-12 at 04:00 PM.

#7 Old 03-04-12, 11:04 PM 1k Greenskins for Expansion
ExtraCrew

I like the new list a lot better, for an army to play against new players it is great. Its a list that wont make new players hate the game from their first battle. Had a guy play in a local expansion league like yours who from the start was about power and wins. He alone scared of some new players that joined to learn. So I think this list shows how orcs are played. It also involves all aspects of the game.

Its also a great list to show new players a balanced list and it can help them understand where their list needs improvement. Also to give them an idea of where to take their army as they expand.

The rest will come down to if your a good person to play against. Good luck.

#8 Old 03-04-12, 11:25 PM 1k Greenskins for Expansion
Ratvan
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Cheers tak gav m something to think about when I expand.

I changed the Big 'Uns equipment around, to give them HW&S mae them last that little bit longer

Last edited by Ratvan; 03-05-12 at 09:36 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > Warhammer Armylists > Orcs and Goblins Army Lists