40K Tzeentch

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

40K Tzeentch

Modelling and Painting

#1 Old 01-15-10, 10:49 AM 40K Tzeentch
Dave T Hobbit
Tzeentch laughs at likely
Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Default 40K Tzeentch

I am feeling as if I have had my own Chaos Warband Quest to get here.

First the descent into the vasty deeps to raid the Clart Horde for my wife's old digital camera.

Secondly, a search for the Charged Batteries of Compatibility.

Then, starting a dawn, quested I across the house seeking a location with soft yet strong light.

Finally, as promised some photographs of my models:

Soullgrinder, which doubles as a Defiler.

CSM Daemon Prince

Thousand Sons Rhino

Sadly but unsurprisingly ,as I have not used a camera in anger for years, none of the other pictures came out at all well.

As my wife's photographs with her shiny new digital mobile actually look like things, I might suggest photographing my models is (i) artistic and (ii) something we could do together.

Last edited by Dave T Hobbit; 01-20-10 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Replaced images with cropped versions
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 01-15-10, 12:32 PM 40K Tzeentch
tu_shan82
tu_shan82's Flag is: Australia

Good work man, have some rep.
We don't need to use any military force to defeat the imperium, we'll just send GW legal at them. As soon as they see the first sign of a thunderhawk gunship, their IP infringement addled brains will go into meltdown - they'll smash everything out of the sky with cease and desist letters.

#3 Old 01-15-10, 04:48 PM 40K Tzeentch
Dave T Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
...As my wife's photographs with her shiny new digital mobile actually look like things, I might suggest photographing my models is (i) artistic and (ii) something we could do together....
In the unlikely event this cunning plan fails, I should probably have a back up plan. Anyone point me at a good article/site for troubleshooting digital photography, so I can minimise spending valuable painting time on more random experimentation.

#4 Old 01-15-10, 05:11 PM 40K Tzeentch
bloodthrister
bloodthrister's Flag is: Netherlands

well, I'm not exactly a pro when it comes to photographing mini's I do have some tips for you:

Use a white sheet of paper and hold it like this: (quick example made on paint )

this way you'll have a nice background for photographing, and it makes the mini's pop out a little better.

Next is the lighting:
Use a daylight lamp, with a sheet of paper hanging in front of it to dim it down a little. (don't put the paper straight on the lamp, because the lamp might get hot!!!) This gives a very good light to photograph with.

last but not least: use the miniature mode (a flower icon) on you camera. (dont know wether your camera has it, or wether you've used it, but this one really reveals a lot of details on a photo.)

when using those hints you'll probablly get a photo like this one (I used mij Nokia N95's camera for this one )

I know it still isn't perfect, but it sure looks good, and the background isn't very distracting (and the shadow on the background makes him looks a little more evil IMO, but you can Photoshop that away if you want ;)

Now on to the mini's:

I really like the mini's you have! The only thing I don't really like is the soul grinder's head, it just looks too small IMO.

I do have a question: which head did you use for the Daemon Prince??? And which wings? They look very nice

Last edited by bloodthrister; 01-15-10 at 05:19 PM.

#5 Old 01-15-10, 05:54 PM 40K Tzeentch
Sir Whittaker

Love the soulgrinder/defiler, how did paint the daemon flesh? It's awesome! Like the twisting and warping Tzeentch feel it has too.

#6 Old 01-15-10, 07:59 PM 40K Tzeentch
Dave T Hobbit

Thank you all for your comments.

I might even summon the will to try photographing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodthrister View Post
...Use a white sheet of paper... this way you'll have a nice background for photographing, and it makes the mini's pop out a little better....
I tried that first; as I live in the basement I could not find an indoor light source that gave any contrast without the flash, and everything washed out with the flash on, so the pictures are taken outside ni the garden, where my sheet of paper blew away!

Quote:
...Use a daylight lamp, with a sheet of paper hanging in front of it to dim it down a little. (don't put the paper straight on the lamp, because the lamp might get hot!!!) This gives a very good light to photograph with....
Good idea.

Quote:
...use the miniature mode (a flower icon) on you camera. (dont know wether your camera has it, or wether you've used it, but this one really reveals a lot of details on a photo.)....
It does; I found that after the first round of failures and thought it would solve all my problems; I have a horrible feeling the camera just has a really long lower focal bound.

Quote:
...I don't really like is the soul grinder's head, it just looks too small IMO....
That might be an issue with the photograph. It is actually the head from the kit; I remounted it in the centre of the body as an homage to the old style Horrors.

Quote:
...which head did you use for the Daemon Prince??? And which wings? They look very nice
They are both from a Wood Elf War Hawk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Whittaker View Post
Love the soulgrinder/defiler, how did paint the daemon flesh? It's awesome! Like the twisting and warping Tzeentch feel it has too.
The flesh is
  1. Black undercoat/primer
  2. Ultramarine Blue over all of it
  3. Enchanted blue leaving UM Blue showing in recesses
  4. 2:1 Enchanted Blue/Ice Blue mix leaving some Enchanted Blue showing
  5. 1:1 Enchanted Blue/Ice Blue mix on the edges of areas I wanted to stand out
  6. dots/thin lines of Ice Blue to accentuate
  7. wash of Asurmen Blue

#7 Old 01-19-10, 04:44 PM 40K Tzeentch
Dave T Hobbit

Having just about hacked the really precise fixed focal length on the camera a few (hopefully) better pictures.

First, a view of my pet Space Puppy:

One of my other Spawn:

Depending on my mood either a Terminator Champion or Sorcerer Lord:

More Terminators:

The other Defiler:

And some mutant Chosen:

Two Lightning Claws

Power Weapon

Body of a Flamer

Last edited by Dave T Hobbit; 01-20-10 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Replaced images with cropped versions

#8 Old 01-20-10, 02:18 PM 40K Tzeentch
JB Mallus
JB Mallus's Flag is: USA

If you can.... try and crop the pictures so that it focuses on the mini. If you don't have the software I would suggest either Irfanview or Gimp.
You are making progress on the photo front

JB Mallus

#9 Old 01-20-10, 06:05 PM 40K Tzeentch
Dave T Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Mallus View Post
...If you can.... try and crop the pictures so that it focuses on the mini. If you don't have the software I would suggest either Irfanview or Gimp....
Good call. GIMP is really easy to use.

Amazed at how much better they look just with cropping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Mallus View Post
...You are making progress on the photo front ....
Thank you.

This reminds me why I gave up photography though; the judging distances by eye, focusing on the appearance of things instead of their value, half an inch making the difference between success and failure... hang on a second...

#10 Old 01-20-10, 06:13 PM 40K Tzeentch
KhainiteAssassin
KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

In my WIP, I have a bunch of pictures taken by a moderately cheap digital camera.

The way I do it is simple: 1. get good lightning (I use Florescent lights) 2. get a tripod to steadyness. 3. turn the flash off, and small object mode on, and 4. find a way to open the camera shutter. if your camera auto adjusts aslong as the shutter is open abit more to take in more light, it will make the models come out much crisper. It took me practice on how to get the models coming out perfectly in the pics though, since is the camera shakes while you open the shutter more, it will blur the pics.
Dark Eldar - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting