my tournament list take

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists

my tournament list take

Grey Knights Army Lists

#1 Old 02-16-12, 01:05 PM my tournament list take
inqusitor magneto
Default my tournament list take

2000 pt list

Mordrake + 2 ghost knights/ 2halberbs=240

LIBBY-teleport homer-sword-servo skull-2 powers=180
santuary+warp rift

paladin-5 man-2psycannons-1banner-5 halberds=340

Vindicar-1, pre-made character=145

purifiers-5 man,4halberds-1psycannon=138

dreadnought-1-2autocannons-pysbolt-lights=136

terminators-5man, 5 halberds=200

strike squad-10man, swords+2psycannons combat squad=220

strike squad-10man, swords+2 psycannons combat squad=220

interceptor squad 5man, swords 1 psycannon=140

(take it apart gents/ladies)

Last edited by inqusitor magneto; 02-16-12 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 02-16-12, 10:13 PM my tournament list take
Cho Kai
Cho Kai's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by inqusitor magneto View Post
2000 pt list

Mordrake + 2 ghost knights/ 2halberbs=240

LIBBY-teleport homer-sword-servo skull-2 powers=180
santuary+warp rift
What are you trying to deep strike off the teleport homer and 1x Servo Skull? Eliminating one target that you only need to walk close to is really simple, either field more skulls or spend the points on something more useful.

Quote:
paladin-5 man-2psycannons-1banner-5 halberds=340
Trade in the Banner on your Paladin squad for a N. Warding Staff ... you will make your points back on that. The 25pts for the banner is steep for only +2 Power Weapon Attacks (as your banner carrier loses his weapon)... it works much better on larger squads.

Quote:
Vindicar-1, pre-made character=145
Always a solid choice, no complaints

Quote:
purifiers-5 man,4halberds-1psycannon=138
Max out your psycannons when you can, if you can free up only an extra 8pts you can get a second on this squad (in lieu of the Halberd upgrade)... it is the cheapest psycannon you can purchase with this Codex so don't miss out if you can avoid it.

Quote:
dreadnought-1-2autocannons-pysbolt-lights=136
Always a solid choice, no complaints

Quote:
terminators-5man, 5 halberds=200
Nice CC squad, but I would like to see a Hammer in case you end up trying to melee a walker/tank. Guaranteed hits are important.

Quote:
strike squad-10man, swords+2psycannons combat squad=220

strike squad-10man, swords+2 psycannons combat squad=220

interceptor squad 5man, swords 1 psycannon=140
Lots of Warp Quake! I like the coverage... combat squad them for more psychic activations and specialization.

(take it apart gents/ladies)[/quote]

#3 Old 02-17-12, 12:53 PM my tournament list take
inqusitor magneto

interesting,
modrak DS turn 1 with libby in cover. 3+ cover save and the libby is the pawn to my master plan. what cant i deep strike off the libby lol. terminator, paladins, strike squad, interceptor squads. with GM ability i can turn d3 to troops or outflank. its an orchestra of attacks and shots coming from everywhere.

The skull. you are forgetting about missions. the skull is for random drop as well as denying enemy scout move in an area i can not go to BA, orks eldar, IG, Marines have scouts and infiltrators. A surprise of d3-12" circumfrence from the skull is good to. you always have a backup for GK. to many times i have seen GK players make the mistake of no backup.

The stave is a interesting replacemnet and i had not thought of that icon in a long time. will think about it as i prefer the 3/4 attack with halberds. plus auto activate Fwpns.

there are no more pts left for an additional psycannon plus id rather a halberd then another cannon which will bring attention to a 5 man squad.

again i prefer halberds to hammer and as for dreadnoughts. the pyscannons take them down as i have 8. i took down a whole army of dreadnoughts to test out my theory. i saw the smirk leaving my opponent by turn 2 when they noticed their whole army of armour being ravaged. its something to think about but as for tournaments i loath going last with the hammer. but its free so i can play test.

10 man squads can combat squad. i make choice for each battle i fight.

will be playing this list in a tournament this weekend.

#4 Old 02-20-12, 03:26 PM my tournament list take
Hellgore
Hellgore's Flag is: Germany

How did your list fare at the tournament? It doesn't appear to be truly optimized in all aspects to me, so I'd really like to know how your battles went.

#5 Old 02-21-12, 12:37 PM my tournament list take
inqusitor magneto
Default Very optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgore View Post
How did your list fare at the tournament? It doesn't appear to be truly optimized in all aspects to me, so I'd really like to know how your battles went.

HAHAHAHHA,

3rd place. lost second place by 7 points. i made a mistake on an objective, plus the game only lasted 3 turns. opponent was delaying intentionally once mordrak bomb dropped.

Sorry but it is very optimized. I had the least casualties in all my games. I had the other players coming in slow on my side with their vehicles because of my psycannons and assasin. The vehicles that survided the mordrak strike became sacred. DS was nearly impossible on my side or even good parts of the table. for my 4 games each one i dictated the scope of how my opponent played. there games did not go smooth once mordrak came down.

needless to say another grey knight player won the tournament lol. he actually complemented my listed and was thankful i didnt play him. it was interesting we didnt play each other but oh well.

My list is able to take on mass troops and my armour. i spit out more fire power then marine list. i hit better then orks and tyranids stay away from my purifiers and paladines

I just have to change some minor things on my list. going to take out the banner and add another psycannon to purifiers and do something with the extra points. hmmm or i could add another purifier hmmm i am at 1999 and only need 1 point to add a halberd. ohhh list from dreadnought.

#6 Old 02-21-12, 02:46 PM my tournament list take
Hellgore

Oh, don't misunderstand me. With optimized I meant unit configs/equipment, like the missing 2nd psycannon on the purifiers, the banner on a 5 men squad or no hammers on the GKSS. Not the list as a whole. I do like the mixture of that many different units. It confuses an opponent about what to kill when.

Although I have to say that I cannot consider Mordrak, the Libby and two ghosts as a "bomb". They have nothing but warprift and a few stormbolters on turn one when they arrive. It rather speaks for your skills as a player than the strength of the list itself that you made it third place, imho. How many participants where there? Some details about the other list would be interesting, too.

Last edited by Hellgore; 02-21-12 at 02:55 PM.

#7 Old 02-21-12, 04:03 PM my tournament list take
inqusitor magneto
Default oh yeah

you and your complements make me blush so. This list is that much deadly not for the units i have mind you bolters on the back of a vehicle can roll a 6 more then not. but the fact that i land those guys in cover hope that mordrak gets a wound (everyone always looks at me strange when i wound him). watch then go oh crap. Then warp rift a few vehicles that are together. I can potentially fire on more then one target with that group & i have a homer.

to give a small brief of how good they are. i took over 60 yes 60 shots to that unit in 3 turns before they finally died.I also made 2 more ghost knights as well as in return i destroyed 7 units. The libby alone took 26 shots by himself. no lie i was rolling saves like crazy

Basically i am playing a symthony once they drop and composing an ochestra of hard hitting units. I dont need hammers as i have enough psycannons to deal with dreads. I want my SS/IS to be ignored. they take objectives. the purifiers 2nd pyscannon is an option. a minor one but an option still. unless the hammer is free i wont touch them & even so i like going first with power wpns. i can shoot more then charge more.

in a GT last year(battle for salvation) i made it to 4th place out of 65 players. i didnt have hammers and i had incinerators on the purifiers in a rhino. then again i was using outflank.

#8 Old 02-22-12, 01:22 PM my tournament list take
OddJob

First off, Magneto me old china- sort your posts out. They are incredibly difficult to read.

I'd be interested to know how exactly the mordrak bomb works because I'm just not seeing it. None of my more competative armies are even remotely concerned about him appearing on turn one, especially not in a squad of four bods. He either drops close to me to bring in reinforcements on turn two (where he get's munched in double quick time so turn two isn't an issue) or he drops further away so what's the point (you could have moved there in a turn)?

Not to mention warp quake/coteaz making DSing difficult.

#9 Old 02-22-12, 02:13 PM my tournament list take
inqusitor magneto

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJob View Post
First off, Magneto me old china- sort your posts out. They are incredibly difficult to read.

I'd be interested to know how exactly the mordrak bomb works because I'm just not seeing it. None of my more competative armies are even remotely concerned about him appearing on turn one, especially not in a squad of four bods. He either drops close to me to bring in reinforcements on turn two (where he get's munched in double quick time so turn two isn't an issue) or he drops further away so what's the point (you could have moved there in a turn)?

Not to mention warp quake/coteaz making DSing difficult.
OKay it is simple. It is a two style attack.

1st if i go first I aim at a bunch of vehicles or troops with cover near by.
this allows me to get a cover saves from melta & las cannons. I then put warp rift on my target and if armour ten i fire at the back armour. My DS units and scout units can then come in by turn 2 and 3.

2nd If you go 1st You can put forth warp quake but as an engineer i know where the 12" cir.is. A mental ruler is in my head all the time. I can still aim at a vehicle that would be out of your 12" branch or line up in your deployment zone.

Like i said guys anytime you want to test it out GW store in NYC, email me when your in town and ill make some time. Ive played 25 games with mordrak with vets & gt and he never dies in turn 1 or 2 maybe 4 or 5 after he has done his job in destroying more points then he is worth.

all players i have matched and seen stick vehicles in 2's behind/inside cover. this allows me to stay close and get my own cover. i start taking out your vehicles and leaving your troops on foot. if you charge mordrak's unit then fine, my line of defense is sanctuary & halberds. This also mean you are taking a unit or 2 away from the battle to deal with them. If you dont then the unit will go around bothering units/vehicles and droping hard units as they go. I also have a hood on the field with leadership 10 against your ldr 9. warp quake. It does not always go off ya know. no IC leadership to use it either. dont forget i can also potentially spawn more units from mordrak.

Being playful as a grey knight now.

"This is a game of numbers. I am just using the best tools to my side for better numbers. why you cant see the tactic as being dangerous is beyond me. Perhaps you have never seen mordrak used in this way. perhaps you can not imagine an attack and lack the vision to anticipate this sort of scheme. Vets, GT players and GW employees see it as potentially dangerous. They like the numbers and strategy i play by always having a backup."

#10 Old 02-22-12, 02:26 PM my tournament list take
Hellgore

Already played that against Gks? When a unit of Purifiers charging you just wipes that 4 body unit out because your set to I1 due to being psyker?
I have played some 20 games with Mordrak in different variations concerning the list around him but no opponent gave me the bonus of clogging up his vehicles like you describe it. They were always close and hard games against SW and BA and I lost more than I won. Something that doesn't happen now anymore.

Your list still looks overall apealing to me because it includes so many different units and thus it would let me field more of my other minis. I really like that. But I wouldn't take it to a tournament.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Grey Knights Army Lists