1500pts Throne Of Skulls - Emperor's Children List A Or B?!

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Chaos Marines Army Lists

#1 Old 01-05-12, 11:39 PM 1500pts Throne Of Skulls - Emperor's Children List A Or B?!
Jaraka
Jaraka's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hey folks,

An interesting one for you all here. I need help picking one of the two below lists for the January Throne of Skulls at Warhammer World. Before I begin however, I would like to point out that I am a competitive player, but not at the sake of theme. Please don't suggest changes such as Princes/Plague/Oblits. If I wanted that I wouldn't have done an army and called them 'Emperor's Children' - I would have done an army and called it 'Copy and Paste Chaos List number 4523...'

Anyway, you get the idea. I don't want to change the units below but am up for any constructive suggestions within my theme. Basically, it has become apparent to me that it may not be necessary to have more then 2 scoring units in 1500pts. Please feel free to refute this - but in my experience, at least 2 of my noise marine units survive when I use 3. Also you don't need scoring units if you table your opponent

So here goes:

List A

Sorc
MoS
Lash
Familiar
Warptime
Melta Bombs 160pts

Sorc
MoS
Lash
Melta Bombs 130pts

x5 Noise Marines (with Sorc)
x4 Sonic Blasters
x1 Blast Master
x1 Rhino
x1 Havoc Launcher 210pts

x4 Sonic Blasters
x1 Blast Master
x1 Rhino
x1 Havoc Launcher 210pts

x6 Noise Marines
x1 Champ upgrade
x1 Doom Siren
x1 Power Fist
x1 Melta Bombs
x4 Sonic Blasters
x1 Blast Master
x1 Rhino
x1 Havoc Launcher 290pts

x1 Predator
x1 Las Sponsons
x1 Twin Las 165pts

x1 Predator
x1 Las Sponsons
x1 Twin Las 165pts

x1 Predator
x1 Las Sponsons
x1 Twin Las 165pts

1495pts

OR

List B

Sorc
MoS
Lash 125pts

Sorc
MoS
Lash 125pts

x4 Sonic Blasters
x1 Blast Master
x1 Rhino
x1 Havoc Launcher 210pts

x4 Sonic Blasters
x1 Blast Master
x1 Rhino
x1 Havoc Launcher 210pts

x1 Dread
x1 Heavy Flamer
x1 Missile Launcher (Blastmaster proxy and safe for me)

x1 Dread
x1 Heavy Flamer

x1 Dread
x1 Heavy Flamer

x1 Predator
x1 Las Sponsons
x1 Twin Las 165pts

x1 Predator
x1 Las Sponsons
x1 Twin Las 165pts

x1 Predator
x1 Las Sponsons
x1 Twin Las 165pts

1490pts

So that's it - what do you all think? Basically, list B drops one scoring unit and a Rhino and gets 3 Dreads with heavy flamers and missile launchers. Nasty. But is 2 scoring units enough?

ps

Please don't bring up the dreads being terrible units either. They're not. I use them regularly and they ALWAYS cause serious damage. Their rage is usually a benefit as I storm them toward the enemy anyway.

Cheers for looking!

Last edited by Jaraka; 01-05-12 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 01-06-12, 11:07 AM 1500pts Throne Of Skulls - Emperor's Children List A Or B?!
allisalie
allisalie's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hi mate,

Like your post and good luck with your ToS. I went to one last year and had a great time.

As far as the list go I would recommend the first one. You sound like you know what your doing and using the parking lott tactic I think you could do well.

I love my twin lash list but the problem as you prob know is getting your opponent out of their transport... and everything is mecked up these days!

I think ur second list is looking to counter this problem. I think it is a good crack at it but not as gd as a twin lash / oblit spam list. Might be worth a play test tho.

If I was to use the 2nd list tho I would run the dreads with plasma cannons. Very nasty when you last two squads on to one and drop a load of AP3 templates on them.

Hope this helps a bit.

#3 Old 01-06-12, 11:29 AM 1500pts Throne Of Skulls - Emperor's Children List A Or B?!
Ratvan
Mad as a sack of Squigs
Ratvan's Flag is: England

Firstly, liking your theme and since you know your weaknesses I'm sure you can do well.

I like the lists a lot however I am torn between the two.

If I was going to the Tournement and trying my best to place I would go for List A purely due to the 3 scoring units (I play 3 scoring at 1.5k) however I am really really tempted by list B purely by the pure amount of Dakka and Boom you can throw down.

Screw it take list B and blow sh*t up!

Good luck in yout ToS!

#4 Old 01-06-12, 11:49 AM 1500pts Throne Of Skulls - Emperor's Children List A Or B?!
Jaraka

Thanks for the comments folks - it really is a tough one!

@ Allisalie - your point about the mech and twin lash is spot on. It's exactly why the 3 dreads with another 3 S8 shots is so useful. Plus the heavy flamers work wonders on hordes As much as the Plasma synergies with lash so well - it doesn't have the transport cracking power I need. Plus in an all comers I can use frag with lash, to smack hordes.

I know what you mean about 3 scoring units and you're right about oblit spam being better at gun lining then list B... However I often come close to tabling opponents and the noise units always seem to survive - people like dropping a lot of fire power against my preds - it's almost as if 9 lascannons scare them or something.

@Ratvan - haha, you're in line with my thinking - what's more fun then blowing your opponent off the table? Interesting however that you agree with Allsalie and think that 3 scoring would place me higher... I think I need to play test it!

#5 Old 01-06-12, 11:59 AM 1500pts Throne Of Skulls - Emperor's Children List A Or B?!
allisalie
allisalie's Flag is: United Kingdom

List 2 is nasty but any good player is going to be able to spank you and there will be plenty gd players at the ToS. The prob is your troops as u know, they will go after them and with squad sizes of only 6 you may find your self taking LD tests very quickly... And you don't want to be failing any of them. This list will find it hard to take and holding objectives, any troops will become a prime target out of cover.

"it's almost as if 9 lascannons scare them or something" - LoL !

List a is more competitive and in my view the one you should be taking to a ToS.

Last edited by allisalie; 01-06-12 at 12:03 PM.

#6 Old 01-06-12, 12:10 PM 1500pts Throne Of Skulls - Emperor's Children List A Or B?!
Jaraka

You make a safe and sound point mate. Can't disagree with your reasoning - my units aren't particularly well protected, although they are fearless, so no LD will be required... The only reason I think list B could work is because of your above reasoning. If people want to go all out an kill my scoring units, that means they won't have enough firepower to deal with the 3 dreads and preds running around - hopefully punishing them off the table by turn 5...? I don't know - you're both probably right - 3 scoring is safer - but the glory to be had with list B is tempting!

#7 Old 01-09-12, 09:10 PM 1500pts Throne Of Skulls - Emperor's Children List A Or B?!
Jaraka

Just as an update for anyone who's interested - I have now play tested List B over A in a few games against Eldar and Grey Knights. Both opponents were fielding very competitive lists and we deliberately played Objective games to test me.

Indeed, the first time I used them - I got utterly owned

HOWEVER,

With tactics now worked out and secured I'm on a roll. Basically, I start my dreads on the table in front of the predators so as to give them cover saves, so as to maximise my firepower from turn 1. I then rush the Dreads forward to wreak havoc and contest enemy objectives.

Here's the best part. I start my noise marines and sorcerers in reserve, the later they come on the better, as 1. This keeps them safe, making it very hard for an opponent to kill both units in only a few turns and 2. I use the Lashes late in the game to move my opponents off of their objectives. This has worked for me the past 3 games in a row and both my scoring units have always survived.

Hope this helps someone - so off to Throne of Skulls I go with List B!

I'll post an update with my results when I return.

#8 Old 01-09-12, 10:01 PM 1500pts Throne Of Skulls - Emperor's Children List A Or B?!
Uveron
Warsmith
Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaraka View Post
Here's the best part. I start my noise marines and sorcerers in reserve, the later they come on the better, as 1. This keeps them safe, making it very hard for an opponent to kill both units in only a few turns and 2. I use the Lashes late in the game to move my opponents off of their objectives. This has worked for me the past 3 games in a row and both my scoring units have always survived. .
Quick Point, you may look at sometimes puting both sorcerers in one squad and starting it on the table, lets you lash from the start and keeps one back for grabing the "home" objective.

as its just a matter of deployment it gives you many ways to shock oppoents who may have seen you play before, makes your games a bit more random..

The Tyrant of Badab

Last edited by Uveron; 01-09-12 at 10:10 PM.

#9 Old 01-09-12, 10:04 PM 1500pts Throne Of Skulls - Emperor's Children List A Or B?!
Jaraka

Nice point - will work great against armies that aren't meched up... I'll bear it in mind.

#10 Old 01-09-12, 10:42 PM 1500pts Throne Of Skulls - Emperor's Children List A Or B?!
Uveron
Warsmith
Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaraka View Post
Nice point - will work great against armies that aren't meched up... I'll bear it in mind.
Do you have to worry about Dawn of War battles? Because that may be an issue looking at the list... as it forces you to put one of your Noise/Sourcer blocks on the table at the start..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists